Streaming Audio?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Does the iPhone support streaming audio from websites like XM Radio?
No on the XM. They don't even offer the 25 XM radio to go channels for an extra fee that cingular rolled out.

You can do it in a roundabout way using ORB

I was hoping for a sling player for iPhone, but probably not much chance of that now that echostar bought sling.

Sep 25, 2007
Massachusetts
Does the iPhone support streaming audio from websites like XM Radio?
I'm using uSirius and mycast.orb to get my Sirius stations through my iPhone. This works much better than I expected although I'm limited to certain Sirius channels because I have the basic (i.e. free) Sirius internet access. I think there is an XM version available. Do some searching on uSirius and Orb to learn more.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I'm using uSirius and mycast.orb to get my Sirius stations through my iPhone. This works much better than I expected although I'm limited to certain Sirius channels because I have the basic (i.e. free) Sirius internet access. I think there is an XM version available. Do some searching on uSirius and Orb to learn more.

Whats the Sirius plan you speak of that is free?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have Sirius and XM running on my iPhone. Takes like 5 minutes to set up.

It is not free, you have to already have access to xm's and Sirius' online feeds.

Here is a 16 page thread to browse. It has the instruction for both providers, and answers to all the common problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
yes I went through the steps to add XM and Sirius to my ORB stuff, but I don't want to pay for either, I must have misread his post about having a limited selection of channels for free.

Thanks for the info though

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I think he us talking about the little xm package AT&T offers on g3 devices like the blackjack. It sucks. You get like 3 channels for free and then if you pay like 6.99 a month you get 25 channels of their choosing.

Getting a Sirius online only sub would be the way to go.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I get XM channels free with my AOL Sub, I was trying to figure out how to make that work for me, any ideas?

Is it possible to stream regular radio stations that you can listen to free online? The ones that play in a flash player. I have been trying to add their URL into orb and it keeps telling me that it can't connect

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I get XM channels free with my AOL Sub, I was trying to figure out how to make that work for me, any ideas?

Is it possible to stream regular radio stations that you can listen to free online? The ones that play in a flash player. I have been trying to add their URL into orb and it keeps telling me that it can't connect
It is not going to work for any clear channel stations. They set some kind of token so you have to use there ad filled player.

Use url helper to find the urls directly to the stream and then post those in to orb. The streams to the flash player wont work.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I think both stations might be clear channel . Can I just google URL helper ?

Do you have to remain in the browser for the XM stream to continue working?

Sep 25, 2007
Massachusetts
Sorry for the confusion, but my Sirius plan is not free. I pay to have Sirius in my car, so I automatically get an Internet Sirius account. What I meant was that I'm using the Sirius Internet account that has no additional cost but it has a limited selection of channels. I could get all the channels on the Internet account if I was willing to pay more $$.