subsidized iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I hope it never happens. I don't want what happened with my razr a few months after I got it. At the rate of iPhone sales I don't see it happening especially with the "status" Apple products have

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I don't know about this one. I have two other people in my family who really want iPhones. When I bought the device, I never expected the price to remain $600 - it IS a tech device and should follow the rules just like everything else. I don't care how the price comes down (subsidies, reduced production costs, newer models, etc), it'll make it easier to buy more iPhones for the family!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Actually, as a new AT&T customer, my iPhone is subsidized. Kinda...

...because I just found out that my iPhone doesn't count as a subsidized phone purchase with AT&T. In other words I can get any deal, right now, that AT&T currently offers to new subscribers on another phone (I don't have to add another line). I verified this at my local AT&T CS, at an AT&T store, and on AT&T's Website (it shows my iPhone line as being eligible for upgrades). Indeed I have the Website open and am deciding on a phone. The only drawback is that I have to extend my contract by another 3 weeks (no
biggie, and if I knew this when I bough the iPhone I would have done it then).

So I just need to decide whether to get one of the free phones to keep as a spare, a Blackjack to Ebay (unopened), or something else. Might even go for a Curve and Ebay that. They seem to be going for $500 on Ebay, and I can get it for $250. Either way getting the extra phone helps mitigate the cost of the iPhone, IMO.

--
Mike

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
What I'd like Apple to do is just retire the model then come out with a new model for the same price or a little higher (sort of like when we changed to intel macs). I feel satisfied with the ibook g4 I own since I didn't have to go walking around stores seeing it for 50% off lol.

I guess the hype we always get with Apple products helps keep the prices up and ensuring our moneys worth.

I don't want every middle school kid I see walking around with an iPhone their parents got for 99.99 lol.

To me it seems like everything changed in the cell phone world with the iPhone. It was a whole different launch experience than any other phone Ive seen.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Actually, as a new AT&T customer, my iPhone is subsidized. Kinda...

...because I just found out that my iPhone doesn't count as a subsidized phone purchase with AT&T. In other words I can get any deal, right now, that AT&T currently offers to new subscribers on another phone (I don't have to add another line). I verified this at my local AT&T CS, at an AT&T store, and on AT&T's Website (it shows my iPhone line as being eligible for upgrades). Indeed I have the Website open and am deciding on a phone. The only drawback is that I have to extend my contract by another 3 weeks (no
biggie, and if I knew this when I bough the iPhone I would have done it then).

So I just need to decide whether to get one of the free phones to keep as a spare, a Blackjack to Ebay (unopened), or something else. Might even go for a Curve and Ebay that. They seem to be going for $500 on Ebay, and I can get it for $250. Either way getting the extra phone helps mitigate the cost of the iPhone, IMO.

--
Mike
Only new AT&T customers. Is it confirmed that us existing users won't see an upgrade button? I'll check now I guess.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I don't know about this one. I have two other people in my family who really want iPhones. When I bought the device, I never expected the price to remain $600 - it IS a tech device and should follow the rules just like everything else. I don't care how the price comes down (subsidies, reduced production costs, newer models, etc), it'll make it easier to buy more iPhones for the family!
I think its fine to go through 3rd party outlets once they retire the current model to get the first edition iPhone at a discount (refurbished or closeout). I guess thats what I like about the Apple store I go to. I don't find what Ive bought for 50% off or whatever when something new is about to come out.

subsidies I am against though.