Stress crack in iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by jaw2k9, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Both daughters received white iPhone 4 in mid August or late July. Both have been in cases (capsule rebels) since nearly inception.

Today, my older daughter - who has treated the #)* phone like a newgborn discovered a crack that goes top to bottom of the phone, there is no evidence of abuse, drop or anything else - just a full length single crack in the glass.

Screwed or will Apple take care of her?

Thanks!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple will most likely replace it for free. Just make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Is the crack on the back piece? July 2010 or July 2011?

3. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

The Apple store will just replace it when you take it bak to them. Just make sure that you back up your phone and then take it. My iPhone 4 has been out of warranty for a while now and they still replaced it for free

4. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

It was of 2011 (phone is about 2 to 3 mos old).

They did not take any responsibility (as the tech himself said), but did do a one time replacement - my question is - and I think it's relevant, why say one time, it's very very clear that the damage was not done from a fall or drop or anything - it's clearly stress related - maybe from being in pocket, or exposure to too much sun?

In this case, it seems to me that the 'one time replacement' is not really applicable - that seems to infer that my kid was somehow at fault, caused the problem and was just taken care of to be nice.

In any case, I don't anticipate this occuring again.

Thanks

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

mine did that a light hair line (the phone was brand new) and I was told it happnes some times when they glue dries ? But yes they always say 1 time ! I guess to prevent abusers ?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it's a stress crack, it is covered under the manufacturer's warranty and they will replace for free.

7. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Thanks that's the thing he did not say what it was from just said one time exception. The crack was jut that a curved line no spider web no chips - nothing. So should something like this happen again then what?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think the one-time free replacement for damage due to negligence is advertised on Apple.com or an actual entitlement. None of the smartphone manufacturers cover this damage (without insurance). I've just noticed that nearly all of the people who have started threads here asking about replacements ended up getting their iPhone 4s fixed/replaced for free. Some have said that the Genius' stated that they generally do this for free the first time. There are no guarantees, though. I think Apple does this because exceptional customer service is important to them and they gain customer loyalty. It is possible that they won't continue to replace them for free. They are now offering AppleCare+ for accidental damage.

All that being said, your phone has a stress crack, which is not due to negligence so they will be obligated to fix it for free and it won't use up your one-time free replacement for accidental damages, if there truly is such a thing.

If it is a stress crack and it happens again, they will replace it for free again as long is it is still under warranty. I've actually never heard of a stress crack in the iPhone 4 glass, but I'm certainly not saying it can't happen. I'm just saying it's uncommon.

Post back and let us know what they say when you take it in.

9. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

No - I did take it in, and they used the term 'one time exception' as a reason for the replacement.

I don't know what kind of crack it was/is, I assumed it may be stress as there is no other sign of a drop or misuse - of any kind, the phone and case were pristine, it occurred at a picnic, I had thought my daughter had sat on it, or something like that, but again, that was not the case - I have seen many broken screens - but never one like this. If you first saw it, you would have thought it was a hair on the screen, but in fact it was a crack.

Anyway, it was replaced, no charge, but because the genius said that term 'one time exception' I became concerned.

I agree Apple (and Callaway in golf) have CS that is bar none the best in their respective industries. I was able to have an original ipod touch replaced 2 times - second well out of warranty, and my iPhone 4 replaced, just out of warranty as well.

The kid's phone is just a couple months old.

10. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

As fate would have it, she had to exchange it again today - and with no problems doing so, as her phone did not work correctly - she could hear them, they could not hear her.