Stuck SIM tray!

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
hey guys, i'm new here so nice meet all of you fellow iPhone users.
I got my iPhone 2 days ago and I want to take out the sim card but the paper clip method doesn't work for me. I have been trying for two days straight to remove the sim card and I think that I eventually broke the little release button. I bought the phone from a friend for a nice price and I wanted to remove his inactive sim card. I don't have Applecare and I am not an art costumor so how can I open that stuck sim slot other than using the paperclip?
thanks for any advice! :)

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
ok but how do I pull the tray out while pushing the paper clip in? The tray doesn't exactely have a grip. Plus i think that i broke the release button inside the little hole. Thanks for the reply though :)

Anybody know any other way?

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
that didn't work either, its stuck in there so badly that when i pull on the paper clip, it forcefully becomes straight again :(! i really don't think a peper clip is gonna do any good with this thing. is there like a way that maybe i can remove the back cover or something or is that too dangerous for an amateur such as myself?

Thanks!

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
You need a screw drive the kind use to fix watches
everytime I use a paper clip it get bend it's not stong enought
or press agains a table or solid surface
with the paper clip or pin in press it again a solid surface
not ehought grip when pressing with the hand
good luck

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
You need a screw drive the kind use to fix watches
everytime I use a paper clip it get bend it's not stong enought
or press agains a table or solid surface
with the paper clip or pin in press it again a solid surface
not ehought grip when pressing with the hand
good luck
so you had this problem before too? if i understand correctly, your saying that i need a screw driver small enough to fit in that little hole?
is there such a small screw driver?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
so you had this problem before too? if i understand correctly, your saying that i need a screw driver small enough to fit in that little hole?
is there such a small screw driver?
There are, right here.

You may want to check at local drugstore too. They have those tiny kits for eyeglass screws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
I've noticed that those screw drivers have pointy heads so what are the chances that they will go through to the iPhones hardware?:eek:
also, is the release button straight down the hole because the paper clip was pretty strong and i even tried a pin which was much stronger than the paper clip and still nothing. as i said before, i may have broken or flattened the release button.

Thanks again! :)

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
looks like your making a trip down to the Apple store.

This is exactly why you must be careful when you buy the phone on the black market. Which is ANYWHERE other than Apple or att.
i would go down to the Apple store but i don't have Applecare. as you say, i didn't buy the phone from Apple itself :(

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I've never been so I can't say for sure what they may or may not ask but IMO, they could care less about your service provider. They only made the phones.

I really don't think you have anything to fear to go in and see if they can get it unstuck.

Warfa

Sep 1, 2007
well guys, I finally got that little tray unstuck. I got a fine blade, bent it to the side a little and stuck in in the side of the tray and pulled it out with a small plyer! Its all good now. Thanks guys for all your help!

See ya around the forum ;)

nicnic77

Sep 12, 2007
Hey.. After spending all night trying multiple times to unlock the iPhone I finally suceeded. But, since I'm the unluckiest person alive or dead I didn't have a paperclip or anything small, metal and pointy in my entire house..

I thought removing the SIM tray would involve pressing lightly on a simple catch/release mechanism, I've seen similar. SO I STUPIDLY USED A PLASTIC FOLK. Call me stupid, I already know. It SNAPPED in the hole.

So know I've totally f*cked my phone in the most ridiculous mannor ever conceived in iPhone hacking, can I PLEASE ask exactly how you released yours and / or are there any other ways?

I'm so f*cked off that I've got a fully unlocked phone, but I can't put in my b@st@rd sim card (the final step!), I could just implode with anger.

well guys, I finally got that little tray unstuck. I got a fine blade, bent it to the side a little and stuck in in the side of the tray and pulled it out with a small plyer! Its all good now. Thanks guys for all your help!

See ya around the forum ;)

nicnic77

Sep 12, 2007
Brute force + pen = sim card + big smile :)

Hey.. After spending all night trying multiple times to unlock the iPhone I finally suceeded. But, since I'm the unluckiest person alive or dead I didn't have a paperclip or anything small, metal and pointy in my entire house..

I thought removing the SIM tray would involve pressing lightly on a simple catch/release mechanism, I've seen similar. SO I STUPIDLY USED A PLASTIC FOLK. Call me stupid, I already know. It SNAPPED in the hole.

So know I've totally f*cked my phone in the most ridiculous mannor ever conceived in iPhone hacking, can I PLEASE ask exactly how you released yours and / or are there any other ways?

I'm so f*cked off that I've got a fully unlocked phone, but I can't put in my b@st@rd sim card (the final step!), I could just implode with anger.

J J G

Mar 21, 2008
looks like your making a trip down to the Apple store.

This is exactly why you must be careful when you buy the phone on the black market. Which is ANYWHERE other than Apple or att.
After market or not...
Cheap, stupid design rushed to market. So many people having this problem of removing Sim card....tacky design...and who would on earth could forgot to add a 'copy and paste' option on a 2008 phone?

"Apple.... it just Sucks"

Aug 13, 2008
Hi there,

I have a new iPhone 3G. I insereted a sim unlock togerther with the sim card and the sim tray is now stuck. Does anyone know if you can open the iPhone without removing the sim tray. There is videos on youtube showing how to open the iPhone but they all ask to remove the tray first.
Here is one of the videos.

Does anyone know if it is possible to disassemble the iPhone without removing the sim tray first?

Apr 28, 2010
Un - Stuck

Use a swiss army knife cork screw (or similar). It is small enough to go into the hole and it is strong enough to pull the tray out! It worked for me