Stressful Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Today was a very stressful day. We had a layoff at work where 26 people were let go. I was very fortunate & thankful that I wasn't one of the 26 people, but it was very sad to see friends & coworkers let go.

I work for a high end wholesale home decor company & w/the retail & department stores not doing well it affects us too.

<Sighs> I hope tomorrow is a better day:(

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Sorry to hear that, it must be hard to see your friends let go like that. It goes to show everyone ends up feeling the economic hard times one way or another.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Sorry to hear about this Leah. I was reading through the news (from various sources) yesterday and nearly every headline was about layoffs and store closings. It is only going to worsen in the coming months but hopefully a turnaround is soon.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Sorry to hear about this Leah. I was reading through the news (from various sources) yesterday and nearly every headline was about layoffs and store closings. It is only going to worsen in the coming months but hopefully a turnaround is soon.
in my opinion, this is exactly the problem. the news says there's a recession. people stop spending, waiting for it to impact them. the lack of spending worsens the situation until it's declared a crisis and then everyone stops spending, exacerbating the matter even further.

like paul simon says, i get all the news i need from the weather report.

spend your money people. everything is just fine.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
in my opinion, this is exactly the problem. the news says there's a recession. people stop spending, waiting for it to impact them. the lack of spending worsens the situation until it's declared a crisis and then everyone stops spending, exacerbating the matter even further.

like paul simon says, i get all the news i need from the weather report.

spend your money people. everything is just fine.
I have to agree with you. The spending cutbacks only serve to worsen the situation. WW2 was a saving grace from the Great Depression due to the increased spending, not saving. I'm not saying we should start another war but spending in some form will certainly help. The problem is that peoples' spending money is quite tight these days so it makes it difficult.

My parents are fortunate in that they are in the food industry so people are going to have to eat. However, I've been with Abercrombie and Fitch for 3.5 years now and same store sales are down 30% from last year and there are talks of closing up to 100 or more stores. Fortunately the paltry income I make there is only used for going out so I won't be in a bind if the store closes, but it's still a strong possibility.

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I was layed off in September. I received almost a year of unemployment and two free semesters of college. If you are laid off make sure you take advantage of all opportunities presented to you. I become dismayed when I talk to people on unemployment who just collect andwait it out, but don't pursue a better job.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I talked to one of my friends who was let go. She said they're only getting 2 weeks of a severance package plus whatever they have left of their vacation. Back in Oct when we had our last lay off they received a 2 month severance package.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I work in the Texas prison system. I will always have a job. There will always be criminals. I feel bad for the ones who have to worry about getting laid off. That would be devastating. I hope they can get everything worked out.

H

Hayesimus

Yeah. Back around November they hired all these new guys at the factory. And then two weeks later they were like,"Oh no! We have way too much inventory..." and fired all the temporary help! I was like WTF? Why did they hire them just to fire them two weeks later? There wasn't even enough time to adequately train them. They essential got paid to stand there for two weeks. Then two weeks after that, they hired more people! The management at the factory is beyond incompetent. They are the perfect fools. I've never worked for a company were the management commanded so little respect... I mean I seriously doubt they have any clue what's going on. But whatever... my paycheck keeps coming...

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I was layed off in September. I received almost a year of unemployment and two free semesters of college. If you are laid off make sure you take advantage of all opportunities presented to you. I become dismayed when I talk to people on unemployment who just collect andwait it out, but don't pursue a better job.
I was laid off in August.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
They (Honda) just the other day told all the temps that they will be gone by the end of the month. That's like 150 people. And that's just in one plant in Ohio! It's getting scary!

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I think people are spending less on things they don't really need...many people i talk to say the economy has forced them to be very prudent with their money now, which is good..look at the gas. people were fed up with 4 bucks a gallon so they drove less, took less driving vacations, etc. and the result were prices dropped to 1.40 a gallon here in ohio...now its cheap, people are driving more creating a demand and decreaseing supply, and the prices are going up again, its cyclical, it will turn around.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i really have no sympathy for people who get laid off and don't take jobs that are presented to them but rather sit around, whine about what they don't get, how they were cheated, or how this "just isn't fair." to be quite honest its comical to me. if you get laid off, its because you either worked for a company that sucked, or you didn't possess the skills that was needed to keep you on (as an important asset to the company). i'm not saying anyone is any of these things, but i see all these people complaining about the economy, yet they go out, don't attack the opportunities in front of them, partake in activities that are detrimental to the economy, and then cry and complain when they or their friends lose their jobs. simply put, make yourself marketable to companies so you CANNOT be replaced, its really not that hard if you sit down and assess the situation.....

H

Hayesimus

under normal circumstances i would agree. however most of the people are being laid off because their once thriving employers are having a hard time finding a demand for their product or trade. Its not anyone's fault but the consumer that suddenly decided to cut back. Oh... and George Dubya. :p

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
i really have no sympathy for people who get laid off and don't take jobs that are presented to them but rather sit around, whine about what they don't get, how they were cheated, or how this "just isn't fair." to be quite honest its comical to me. if you get laid off, its because you either worked for a company that sucked, or you didn't possess the skills that was needed to keep you on (as an important asset to the company). i'm not saying anyone is any of these things, but i see all these people complaining about the economy, yet they go out, don't attack the opportunities in front of them, partake in activities that are detrimental to the economy, and then cry and complain when they or their friends lose their jobs. simply put, make yourself marketable to companies so you CANNOT be replaced, its really not that hard if you sit down and assess the situation.....
You say some of the dumbest things sometimes. We are talking about people who have lost their jobs and you say crap like it is comical to you!? The situation is pretty bad if the government has to bail out large corporations to keep them from filing bankruptcy and closing the doors on large plants. I agree with parts of what you said, but freaking work on your tact!

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
You have a distorted, erroneous and disgusting view on how the economy works in regards to layoffs, and how it effects VERY valuable members of the work force. You ideals on the subject disgust me.

I worry every day that I could get laid off. Companies live and die by their stock...and stock is plummeting daily. As the stocks go, so do the people who work for affected companies. I have seen veterans better than me lose their job, b/c it saved the company $....nothing to do with how well they did their job, or who is more or less deserving.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^how is it distorted, its called capitalism. simple suppy and demand, companies that did well in good times AND invested to protect themselves are doing much better than companies who figured the good times would roll on forever. now they are cutting costs, and some of the first ones to go are people that are not a necessary asset to the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.