Streaming live TV on your iPhone

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Sling finally came up with an iPhone version of their great system to stream live tv to you anywhere in the world as long as you have some Internet.

Right now it's a "pre-alpha proof-of-concept" and Sling is not part of the Developer Program but worse case scenario, we'll have this app available for jailbroken iPhones soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I have a Slingbox and have been waiting for this. I hope it comes sooner than later.

But, in the meantime, I've been using Orb and it works quite well. I was watching the Lakers/Celtics game last night during class breaks. Everybody thought I have "the 3G iPhone". It was funny.:laugh2:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I have a Slingbox and have been waiting for this. I hope it comes sooner than later.

But, in the meantime, I've been using Orb and it works quite well. I was watching the Lakers/Celtics game last night during class breaks. Everybody thought I have "the 3G iPhone". It was funny.:laugh2:
Hey Amir,
How's it going? Question: are you using Sling with Orb? If so, how did you get it setup? Right now, I am using an old USB TV Tuner (hooked to my PC) to use with Orb to stream live TV, but it would be awesome if I could somehow get my Slingbox AV to work with Orb. From what I could tell, it wasn't possible....

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
Hey Amir,
How's it going? Question: are you using Sling with your Orb? If so, how did you get it setup? Right now, I am using an old USB TV Tuner (hooked to my PC) to use with Orb to stream live TV, but it would be awesome if I could somehow get my Slingbox AV to work. From what I could tell, it wasn't possible....
I'm well. Hope you are too. :)

To answer your question, that's how I have it setup too. I have the USB TV Tuner for Orb (actually my friend does and I use his Orb acct). So, no, there is no way to setup the Slingbox to work with Orb (at least not that I know of). Don't worry though, it won't be long to have SlingPlayer on the iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's about time.

if this thing streams well over the 3G network, i might actually upgrade my iPhone. at least it'll work on wifi ok.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I'm surprise some site like Hulu or Netflix hasn't released an iPhone version of their movies available for streaming.

piyf420

Bronze
Jun 19, 2008
I'm surprise some site like Hulu or Netflix hasn't released an iPhone version of their movies available for streaming.
I thought for the iPhone they had to be made by Apple?

But I really hope the iPhone 3G will have the Slingplayer program for it. Sure would be nice to have it just incase. I use it now at work on the PC and it sure helps those boring nights at work.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, they're only at a very early development stage... and sling media is not even "allowed" into the app store yet.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

I agree about Orb. It ran great on my v1 iPhone -- very smooth. with almost zero buffering.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I agree about Orb. It ran great on my v1 iPhone -- very smooth. with almost zero buffering.
How do you get it running without it buffering? Can you tell us your pc specs and internet speed (down and up) please?

dennisd

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
how is slingbox better or different from orb live?