First you need a jailbroken iPhone...
Install OrbLive onto your iPhone.
Installer/multimedia/OrbLive.
Then download Orb to your PC @ Orb.com
Creat an username and password.
Set your TV channels.

Once you are done, tap the little green icon
on your homescreen that you installed on your iPhone
and enter the username a password and your done.

pretty nice hope you guys like it. I did.
One more thing you do need a compatible vide card.
Diamond PVR660 works great.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
PC only. Just have to throw that out there right away. I felt bad going gaga over this app myself before realizing it's PC only.

But..... if you are PC, you need this app! It's by far the best-designed iPhone remote media app you could imagine. I'm very impressed with the speed.

Sep 7, 2007
I absolutely love this app. I can see myself using it everyday, don't know about the effect on my battery life though... Or if ATT will notice a crazy spike in data usage...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah this is one of those apps that will make me hold on to my jailbreak until I know for sure I can run it on iPhone 2.0.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
PC only. Just have to throw that out there right away. I felt bad going gaga over this app myself before realizing it's PC only.

But..... if you are PC, you need this app! It's by far the best-designed iPhone remote media app you could imagine. I'm very impressed with the speed.
True, but I've got it running on Parallels. ;)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
When I got to work this morning, I wanted to check out Dave's suggestion that it can work over EDGE. I got it running. But, I am curious with regard to battery consumption. Do you have any feedback on whether you can watch a full movie without having to plug into an AC power source?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
When I got to work this morning, I wanted to check out Dave's suggestion that it can work over EDGE. I got it running. But, I am curious with regard to battery consumption. Do you have any feedback on whether you can watch a full movie without having to plug into an AC power source?
I don't have any hard data on that, all I know is that when I just do basic web surfing at work on Edge, it is the most draining thing I do with my phone. I would say 2 hours of constant streaming as well as video playback would put quite a hurtin' on your poor little phone.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thought so, as well. I wonder how the picture will look on a TV via the AV cable?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
My fried is running over a copy of Vista for me tonight so I can create a virtual machine with VMware. I'll have tot try this out.

- Jogb

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
My fried is running over a copy of Vista for me tonight so I can create a virtual machine with VMware. I'll have tot try this out.

- Jogb
Works great with Parallels. Just need to make sure that you set the correct path in Orb configuration. My iMac hard drives show up as network drives in the virtual machine.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's pretty slick. Is parallels a big drain on your computer, or can you leave it running Orb in the background all the time without really noticing? Just curious...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
The nice thing about the Core 2 Duo computers is that the virtual machine and the Mac OS don't have to share cores. Essentially, Windows and OS X run on their own processors. OS X can always consume the windows CPU resource, but not the other way around.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
That's the thing with me Boot Camp and I. The only reason I have a need for Windows is certain apps like this. But I want to be able to use my Mac for things like browsing at the same time.

- John

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
That's the thing with me Boot Camp and I. The only reason I have a need for Windows is certain apps like this. But I want to be able to use my Mac for things like browsing at the same time.

- John
Here is a screen shot showing CPU usage of both my VM and OS X:

Orb1.jpg

Orb2.jpg

Orb3.jpg

As you can see, neither machine is stressed. :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I guess the real CPU drain is when it's processing a video for streaming. And at those times, you're not there are ya :)

But I agree, as a fervent multitasker, multi-core CPUs have been a blessing. I've got 2x2 right now, but would love to pop in some 8-cores someday for 16 :D

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I get video in my pc using the s-video input on my capture card. The video comes from a sat box. Orb detects the card as a tuner, I check the s-video option but then goes on to ask for a zip code to download a program guide etc.., which does not apply to me. Anyone knows how to set it up to simply stream what I am getting on the s-video input?

First you need a jailbroken iPhone...
Install OrbLive onto your iPhone.
Installer/multimedia/OrbLive.
Then download Orb to your PC @ Orb.com
Creat an username and password.
Set your TV channels.

Once you are done, tap the little green icon
on your homescreen that you installed on your iPhone
and enter the username a password and your done.

pretty nice hope you guys like it. I did.
One more thing you do need a compatible vide card.
Diamond PVR660 works great.