Substitute For Otterbox

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Madlockz, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Madlockz

Madlockz Member
    Bronze

I just got my 6Plus last week and I need a case. I'm in construction so I need a nice secure case like the Otterbox Defender case. Otterbox only has the gray and white version available I had that case on my iPhone 5. Is there another case out there that can give me the security that I need until Otterbox comes out with a better selection ?
    ( thanks in advance all comments are appreciated)

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I was a loyal Otterbox Defender user until the Lifeproof case came out for the 4s. Since that time Otterbox bought the Lifeproof brand but has yet to release a case for the 6/ Plus. I'm waiting until they do before I upgrade from my 5s to a 6! You can get on the notification list for the Lifeproof 6 Plus case here. Chances are the color selection will be limited, at least at first.

A couple other cases to consider are the Pelican Voyager and the Griffin Survivor. Both are listed at $60 and both offer four different colors/combos.

3. Madlockz

Madlockz Member
    Bronze

Otterbox buying lifeproof is new news to me. In gonna wait to but I just need something for now. Thanks I'll look into those cases.

4. Keukawater

Keukawater Member
    Bronze

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

When we first got our new iPhones, my wife and I used the Supcase Unicorn Beetle. The built-in screen protector on hers was fine, but my iPhone 6 Plus (since returned) was awful. Still, all in all, it was a pretty solid case in comparison to Otterbox. If I were to use it full-time, I would have simply popped out the plastic protector and opted for a tempered glass solution. In fact, when I removed the case from my wife's phone, it popped out pretty easily. She's using Apple's leather case, so I can't speak to how well that combo of tempered glass and the Supcase work.

Price wise, these were cheap. Just checked, it was $18.99 when I bought it. Outside of my issue with the screen protector, I was impressed with the quality. It felt solid and felt protected. Removing the case wasn't as easy as with Otterbox, but that's not a big issue for most. I'm switching cases and SIM cards often, so that's important for me.

6. Madlockz

Madlockz Member
    Bronze

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Wouldn't recommend going for the Griffin Survivor case. I have for my iPhone 6 and it's overly-big. You also struggle to hear people on the phone because of the mesh dust-protector over the earpiece. Griffin also claim that the case is dust proof, it isn't. I've had to remove the front screen section a couple of times to wipe away debris and yet it still comes back. I thought at first that I hadn't assembled the case correctly but it was put on properly.

I rushed to buy a protective case and I've back peddled to an Otterbox. Had one on my iPhone 5 for over two years and it's immaculate.

8. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

iblasion on Amazon I just took mine off now that my LP for the 6 arrived

9. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Love the commuter
    Got it for my 13 year old she uses it daily.
    Myself my brother gave me one and use it as well!
    Very good case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm using the Commuter this time. It doesn't feel as good as the Defender, but it's not as bulky and fits my pockets great.

11. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

It passed the second floor drop test on YouTube better than the defender too surprisingly! I was stunned!

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Several years ago, the Defender passed a 5 story drop. But that was with the iPhone 4. I doubt the larger phones would pass that.

13. Njshoremom4gurlz

Silver

True doubt it very much lol
    I have insurance on my iPhone but... If I keep it life proofed I probably don't need it