Streaming Audio on iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
My first post, so please be gentle.

I am a member of a few discussion boards and know that I should "use the search feature" and "look before you post", but I would really appreciate a quick easy answer to a quick easy question.

I recently was able to sit down with a friend's iPhone and play with it.
I was quite impressed. I decided to do research and perhaps buy one.

I visited three ATT stores today and walked out of each with: No answers/conflicting answers/aggravation/headache.

My simple question:
Am I able to listen to streaming audio (NHL.com, radio stations, MLB.com, etc) on an iPhone using ANY software available on (or for) the iPhone?
Can the phone be "modified"?

The conflicting explanations I received today will remain unspoken here.

If an answer is forthcoming, I thank you. If I could to be directed to relevant posts, I would be appreciative.

The ONLY thing that is keeping me from buying an iPhone TODAY is this one point.

I am confused.
Thank you

Dana

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My first post, so please be gentle.

I am a member of a few discussion boards and know that I should "use the search feature" and "look before you post", but I would really appreciate a quick easy answer to a quick easy question.

I recently was able to sit down with a friend's iPhone and play with it.
I was quite impressed. I decided to do research and perhaps buy one.

I visited three ATT stores today and walked out of each with: No answers/conflicting answers/aggravation/headache.

My simple question:
Am I able to listen to streaming audio (NHL.com, radio stations, MLB.com, etc) on an iPhone using ANY software available on (or for) the iPhone?
Can the phone be "modified"?

The conflicting explanations I received today will remain unspoken here.

If an answer is forthcoming, I thank you. If I could to be directed to relevant posts, I would be appreciative.

The ONLY thing that is keeping me from buying an iPhone TODAY is this one point.

I am confused.
Thank you

Dana
The question is not that simple. But to answer, "Can the iPhone stream audio via the Internet?" The answer is yes.

You can do it without modifying (jailbreaking) your iPhone via several Websites, one being vtap.com (primarily video).

I can stream radio stations via the 3rd party iRadio app (this requires a jailbroken iPhone). The list of stations available on iRadio is far from complete (the app is less than two weeks old).

Does that mean you can stream anything out there on the Web to the iPhone? Absolutely not. NHL.com, for example, uses Windows Media Format for streaming. That will not work with the iPhone.

--
Mike

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Thank you Rip and thank you Tinman/Mike.
(I like the fact that there is a count of times thanked on this board. I ALWAYS say thank you).

I tried another ATT store today and got some better information. I guess the fourth time is a charm.

I discovered the reason (hopefully correct) that some lower end phones made by Motorola and LG are able to access online feeds (NHL, MLB etc) is that they are on the G3 system/network (I think G3 is what he said) and the iPhone is on the _______ network, (I do NOT remember the name of the present iPhone network).

I asked him if that seemed to be a wise move by Apple and ATT to have their $400 phone be unable to do things that an $80 Razr can. He said that the NEXT iPhone will be on the G3 network so the iPhone will be able to do more "media" type things.He said it might be a year (or so) until the "G3" iPhone is released.
Is that correct?

Hypothetical question:
Would the present ______ network iPhone need to be REPLACED when the "new" G3 iPhone comes out, or will it be able to be upgraded,etc? In other words: Am I wasting $400 buying this iPhone?

Tinman, you mentioned IRadio. I went to that website and located many of the radio stations I would like to listen to there. They had links for Real Player, Windows Media Player and Winamp to listen live.
Is the iPhone capable of using those "non-Apple" applications?

Beginner questions: I will do more research on this topic, and be better informed tomorrow, but thought I would ask here anyway:

A Jailbroken iPhone with a 3rd party app will allow me to listen to stations on the I Phone.

I will do the research on Jailbreaking, but where would I get (and what would be) the 3rd party app that you use that would allow me to listen?

Thank you again, Rip and Tinman/Mike.

Dana

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Wait a minute.
The Google search I did for Iradio was not an application but a list of radio stations.

IS the IRadio that you were referring to the Iradio 1.3 by 3aLab?

I already feel like I am getting in over my head here.....

Dana

alinton

Oct 28, 2007
If you Jailbreak the iPhone you'll get an 'installer' icon.

Then within that, there's a 'multimedia' section which contains 'iradio' - which does allow you to listen to streams;

But its only in beta at the moment and has a limited list of stations, all of which seem to be 'ambient'!

I'm also waiting for the time that I can select any station that I know is streaming, or even put in its IP number and port manually.

rgds

Andy.

Wait a minute.
The Google search I did for Iradio was not an application but a list of radio stations.

IS the IRadio that you were referring to the Iradio 1.3 by 3aLab?

I already feel like I am getting in over my head here.....

Dana

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Since migrating from Pocket PC, streaming radio is the thing I miss most. Most of the (well 2 actually) stations I listened to require Real Audio or WMP to stream, and I don't expect to see those on iPhone any time soon.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You can listen to streaming audio with out jailbreaking your iPhone.

Download and install orb (www.orb.com) on to your PC at home.

Use the internet radio favorites section at mycast.orb.com to bookmark all your favorite internet audio streams. The format does not mater. When you visit mycast.orb.com on your iPhone orb will detect you are using safari and convert the streams to mp3.

So far I am able to get all streams working, including XM and Sirius, except streams from clear channel stations. Clear Channel sets a token so you have to use there ad loaded player.

Most internet audio these days is embedded in to flash players so do not add the url to the player to mycast.orb it will not work. You will need a program like URL helper to find the url to the actual stream.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
You can listen to streaming audio with out jailbreaking your iPhone.

Download and install orb (www.orb.com) on to your PC at home.

Use the internet radio favorites section at mycast.orb.com to bookmark all your favorite internet audio streams. The format does not mater. When you visit mycast.orb.com on your iPhone orb will detect you are using safari and convert the streams to mp3.

So far I am able to get all streams working, including XM and Sirius, except streams from clear channel stations. Clear Channel sets a token so you have to use there ad loaded player.

Most internet audio these days is embedded in to flash players so do not add the url to the player to mycast.orb it will not work. You will need a program like URL helper to find the url to the actual stream.
Will this work only on Windows? Is there a Mac method too?

Thanks.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Alinton and 420 Greg.
Thank you.

I went to orb.com. I downloaded the app. I went to websites that I wanted to bookmark and copied the urls for each one.
Many of them had long addresses with "player" somewhere in the address.
Is this the "flash" player you are referring to?
I also downloaded url helper and got that to work (sort of).

I found a stream player that I "examined" with url helper. NOTHING showed on the url screen. How long does it normally take? Also, I am not sure I am using url helper correctly. I open the "Player" of the stream I want to examine and start urlhelper "sniffing". I get nothing. Is there some sort of step I am missing? Am I supposed to somehow load the player address into urlhelper, or does it just "hear" that the player is playing.

I got ONE address to work in Orb and it was and address with numbers only.

The other urls (with player in the address) Orb does not recognize them as valid urls, but when I copy and paste the urls into my browser (IE6) the page loads and the player plays.

Does urlhelper locate the address for the stream itself (inside the player window).

I am sorry for such naive questions , but I am trying to learn, and was taught the best way to learn is to ask the people who know.

Dana

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I have been going at it for over an hour.
NOTHING.

420greg, I have XM. Might you be able to give me instructions as to how to get this damn thing to work with a url (XM-from your experience) that I KNOW works.

I am very very frustrated.
Thanks again

Dana

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have been going at it for over an hour.
NOTHING.

420greg, I have XM. Might you be able to give me instructions as to how to get this damn thing to work with a url (XM-from your experience) that I KNOW works.

I am very very frustrated.
Thanks again

Dana
Download uXM [SIZE=-1]from www.millardsoftware.com[/SIZE]
and install it on the same machine running the ORB client.

After uXM logs in you can click the url button for the URL of the channel you want to bookmark paste it in to mycast.orb. You have leave orb and uxm running for this to work.

About your other issues it sounds like you may be trying to add some clear channel streams. This will not work. Clear Channel only lets you use their player so you can not book mark the streams in mycast.

Here is the original thread we used to get streaming through orb working. It has solutions for the most common problems.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/sirius-on-iphone.5543/

Last edited by a moderator:

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I found a stream player that I "examined" with url helper. NOTHING showed on the url screen. How long does it normally take? Also, I am not sure I am using url helper correctly. I open the "Player" of the stream I want to examine and start urlhelper "sniffing". I get nothing. Is there some sort of step I am missing? Am I supposed to somehow load the player address into urlhelper, or does it just "hear" that the player is playing.

Dana
Open url helper and click sniff network. Open your stream. Pay attention to the url helper window as your stream starts to play. You should see the URL that points directly to the stream in the window. This is the url that needs to be pasted in to orb.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Okay.
Now I get (part) of it.

Thanks 420greg. Success. XM works great!

I have located links to many of the other streams I wanted, but am still having problems with some of the others.

I have examples:
This is the url of a station I listen to
http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/Player/Player.php?PlayerID=633

And another:
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/mini.cgi?membername=wktz&site=PLR-wktz&tm=1194974125968

This frustrates me. I think Live365 are mp3 streams.

I tried to load those urlss into Orb. No luck.
I tried to find those urls with urlhelper. No luck

Could you try to find the urls with urlhelper and let me know how you did it.

The urlhelper is really getting on my nerves.
I know what I have to do. I just can't seem to get over the hump.

Much success thanks to you.
Dana

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Is there a way to locate the ACTUAL URL that plays on my real/windows media/winamp?

If I knew HOW to find a playing url my problems would be solved.
I can find them, get them to play, and CANNOT LOCATE what I am looking for.

Thanks
Dana

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Much like clear channel live365 sets a token which can be seen in the url in url helper. Streams with a token will not work until the iPhone gets flash.

I am not seeing the whom stream in url helper at all. It has a password to log in anyway so it will not work with orb.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Download uXM [SIZE=-1]from www.millardsoftware.com[/SIZE]
and install it on the same machine running the ORB client.
Do you need to be an XM subscriber to get this to work on Orb? Ive been able to get other stations working in orb but nothing XM and I would love me some Squiz!

And I don't mean to change subjects but I cant get ANY video to work with Orb. It just sits there on my phone and then I get an error on my PC about checking the firewall settings to allow two way traffic. I forwarded some ports and still couldnt get it going. I don't remember what ports at this time. I have a Linksys WRT54G router.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
420greg.
Thanks again.

I understand the issues related to the Live 365 and the Clear Channel stations. Thank you.

ANY stream with a password will NOT run orb?

I set urlhelper to run on other streams and let in run for over an hour and got no hits at all.

I am sorry to say I am not sure what network adapter to sniff.
I am not an "inside the tower" computer guy. I can process what is going on, but don't always understand it.
However, I follow directions very well.

How would I find if I AM sniffing the right network adapter?
I have 3.

1-Adapter for generic dialup and VPN capture.
This one does not seem to work and has no IP.

2-Intel Pro Wireless 2915 ABG Network.......
This does work and has an IP.

3-Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated....
This also works and has an IP.

Other than that, I really do not understand what is going on here (I do not expect you to explain it to me), but thanks to you (and others) and this board, I am learning and advancing my knowledge.

IMerlin:
A question I CAN answer!

Yes, you DO have to be a subscriber to XM (or Sirius) to access the online feeds. Thanks to 420greg and the app he directed me to, accessing the XM feed was the easiest thing I did all day

I wish the rest of this would be so easy.

Dana