Suddenly, it *works*

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
Just in the last 24 hours, I'm finding that my mobilme sync is working just as I would have hoped it would have from the get-go. After sometimes waiting many hours for changes to go from computer to cloud to phone, changes are taking place no more than 15 minutes apart, and in some cases, instantly. The instant ones may have been a result of entering data just before a scheduled sync, but that's the way it's supposed to be happening, and it wasn't.

Anyone else experiencing a sudden positive change in performance?

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
yeah mobile me is very much up to speed for the majority if not all users.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I could easily be accused of being an Apple Fanboy™, but gotta call a spade a spade here. Apple botched the release of this. It should have worked much better out of the gate. I'm glad it's now working, I hope it's working for others, but the probs shouldn't have been this widespread.

Hoping for smooth sailing from here on in...

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I spoke too soon. Added an event a few hours ago, has not synced up to "the cloud." Ridiculous.

Anyone know of a way to force the phone to push to the cloud, in the same way we can order our computer to sync via System Prefs, or the menu bar icon on a Mac?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I spoke too soon. Added an event a few hours ago, has not synced up to "the cloud." Ridiculous.

Anyone know of a way to force the phone to push to the cloud, in the same way we can order our computer to sync via System Prefs, or the menu bar icon on a Mac?
I seem to recall forcing it to work by turning push off and then back on again.

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
I seem to recall forcing it to work by turning push off and then back on again.
I was having all kinds of problems up until a few days ago and then I did the same as Ohmster and turned push off then back on. I also turned the phone off and then back on.

Ever since then everything started pushing instantaneously "No Waiting"

I'm amazed at how fast it is. It takes longer to get from contacts to calendar online than it does to get the info to the phone or to the cloud.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
When it works, it's terrific. But it's wildly inconsistent. I turned it off, and sure 'nuff, it pushed up to the cloud when I turned it back on. But there's an event I added to the phone 2.5 hours ago, and it hasn't pushed up. I shouldn't have to shut my phone off every time to get it to push. For now, I guess, that's what I'm stuck doing if I want to use this. But I may just go back to old fashioned syncing via cable.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
i'm still having trouble with it, especially iCal and iPhoto. it's making me crazy.
I tried to publish a new web gallery from iphoto to my mobile me last night, and "the server was down." Now, it worked tonight. Hopefully everything will be working better soon.

Of course, I thought I was doing it wrong...:oops:

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
When it works, it's terrific. But it's wildly inconsistent. I turned it off, and sure 'nuff, it pushed up to the cloud when I turned it back on. But there's an event I added to the phone 2.5 hours ago, and it hasn't pushed up. I shouldn't have to shut my phone off every time to get it to push. For now, I guess, that's what I'm stuck doing if I want to use this. But I may just go back to old fashioned syncing via cable.
That's what I've done. Went back to my old BlackBerry, via cable to Outlook at work--which I know I can rely on. I think you've hit it on the head with "...it's wildly inconsistent". I SOOOOO want this to work well--but until I start seeing consistent reports from guys like David Pogue and Walt Mossberg, and from enough people saying it's working as expected, I can't rely on it. I can't afford to lose contacts or appointments. I'm not staking my reputation on a service such as this.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water ....2.01 update seems to be playing tricks with mobile me

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water ....2.01 update seems to be playing tricks with mobile me
What have you observed or heard?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I'm now getting messages saying that there was a failure to communicate with the server, so sync is not taking place at all.

This after things were actually working well for a while. This comes after I installed 2.0.1, so I suspect that the update is the culprit.

EDIT: I did all sorts of things, from installing the Mac OS 10.5.4 Combo Updater over the 10.5.4 that I was already running, to resetting sync services, to using the Terminal commands in an Apple Support Doc. I'm not sure which did it, but everything is running just peachy again.

I also can't rule out another culprit; I just got my MacBook Pro back from the Apple Store yesterday, for a bad logic board and fans. (Thank goodness for AppleCare) I wonder if in doing whatever they had to do, the techs did something in the settings that made everything go hinky?

Regardless, in my on-again-off-again saga, I think I may finally be in a groove. Stay tuned if you care to...

robm

May 25, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
What I have seen is if I make a change on my iPhone, the push occurs up to the cloud...but If I make a change on my laptop, it eventually gets synced to the cloud bu the cloud does not push it out from there to my phone...figure that one out

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
What I have seen is if I make a change on my iPhone, the push occurs up to the cloud...but If I make a change on my laptop, it eventually gets synced to the cloud bu the cloud does not push it out from there to my phone...figure that one out
That's why I've disabled the desktop applications and stopped the calendar and contact sync with the cloud. Using the web app only seems to make the push functionality work better/faster.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I can honestly say *knock on wood* that I haven't had any problems with Mobile Me. I put something in my phone and it ends up on my desktop and I put it on my desktop and it ends up on my phone.

Of course, I don't need things to happen instantaneously. My appointments that I put in are not THAT important, but it's still fun. My biggest test is going to be during the school year with idisk. I am going to try and get rid of the jump drive and just get information that way. We'll see how well that works *fingers crossed*

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I can honestly say *knock on wood* that I haven't had any problems with Mobile Me. I put something in my phone and it ends up on my desktop and I put it on my desktop and it ends up on my phone.

Of course, I don't need things to happen instantaneously. My appointments that I put in are not THAT important, but it's still fun. My biggest test is going to be during the school year with idisk. I am going to try and get rid of the jump drive and just get information that way. We'll see how well that works *fingers crossed*
This is a great idea. I'm a teacher as well, and I'd like to do the same. My problem likely will be that my district keeps far too tight a leash on our network, and likely will not permit access. I was never able to get to .mac, but I'm hoping the change in the nature of the service (although iDisk is essentially the same) will give me an in for getting them to open access...

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
This is a great idea. I'm a teacher as well, and I'd like to do the same. My problem likely will be that my district keeps far too tight a leash on our network, and likely will not permit access. I was never able to get to .mac, but I'm hoping the change in the nature of the service (although iDisk is essentially the same) will give me an in for getting them to open access...
I thought the same thing. But when I went in to start setting up my classroom, I tried it. I had to download safari onto my computer as it only works on safari/firefox, but I had no problems doing that and I was able to access it from work.

It shouldnt be blocked as it's just an email and calendar client. There is no chatting on it. :)