Stupid Question please humor me.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I want to jailbreak my phone but im a little scared. I have a macbook pro by the way. I wanted to try iPhonejailbreak(http://cashflowlogic.com/iPhoneJailBreak.html). Is there anything else i need to do to use iPhonejailbreak? what are the risks? where do I get the apps to put on the phone? How many of you have used this program? Is there a better way to hack the phone?
sorry for the stupid questions
Joe

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have used the method you posted and it works seamlessly. It installs Installer, the application that contains hundreds of apps. To install them, just tap the app you want, and then tap Install. The app is then on your phone.

Risks, of course, there are some. It's not likely, but it could of course result in the bricking of your phone. However, no actual, unfixable brick has been reported, and everything - apps, settings, software - can be set back to normal by a restore via iTunes.

I recommend modding as long as you aren't too scared of damaging your phone. It's really quite fun.

P.S. - If you use the iJailbreak method, be SURE your phone is unlocked, unmodified version 1.1.1. And of course, your MacBookPro will be an Intel Mac.

Have Fun!

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I have used the method you posted and it works seamlessly. It installs Installer, the application that contains hundreds of apps. To install them, just tap the app you want, and then tap Install. The app is then on your phone.

Risks, of course, there are some. It's not likely, but it could of course result in the bricking of your phone. However, no actual, unfixable brick has been reported, and everything - apps, settings, software - can be set back to normal by a restore via iTunes.

I recommend modding as long as you aren't too scared of damaging your phone. It's really quite fun.

P.S. - If you use the iJailbreak method, be SURE your phone is unlocked, unmodified version 1.1.1. And of course, your MacBookPro will be an Intel Mac.

Have Fun!
I thought that you only need to unlock a phone if you wanted to use it on another cell network? If I unlock and mod the phone what do I use to re-lock it if i have problems with the phone(Im on my 4th iPhone)?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm not really an expert on unlocking.
Remember, installing apps and unlocking to a different carrier (T-Mobile) are two completely different things. I only mentioned unlocking because the method won't work if your phone is unlocked, which yours is not.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I'm not really an expert on unlocking.
Remember, installing apps and unlocking to a different carrier (T-Mobile) are two completely different things. I only mentioned unlocking because the method won't work if your phone is unlocked, which yours is not.
In your first post, I think you said "unlocked" when you meant to say "locked" or "not unlocked".

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
These are not stupid questions at all!

And yes, if you want to get rid of the hacks (which I doubt you ever will ;) ) you just plug in your phone, open iTunes, and click restore.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Not so much. A lot has happened since that article was published nearly two weeks ago now.
what about the iphuc stuff? Do I have to do anything with that, I'm not familiar with terminal at all. Will I be able to sync with iTunes like i normally do?

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
So what should I use? Jailbreak or ifuntastic? What is the worst case scanerio for a hack gone bad using one of these apps? Can I completely destroy my phone?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Use the method in the OP. (iJailbreak) It involves no SSH, iPhuc, Terminal, anything, whatsoever. iFuntastic involves downgrading to 1.02, which I did not have a good experience with.

In the worst case scenario, yes, you can completely destroy your phone. But it's very unlikely, and if you don't like it, just restore it. Also remember that hacking can give hackers access to the data on your phone, so don't put anything too personal on there.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
When the next Apple update comes out should I restore my phone before I update? Can I still sync using iTunes after I jailbreak?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I see that in the past few days there have been a few new apps out to jailbreak the iPhone. Should I use any of these new apps or just use the original one?
http://jailbreakme.com/

Use that website from your iPhone. It will jailbreak your phone using the TIFF exploit, install Installer.app and then fix the TIFF exploit. It's nice and easy and doesn't require anything difficult at all.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Ok, I just install jailbreakme on my phone. It froze up for a second and I had to restart the phone. Everything seems to be working ok. What are some cool apps that you recommend?
P.S. thanks for the help!