Streaming Audio / Video?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

charlich

Jun 18, 2007
Streaming audio

Do any of you think the iPhone will have the ability to stream audio or video?
I would be somewhat happier if more online audio and video links could be played. I did find one site that actually uses this technology with Quicktime. Chck the listen button.
www.todayiniPhone.com

Also, I found online mp3 files that can be listened to at the VOA website. Reports by individual journalists only can be heard online. Also, mp3 files can be heard online at Radio Netherlands. All of the above leads me to believe that their must be more mp3's that are available using Quicktime.

G

gracetime

A real test for iPhone and a darwin Stream

:eek:
Do any of you think the iPhone will have the ability to stream audio or video?
Boy! Did I get excited when I realized that I was already streaming video with a darwin server, using 3gp format, all based around Quicktime... And the iPhone was an Apple product probably set up to understand a
Darwin stream! For sure I could go down to the AT&T phone store and see my movies stream!

I had several different options set up on the gracetime.com/movie
(actually this forwards to lifeandstory.org/cp.html) html page to test this theory. I was going to see if it would do a download of a very lite (cat) 3gp movie (less than 400k) and play. Then I was going to see if it
would recognize and play another lite movie rtsp:// version of (car) 3gp. Surely it would!

Alas.. the safari browser and 4meg memory didn't allow the 3gp download...
It did however recognize the rtsp stream and started to do it! But then rather than play the movie in graphic form.... It only showed the script code of the movie ... It was like safari iPhone browser lacked a plug in! Yikes!
How can one stream these phones?
What am I doing wrong? Or am I?

charlich

Jun 18, 2007
Streaming Audio/Video on iPhone

As far as I know with the current version of the iPhone (1.0.2) there are no streaming capabilities. The closest experience to streaming is listening to mp3's online (which are available).

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You can stream any video hosted at google video to your iPhone.

WHen you go the search at google video do it like this:

videoname site:video.google.com this will only return videos hosted at google. Click the thumbnail or link of the video you want to watch.

On the next page where the video should be you will see the blue cube meaning you don't have the flash plug-in.

Go the the pulldown menu on the right and select ipod/psp and click download.

Safari on the iPhone will see it is QT and start to stream it to you.

This only works for videos host at google. If it is youtube link it wil lopen the youtube app on your phone, but they wont play unless they are one of the videos youtube has already converted to iPhone format.

nurcdiver

Oct 23, 2007
So I'm not alone!

Ok..so I see I'm not the only one.. I run various underwater live feeds on a darwin server and I also thought I was good to go and this was the main reason I got the iPhone.. but come to find out it won't play my video.. please let me know if anyone has figured out how to do it.. ya I know it can be done because you can watch those stupid quicktime video's @ Apple.com but they are the same people that try to stop us from using these 3rd party appz... so any info would be appreciated.. this would make my purchase complete! Playing my live video over my phone would be ideal!

ootunes

May 16, 2008
ooTunes can stream live audio, but video?

For streaming audio, it's not true "Streaming" but it can (and has been done). ooTunes is one way, and even works with windows media streams, etc since it can transcode on the server side. As for video, I'm pretty sure it's impossible with any of the native iPhone video player stuff. They only accept mpeg4 and h264 which require headers at the beginning of the movie to specify timepoints and frames etc, but when it's live, you simply can't have that at the beginning (it's not known in advance).

One alternative is to do your own video decoder, but that will eat the battery up fast (since it won't use the accelerated decoder stuff in the hardware only software). Another is to prerecord/encode it (sorta like tivo-ing it) but that's not truly live. A final option is (if it's not something you really really want to watch in perfect video, ie, a security camera) where you could do a set of still shots and play them in real time...
I'd be interested if I'm missing something here or if there's something to the contrary already in existence...

Ok..so I see I'm not the only one.. I run various underwater live feeds on a darwin server and I also thought I was good to go and this was the main reason I got the iPhone.. but come to find out it won't play my video.. please let me know if anyone has figured out how to do it.. ya I know it can be done because you can watch those stupid quicktime video's @ Apple.com but they are the same people that try to stop us from using these 3rd party appz... so any info would be appreciated.. this would make my purchase complete! Playing my live video over my phone would be ideal!

effytwo

Jun 12, 2009
I am not savvy about technology things but I love my iPhone. What I want to do is stream audio from a talk radio station. Will that be possible at all with the new iPhones?

effytwo

Jun 12, 2009
Thanks, Knight. I don't mean to be stupid but is that software that can stream any audio from any radio station? I have a specific station that I listen to because my husband has a sports talk show and I want to listen to it.
Thanks again!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
It is software which are called apps that can be downloaded from the iTunes app store, pandora is free but i believe wunderadio is 2 or 3 bucks. they both stream thousands of radio stations so theres a good chance yours is in there. Also there are quite a few great radio apps in the app store, some free. Hopes this helps effy and welcome to the site. Feel free to ask any more questions, lots of helpful people here. :)

ootunes

May 16, 2008
my app (yes, I'm the developer of it so I'm obviously biased) ooTunes Radio has almost 10,000 stations now... what's the station? If it's not already on the full list here: http://ootunes.com/stations please contact me with the name or website and I'll add it if I can.