Street View Question

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone !

Happy Thanksgiving to all. My question is whether or not street view works on my non 3G iPhone. When I drop a pin, I'm seeing the little icon on the left, but it seems to always be "grayed" out and won't work when I try to click onto it. Can anybody answer ? I've looked in the update thread for an answer, but no luck. TIA. Cheers !

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Hi Everyone !

Happy Thanksgiving to all. My question is whether or not street view works on my non 3G iPhone. When I drop a pin, I'm seeing the little icon on the left, but it seems to always be "grayed" out and won't work when I try to click onto it. Can anybody answer ? I've looked in the update thread for an answer, but no luck. TIA. Cheers !
Is the area you dropping the pin on have street view available? As of yet it is not available everywhere.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Is the area you dropping the pin on have street view available? As of yet it is not available everywhere.
Thanks dwp1975. I had typed in several different addresses and none worked until I finally typed in Park Ave, NY and that did it. I guess here in NC there's not many views available yet. Thanks again for your help. Cheers !

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
Thanks dwp1975. I had typed in several different addresses and none worked until I finally typed in Park Ave, NY and that did it. I guess here in NC there's not many views available yet. Thanks again for your help. Cheers !
Glad it worked for you. I live in MD and I don't have street view in my area either, I know Pittsburgh, PA has almost full streetview coverage. I think streetview just recently made it to the DC area as well.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Street view only works where the van drove through and took pictures.
It looks like google changed street view because it used to have all these purple lines where you could use street view but now it only works if you type an address.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Street view not available in Washburn TX

Can you believe it? I was in Washburn TX for Thanksgiving, about 15 minutes south east of Amarillo and street view was not available. It's probably not available in No Trees TX either. No offense to any one from either place.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
Street view only works where the van drove through and took pictures.
It looks like google changed street view because it used to have all these purple lines where you could use street view but now it only works if you type an address.
actually, google didn't write the maps app or maintain it; Apple engineers do that, and it was Apple engineers that wrote the update that included streetview functionality. as such, it was implemented how Apple wanted to do it, and not how it normally works in google's full webbased maps implementation with the purple streets.

credit Apple's minimalist design approach.

and google's weapon of choice is a fleet of economy cars, most notably a VW Beetle (as well as other econoboxes) with a 360 degree camera globe on top. the fleet is operated by Immersive Media, and driven by asians (because we're good at driving around aimlessly :laugh2:)