Stupid lag issue thread #74

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Another lagging thread.
I have searched and reread all threads pertaining to my issue. I posted in half of them, too. Most are weeks old and maybe there's some progress.
I am jailbroken with 2.1, run an XP system and DO NOT have Bossprefs installed. I do have status notifier installed since it's required for Lincoln's application. Incredible wait times are experienced opening the camera, sms, sometimes safari, and others. I have zero dropped calls and my service is perfect, as it has always been. Safari only crashes once every couple of days and thats pretty good in my opinion. Certainly compared to 2.0 firmware...
Are my problems due to status notifier? Should I uninstall Lincoln's app? I read somewhere that it could be the quikpwn program itself...?
I don't mind restoring, but I just did that like 3 or 4 days ago so I don't know if that's the problem...

Also, is there any way to utilize ssh on edge? whatip does not work for me and installing bossprefs just to see the ip doesn't work either.. Can DiskAid access my root folders to swap around icons and system sounds, etc? Is there another work around?
I'm really hollering out to Psylicon and Lincoln and anyone that's been down this road before with me....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Funny enough, when I installed Linc's Widgets (still sounds gross to me), my phone appeared to actually run faster! Call it psychological, but I feel I'm pretty sensitive to these things.

I've kinda come around in my belief that bossprefs causes lag. I'm not so sure it does. One app I can say with certainty causes lag for me is Quick Gold. Love it... but I've tried on several occasions, and lag just like you describe always crept back in. I have it off right now and I'm pretty happy with the speed of my phone.

Fact is, a jailbreak will slow your phone down. It appears to happen across the board. But try removing Quick Gold if you have it and see if that helps.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Funny enough, when I installed Linc's Widgets (still sounds gross to me), my phone appeared to actually run faster! Call it psychological, but I feel I'm pretty sensitive to these things.

I've kinda come around in my belief that bossprefs causes lag. I'm not so sure it does. One app I can say with certainty causes lag for me is Quick Gold. Love it... but I've tried on several occasions, and lag just like you describe always crept back in. I have it off right now and I'm pretty happy with the speed of my phone.

Fact is, a jailbreak will slow your phone down. It appears to happen across the board. But try removing Quick Gold if you have it and see if that helps.

Interesting that I didn't mention QuikGold, yet I do, in fact, have it installed. Apparently, you "are pretty sensitive to these things!"

I will unistall this app right now. I'll get back with you in a moment.

Great call, by the way. I thought I had included all pertinent info yet the one thing I left out you picked up on.....Crazy.

EDIT: Apparently the app, QuickGold was, in fact, causing me tremendous heartache. After uninstalling this application, I noticed a 50% ( at least) drop in lag times across the board. Thnks, Dave.
Any idea about how to access via ssh without wifi? Could I simply walk next door to Starbucks, sign on and get my ip, then stroll back over here and access ssh? Of course I would be out of reach by about 10yds of their wifi...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thank you for the confirmation about Quick Gold. Shame

And no, to SSH you need to be on the same IP as the computer you're SSHing from. Diskaid is your best bet. You can access the root folder via the dropmenu at the lower left. It will give you a warning, but you know what you're doing...

Only thing I couldn't figure out with Diskaid is how to set permissions. Not sure if it's possible. I didn't really use it much beyond my jailbreak, though. I use WinSCP.

Barachus

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
thats very sad news about QuickGold, its a great app i am soo used to it i don't think i can let it go :(
i have some lag but nothing too major

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Thank you for the confirmation about Quick Gold. Shame

And no, to SSH you need to be on the same IP as the computer you're SSHing from. Diskaid is your best bet. You can access the root folder via the dropmenu at the lower left. It will give you a warning, but you know what you're doing...

Only thing I couldn't figure out with Diskaid is how to set permissions. Not sure if it's possible. I didn't really use it much beyond my jailbreak, though. I use WinSCP.

Another thnx for you. Good job.:laugh2: yes, I notice a gargantuan difference now.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
thats very sad news about QuickGold, its a great app i am soo used to it i don't think i can let it go :(
i have some lag but nothing too major
You have to figure... it's indexing a lot of areas of your phone. If that's an active database (which I'm sure it is, since it can search your browser history), you can bet it's going to slow things down every time it updates itself.

I like it a lot, too... but fortunately it hadn't become "essential" enough for me to really have problems letting it go.

I'll keep an eye out for updates, though. I love it in theory.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wow, I suspected QuickGold. I uninstalled it, rebooted, and sure enough, things were a lot zippier. Still, there is lag.. and for now, I blame it on the current Pwn series of apps. I never experienced it with pre-2.0 jailbreaks.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I uninstalled QuickGold as well, and the phone does seem a bit faster, but lag wasn't really a problem for me before...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok guys... late night lag-busting submission that I'd love some verification on. I just went through rather thoroughly via SSH and deleted all old files from my Intelliscreen install. There were a lot. Apparently a Cydia uninstall of this thing leaves a lot left behind. I didn't take detailed notes, but I know I deleted every folder named Intelliscreen or Intelliborn, found in these directories:

root/applications
root/library
var/mobile/library

I may just be tired, but I swear my phone is faster than it's ever been. App load times are noticeably faster (Facebook: 3-4 seconds instead of 5-8, Camera: 5 sec instead of 7, Safari 3 seconds to start reloading an uncached page instead of 5, Maps.... well it's actually useable now. I almost threw it out the window driving earlier the lag was so bad.)

Even just Unlocking the phone... the lock screen seems to pop up faster.

Again, I may be imagining things, but hopefully this might be another big cause for all the lag these days.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh man, I've been using Sportacular for days now with the Phillies in the World Series. I KNOW how long that has been taking to load.... very frustrating. 5 seconds now. It was like 7-10, I swear.

And last biggie... the iPod. It was taking well over 5 seconds to load for me. Now it takes 3.

Please test your boot times for these apps after a fresh restart before you delete any files. I wanna see if you guys see the same dramatic differences. I'm pretty stoked about this.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Bump.

I took off Backgrounder and things seem even faster. The lag eventually creeps back a little bit over the course of a day, but it is definitely better.

I'm starting to think that any jailbreak app that runs in the background is going to slow the phone down. And they all add up. There must be a memory leak somewhere with the pwnage process.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am Not jailbroken, and I can tell you that there is a little bit of lag on everything, right around what your improvements are.
I did a restore last night more for shits and grins than anything, but it was also a test to see if I could get a little battery improvement and a little less lag. I got both!
Right now, browsing both wifi and 3G, a couple quick phone calls an checking mail twice. 2 hours and 5 minutes of usage, a hair more than a quarter of the battery used. Usually it's over a 3rd. Everything is slightly "snappier" too.

Now here's the part I wanted to relay. I had already downloaded the 2.1 firmware once before for my V1 phone. I didn't think that there would be a difference between that and the 3G, but last night when I started the restore, it downloaded it again. version 2.1 5F136. That is what I thought that I had initially, but strangely enough, I downloaded and installed a "fresh" version.

As far as Quickpwn.... I don't think I'll be using that again to pwn my phone. I think it's a little twitchy, and I already have everything I wanted from a jailbreak, but through the apps store. (a small exception of not being able to customize the springboard)
Not saying it's dangerous or anything, just that it's not for me. I've spent too much moolah to mess this phone up just for the sake of being able to customize my springboard.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's getting close to that point for me, too, Hawk. If Apple would just open up the box a liiiittle bit more through the Appstore, there would be no need to jailbreak.

Right now I would really miss theming and video capabilities, but other than that, I'm ready to go stock.

But I'm not. :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
as an aside, i've been thinking to myself the last few days "did i ever experience this much lag and safari crashing with pre-2.0 software?" I don't think i did. Not even on 1.0.2.

Oh well. double-edged sword, jailbreaking is.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just thought I'd bump with what I consider to be quite possibly the biggest lag-producer: Winterboard.

I'd heard it elsewhere, but I've never tried just not using it. I still have it installed, just all themes unchecked. It's quite a difference. Try it for a day and let me know what you think...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I just don't understand why thing can't work as efficiently as they did pre-2.0.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think that there is going to be lag in general since opening up the OS to legally installed apps. My guess is that Apple must have changed part of the OS to allocate a specific amount of RAM and processor to handle the addition of apps running.
Before, when it was just the apps that were already part of the OS (the ones you cannot remove) everything ran off whatever was available from the processor and RAM. If you jailbroke the system, the same rule still applied to those added (illegal) apps.
Now, everything seems to have been prioritized, which iswhy some apps seem laggy and others seem fast and smooth. This includes the stock apps from the OS.