Stuck on Apple logo After erasing all contents and settings

Aug 21, 2011
Hi all, I need some help please.I have an iPhone4 4.2.1 jailbroken through greenp0ison . I tried updating or restoring via iTunes but it didn't work so I when to settings and erased all settings and contents.Now I'm stuck on the Apple logo and each time I plug it ,iTunes says an iPhone in restore mode but fails to restore it! Is there a way out?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am quite sure that this is an easy fix. First, have to ask a few questions.
Do you have TinyUmbrella installed? If you do (and I think you do) then you need to open it, click on the advanced tab, UNCHECK the option that points to Cydia's servers and then Apply. after that point, you can try to kick the iPhone out of recovery or close TU and then do a restore again.
IF that doesn't work, you need to open your Hosts file (no file extension) and edit in notepad. Put a # in front of any line that mentions Apple. (usually gs.apple.com or something like that. Save, close and then try a restore again.
If you don't and have never had TU installed... Then I would need to know what the error is that you are getting.
Here is the reason. If you trying to update to anything prior to 4.3.3, Apple has stopped "signing" these firmwares. There is a way around it, but unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the method. You should probably contact Europa about it- IF that is the case.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Selecting Erase all content and settings will always throw a jailbroken iPhone into Recovery Mode and a restore will be required. You can use TinyUmbrella or modify your hosts file as Hawk has said. Only attmept restoring to a firmware version you have an SHSH for. When the restore completes, you'll get a 10xx error, but you can get past that with RecBoot or TinyUmbrealla (Fix Recovery). Please post your error codes if you need more help.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think Europa pretty much nailed the answer. I wish the Jailbreak devs would incorporate this warning into their tools, it really would help a load of people. The amount of people who have told me they've bricked their phones because of this is unreal.