Suncom iPhone experience

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ksmoove78

Nov 2, 2007
Alright let me tell you guys what happened. I have an unlocked iPhone and i have it on suncom. I didn't have internet except for wifi on on the iPhone. I thought the reson why my edge wasn't working was because i had to pay like $12 for the web through suncom.after i payed the $12 to get the internet thats when my edge stated working on the iPhone.mind you i have two phones(iPhone and suncom cyber shot bar phone).now for the OH NO!

I started using the internet(edge)on my iPhone and showing people what it was like on the iPhone.and i surfed a lot of sites.well today i get a text from suncom saying that i need to call them because i have went over my protection limit.so im thinking to myself,"what the hell." so i call them up and ask them whats going on.they tell me that it looks like i have been useing the internet a lot.so i tell them no because its free once i pay the $12.so they tell me it looks like you have been useing the real internet from your phone.so i say how because my suncom phone only lets you look at so much(mind you she doesn't know that i have an iPhone and that i have been useing the edge internet like crazy on it)

She tells me some kind of tech word they use for people who link cell phones and laptops.so just for the sake of arguing i ask her how much my bill was(thinking to myself hell it can only be about $200) i hope you guys are sitting down.she tells me right now you owe a total of $750 and some change. Now im shocked like what the f__k! so my first question is has this happened to anyone?two,did i mess up thinking that just because i bought the internet service for my suncom phone dosent mean that it was going to be free on my iPhone.and three,in the installer app what does that edge do in the unlock folder.does it fix whats happening to me or is it just to turn edge off.I'm pissed.

Thanks for reading and please give advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2007
If it was unlimited you should be fine. They may think that you are going over because iPhone uses much more data when getting a webpage than other mobile phones. Since there are not many iPhones with Suncom, it may be rare to see a phone with that much data usage.

ksmoove78

Nov 2, 2007
If it was unlimited you should be fine. They may think that you are going over because iPhone uses much more data when getting a webpage than other mobile phones. Since there are not many iPhones with Suncom, it may be rare to see a phone with that much data usage.
ok they do sell blackberrys and i think they access the whole internet to right.so they should also use a lot of data to or is it less than the iPhone?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
This is a very salutary story which should be read by everyone who thinks about saving a few quid by getting themselves an unlocked iPhone. The iPhone contract is actually very good value for money. I can understand wanting to unlock if you live in one of the countries Apple deems unimportant, but where it's possible to have an official contract, it does make sense.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Suncom probably saw the data connection and your browser identity as "Safari" which is generally only for PC's and Macs. So it would be an easy assumption for them to make that you were "tethering" (the official term for those who connect their phones to their laptops to surf the web) and using a real browser. Since Suncom doesn't support the iPhone, they wouldn't know.

I would try to tell the the truth. Suncom doesn't care if you use an unlocked phone, but you will need an unlimited data plan to handle the full browsing capabilities using their data network. And check for all of the "gotcha's" about so-called "unlimited" data plans.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
You need to get a good data plan. Even if you are not surfing the web, the phone still connects to the internet to check for email and to ping the cell towers to let them know your phone is ready receive. That is also why you put your phone on airplane mode when you travel abroad.

ksmoove78

Nov 2, 2007
:laugh2:

Suncom probably saw the data connection and your browser identity as "Safari" which is generally only for PC's and Macs. So it would be an easy assumption for them to make that you were "tethering" (the official term for those who connect their phones to their laptops to surf the web) and using a real browser. Since Suncom doesn't support the iPhone, they wouldn't know.

I would try to tell the the truth. Suncom doesn't care if you use an unlocked phone, but you will need an unlimited data plan to handle the full browsing capabilities using their data network. And check for all of the "gotcha's" about so-called "unlimited" data plans.
your right i think im going to call them and tell them the truth.i just might need a data plan for it.Thanks man you have been very helpful:laugh2:

ksmoove78

Nov 2, 2007
You need to get a good data plan. Even if you are not surfing the web, the phone still connects to the internet to check for email and to ping the cell towers to let them know your phone is ready receive. That is also why you put your phone on airplane mode when you travel abroad.
how much data does the iPhone use verses like the blackberrys or the treos.i need to know cause im wit suncom and they don't have data plans except for the blackberry.i want to get it but i want to be sure that its going to work

reocej

Jun 29, 2008
:laugh2:

your right i think im going to call them and tell them the truth.i just might need a data plan for it.Thanks man you have been very helpful:laugh2:
So how did things turn out? I also have unlocked iPhone with Suncom and am very interested in how it turned out for you.