Strange Speaker Sound

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Can anyone tell me what's causing this sound? I have some Bose speakers connected to my iMac and they have periodically made this sound for about three years. They work great otherwise. It only comes from one speaker and it's usually after listening to music for a while. It gradually gets quieter and then goes away all together. Of course, I can only hear it when I'm not playing a video or music because the music drowns it out. I'm just curious about what's causing it. I'm guessing the cone is vibrating for some reason.

Audio link for the sound:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18172647/Memo.m4a

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
It almost sounds like interference in a way. Maybe unplug and plug them back in a few times and/or clean the connector plug going into the computer. ?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
It almost sounds like interference in a way. Maybe unplug and plug them back in a few times and/or clean the connector plug going into the computer. ?
I was thinking along the same line, except that it might be caused by some sort of "cross-over" interference from another electronic device plugged into the same socket or circuit (breaker.) My suggestion is to try plugging the speakers into another outlet on a different circuit that doesn't have an active appliance or device plugged into it. I know very little about the technical aspects of circuits and electricity so I'm just guessing here.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks. Just used some compressed air and I'll get an extension cord and give that a try.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If the more logical/sane solutions offered by our friends above don't work out, then, someone may be trying to communicate with you. Is your house situated on an ancient burial site, by any chance?
I had not considered that! And I love the movie White Noise - I wached I twice in one week last month. Too bad it threw my VCRs away when the pawn shop didn't want them (they had stacks of them). ;)