Streaming Video on iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Just wondering if since Safari is the "first fully capable web browser on a cell phone" if you will be able to stream video. Im really interested in buying mlb.tv.com so I can watch the games anytime anywhere. But do you think stuff like this or youtube.com will work on the iPhone or will we just have to wait and see?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I'd imagine QuickTime might make it as well. YouTube uses the Flash plugin so at the bare minimum we'll be able to use Flash in Widgets—which should open up quite a few possibilities. What version of Flash is unknown but I'm betting on at least Flash 8 support.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I will look for the article. It was a question and answers one.
The question was:
What about YouTube?
His answer was roughly
'Yeah it will have youtube. With youtube you are just dealing with that site....' I don't remember the rest I'll find it though.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

Markoff: “What about all those plugins that live within Safari now, like Flash or like Java or like JavaScript?”
Jobs: “Well, JavaScript’s built into the Phone. Sure.”
Markoff: “And what are you thinking about Flash and Java?”
Jobs: “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.”
Markoff: “Flash?”
Jobs: “Well, you might see that.”
Markoff: “What about YouTube–”
Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.”

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

Markoff: “What about all those plugins that live within Safari now, like Flash or like Java or like JavaScript?”
Jobs: “Well, JavaScript’s built into the Phone. Sure.”
Markoff: “And what are you thinking about Flash and Java?”
Jobs: “Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain.”
Markoff: “Flash?”
Jobs: “Well, you might see that.”
Markoff: “What about YouTube–”
Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.”
Ah-ha!
Thank you... If you read the rest of those people's questions, it's basically 99% ripping on the iPhone, which sucks... but people are idiots, so, figures... But he didn't give some SOLID and DEFINITIVE answers, so good lookin out for that.

May 6, 2007
United States
so can anyone guess if the MLB TV will function with it? it seems like its built in somewhat...similar to youtube.

it seems pretty promising though...:)
To be honest, I can't see that working on the iPhone. I am not sure if it could be fast enough to handle it, or if Apple would allow it. MLB TV, to my knowledge, is much different that YouTube. I can't say for sure, though.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
I just hope the browser does more than the PSP one does.

I spent 30 minutes getting onto the internet at school on my friend's PSP and when I finally got to youtube it didn't work! :mad:

Even though the internet sucks on it, I am actually thinking about buying a PSP now, It's so damn cool! (not as cool as the iPhone though)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I did a quick check... MLB TV uses Flash (or Windows Media).

I can't imagine Apple would snub Flash support... the newest versions just open the door for video since most people already have the plug-in.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks Spin! I appreciate it. Yeah it seems crazy if they would ignore it...but you never know...

I really didn't like the psp browser that much. Pain in the neck to navigate. I enjoy my PSP (hey they are onlye 169$ now!) but it doesn't hold a candle to my 360. I was thinking of selling the PSP actually to ensure I had all the cash I need for my iPhone, but I think I'll be ok...it is a sweet toy but yeah, not nearly as cool as the iPhone!