Stuck in DFU Mode...

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
So my toilet-ridden iPhone boots up! And works! However, it is stuck in DFU mode. iTunes recognizes it and wants to restore it. I do that, and I see the progress bar on the iPhone go through the restore process but then it simply reboots and goes back into DFU mode and has me try to restore it again (I've restored it twice, no luck).

Are there any other things I can try or is this possibly a side-effect of the water damage?

Europa, warrior, etc. you guys have any other ideas of what I can try?

Help!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Ok, so if I unplug it and reboot the iPhone, it goes to the screen where it has the iTunes logo and USB plug and the Slide For Emergency bar. When I plug in the USB cord to the computer, that screen locks up and iTunes isn't recognizing anything. If I unplug the USB cord, the Slide For Emergency resumes its scrolling...

WTF!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'd give it a few more days in the bag to rule out water damage.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I'd give it a few more days in the bag to rule out water damage.
Hmm...I'm trying restoring without the SIM installed right now, before it was installed, see if that makes any difference. It was in for 2 days now, and showing great signs, no screen damage, water is gone (visibly inside and out)... I mean, being submerged in water is never good, so I'm not doubting it could be water damage causing this, but I'm not convinced more time in the rice will do good. No?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It takes a while to draw out moisture this way. You've gotta be patient.

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I had this problem once, except mine eventually came out of DFU mode. I didn't have any water damage though, as I put the device into DFU mode myself and it wouldn't come out.

BTW, what's this about using rice on an iPhone that's been exposed to water?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I agree with Dave. I think it needs more time in a rice bag.

evo, if you ever drop your phone in water, placing it in a rice bag is recommended since it pulls moisture/water out of the device. Silica packs also work. Here's what I recommend if it ever happens to you, immediately remove it from the water and turn it off if the power is still on. Do a quick dip in rubbing alcohol, this will replace the water with alcohol and alcohol evaporates much quicker than water (it's no more damaging to the parts than water). Then place it in a large ziplock bag filled with rice. Place it under a heat lamp for around 24 hours. After 24 hours, move the bag to a closet or cupboard and leave it alone for a minimum of 3 days, preferably 7 days before attempting to turn it on. Sooner attempts to turn it on will decrease the chances that it's going to be work right again.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Honestly, if it were me, I'd find some way to keep the phone in the bag for at least 10 days. I know... it royally sucks. Not nearly as much as never having that iPhone again, though. Use a dark, opaque bag and sit it under a directional desk lamp on a curved piece of tin foil to maximize the heat. Don't overdo it, obviously. No movie lamps. ;)

It really does take that long, though... sometimes more!... if it's really infiltrated with water. I know it's the hardest thing in the world right now to avoid, but turning it on is only subjecting it to more possible damage if it's not fully dried out.

Better to play it safe than sorry when it comes to these things, in my book at least.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Honestly, if it were me, I'd find some way to keep the phone in the bag for at least 10 days. I know... it royally sucks. Not nearly as much as never having that iPhone again, though. Use a dark, opaque bag and sit it under a directional desk lamp on a curved piece of tin foil to maximize the heat. Don't overdo it, obviously. No movie lamps. ;)

It really does take that long, though... sometimes more!... if it's really infiltrated with water. I know it's the hardest thing in the world right now to avoid, but turning it on is only subjecting it to more possible damage if it's not fully dried out.

Better to play it safe than sorry when it comes to these things, in my book at least.
Yeah I hear ya, Dave. I have it back in the rice and it's sitting on a piece of tin foil out in the sun today... I guess I may try it tonight or tomorrow, it made pretty good progress in two days and I just had it in my room, not near any sunlight or heat...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
In addition to what's been said, don't provide to much heat. You have to remember that the phone's screen is 'Glass' that will warm up and possibly damage the screen. The LCD (liquid crystal display) may have small marks appearing if you give the phone to much heat.

Under a desk lamp is fine, but I would honestly leave the phone in rice, somewhere where it's generally warm, just above room temp.

As previously mentioned, turning your phone back on if there is still water inside could be fatal. Water and electricity don't mix.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well, I just read that Apple will let you replace your water-damaged iPhone for another iPhone for $199, without having to renew your contract or purchase a brand new one. The iPhone now works, but the home button does not. It also is iffy and still automatically puts itself into DFU mode sometimes.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at the Genius Bar to get my replacement. Sigh...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why not just get a 3GS? You can get $85 for a water damaged 3G on cashforiPhones, more if you sell it privately. I'm guessing you're eligible for the middle tier 3GS pricing $400/$500, or you would have already gotten one for $200/$300. Instead of spending $200 for a new 3G, you could spend $315 for a new 16 GB 3GS (after the $85 from cashforiPhones). It's worth the extra $115.

Perfect time to upgrade, right?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Why not just get a 3GS? You can get $85 for a water damaged 3G on cashforiPhones, more if you sell it privately. I'm guessing you're eligible for the middle tier 3GS pricing $400/$500, or you would have already gotten one for $200/$300. Instead of spending $200 for a new 3G, you could spend $315 for a new 16 GB 3GS (after the $85 from cashforiPhones). It's worth the extra $115.

Perfect time to upgrade, right?
This is true (thanks for that website, BTW). However, I do not want to renew my contract with AT&T. I am waiting for next summer to upgrade my iPhone. To me, the 3G S does not have any features I'm willing to renew my contract for two more years for, regardless of how much "more" I can get it for...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're going to renew your contract next year anyway, right? If that's the case, you can get a free one every year, that is assuming you don't drop them in a toilet ;)
Have you used a 3GS? The speed alone, from the processor and memory upgrade, is well worth it IMO. The compass, video recording, and better camera. etc are just bonuses.

It's not like your using a Storm. You have an iPhone, these things hold their value better than any other phone AFAIK. As long as the contract isn't an issue, you can upgrade and get a free one (or less than $100) every year. Why not always have the latest and greatest?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
You're going to renew your contract next year anyway, right? If that's the case, you can get a free one every year, that is assuming you don't drop them in a toilet ;)
Have you used a 3GS? The speed alone, from the processor and memory upgrade, is well worth it IMO. The compass, video recording, and better camera. etc are just bonuses.

It's not like your using a Storm. You have an iPhone, these things hold their value better than any other phone AFAIK. As long as the contract isn't an issue, you can upgrade and get a free one (or less than $100) every year. Why not always have the latest and greatest?
Haha, you're relentless, Europa! I can understand and appreciate your reasoning; however, I'm just going to replace my 3G with another 3G. Thanks again!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I had my appointment at the Apple store today and they replaced my "water-damaged" iPhone 3G for $199 plus tax. Oh how it's so nice to have the iPhone back in my hands again! :)