Suggestions for testing internal network speeds?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm upgrading my router today. Before I swap it out, I wanted to run some tests so that I can do a comparison. I know there is Speedtest, which is good enough for baseline Internet tests, but what other tests can I run? I'd like to see if I can compile some other stats for comparison. File transfer speeds would be nice. Range.

Any suggestions before I swap it out tonight? I'm looking for Mac apps and iPad, iPhone apps.

I'd like to do tests throughout the house for before/after type stuff. See if it's worth it to upgrade. Right now, I'm relying on data on the Internet that says this particular router rocks.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I just tested Chrome and Firefox on my MBP with files I already had on Dropbox. Chrome does not readily show transfer speeds in the download info box but Firefox does. The Downloads iOS app shows download speeds, again tested with Dropbox. Not sure about upload speeds. Hope this helps.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I just tested Chrome and Firefox on my MBP with files I already had on Dropbox. Chrome does not readily show transfer speeds in the download info box but Firefox does. The Downloads iOS app shows download speeds, again tested with Dropbox. Not sure about upload speeds. Hope this helps.
These test internet speed, not the full speed of your internal/local lan.