Sudden Weird Screen Defect

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
So it shows up as a bright white spot about 1/4 from the top dead center. Its as if one pixel exploded and there is a white glow around it though it can only be seen on a light background. The lighter the background, the more prominent the spot can be seen. Here is a photoshopped picture of almost exactly what I am experiencing. The white spot is always in the same place, and "glows"

Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I see 2 options:
1) restore to stock 1.1.4 firmware and make an appointment with Apple to have them look at it and they will probably replace it.
2)If Apple decides to replace it ( and I think they will) then I would wait to make the appointment till after the Version 2 hits the shelves and see if you can "upgrade" (for a fee, obviously) to the new phone.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah I actually have a genius bar appointment at Apples Store Sagemore today at 11:50. I called last night and they said if there is no water or abusive damage, (which there is isn't), they will replace it on the spot (for a dead pixel, which I don't even know if thats what this is). I was thinking about the upgrade idea and I really doubt they will allow an upgrade from v1 to v2. However, I do plan on asking if I can upgrade to the 16GB iPhone and just pay the $100 (even though I originally paid $600 for the damn thing). Worst case scenario, I plan to get a new iPhone 8GB).

In the meantime, I am still curious as to what this is. Seems like a backlight problem. Anyone ever see or heard of something like this?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
So they replaced my phone for no cost on the spot. This is the third iPhone I have had since iDay, the first one they made me pay $30 to send it in, and I wound up getting a new one anyways.

I asked about upgrading to a 8GB and the guy said no dice. The iPhone you buy is the same one you have to keep, no upgrading.

I am happy though with V2 around the corner, I got this baby in a nice tight case, screen protected, good resale potential to get V2. The defect was caused by an LCD smudge (says the genius), sounds fishy to me but who cares.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Strange. I have never heard of an LCD smudge. I am glad you got it replaced. I had a bubble in the glass of my first iPhone and that was bothersome!