Streaming live video to iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 31, 2007
I want to stream video from my office to my iPhone. I do streaming in Flash and Windows media streaming every day at work.. Just don't where to start.. I think I need to do H.264

Thnaks

antithetic

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I want to stream video from my office to my iPhone. I do streaming in Flash and Windows media streaming every day at work.. Just don't where to start.. I think I need to do H.264

Thnaks

You'll need to re-encode your videos to H.264/AVC as Flash and Windows Media are not supported on the phone. If you use QuickTime Pro, you can create a reference movie as well which will allow you to stream different versions depending if you are connected via EDGE or WiFi.

The specs for the H.264/AVC profile supported on the iPhone can be found on Apple.com.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You'll need to re-encode your videos to H.264/AVC as Flash and Windows Media are not supported on the phone. If you use QuickTime Pro, you can create a reference movie as well which will allow you to stream different versions depending if you are connected via EDGE or WiFi.

The specs for the H.264/AVC profile supported on the iPhone can be found on Apple.com.
Since this thread is about live video, can you point me to a place--anyplace--that streams iphone-compatible live video?

According to TVersity.com the iPhone, due to lack of RTSP support, is incapable of live streams (not a problem with pre-converted streams though). They are adamant about this, so if you say otherwise I'd really like to see an example (in order to show TVersity).

Thx.

--
Mike

antithetic

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Since this thread is about live video, can you point me to a place--anyplace--that streams iphone-compatible live video?

According to TVersity.com the iPhone, due to lack of RTSP support, is incapable of live streams (not a problem with pre-converted streams though). They are adamant about this, so if you say otherwise I'd really like to see an example (in order to show TVersity).

Thx.

--
Mike

Most streaming sites I'm familiar with usually use Flash or WMV as their delivery platform, ala YouTube.

However, when viewing a H.264/AVC movie (converted from xvid source) hosted off my web server, the Safari on the iPhone will bring up the media player like the YouTube widget and play the file as it's downloading. I often don't notice any delay or hiccups during playback.

With regards to TVersity, the lack of RSTP affects transcoding to the iPhone. You won't be able to view the video until the transcoding process is complete.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Most streaming sites I'm familiar with usually use Flash or WMV as their delivery platform, ala YouTube.

However, when viewing a H.264/AVC movie (converted from xvid source) hosted off my web server, the Safari on the iPhone will bring up the media player like the YouTube widget and play the file as it's downloading. I often don't notice any delay or hiccups during playback.

With regards to TVersity, the lack of RSTP affects transcoding to the iPhone. You won't be able to view the video until the transcoding process is complete.
I know all of that, but that doesn't address live video.

What I asked for was a link to a live video stream. Not encoded beforehand, not pre-converted, just live video (e.g., a camera stream, TV station, etc.).

Do you have a link for that?

--
Mike

antithetic

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I know all of that, but that doesn't address live video.

What I asked for was a link to a live video stream. Not encoded beforehand, not pre-converted, just live video (e.g., a camera stream, TV station, etc.).

Do you have a link for that?

--
Mike
Sorry I don't have any links for you.

Since Flash/WMV appear to be the de facto standard in regards to streaming content, any one would be hard-pressed to find many sites that offer QuickTime video streaming as the native format.

Good luck with your search.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Sorry I don't have any links for you.

Since Flash/WMV appear to be the de facto standard in regards to streaming content, any one would be hard-pressed to find many sites that offer QuickTime video streaming as the native format.

Good luck with your search.
I'm not searching. I came upon a thread with "live video" in the subject, read your reply, which didn't mention an inability to stream live video, and thought you might have more information.

It appears that TVersity was correct.

--
Mike

Jul 31, 2007
Ok I can create a live stream in H.264 using quicktime broadcaster. I just cant get it to play on the iPhone.

Do I need to embed the stream into a web page?

Once I get it to work Playing from my live encoder system to the iPhone I will then set the content to use my quicktime media server.