Surprise! 3G!

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Yeah when I got to work today I immediately noticed a lil ol' 3G icon on top of my phone where a simple E had previously been for lo these many months. Thought it was a glitch at first but nope, the 3G fairies had been to visit our local tower overnight it seems. And the signal was also stronger (well, more bars at least) than it had been before.

I live in a little town about an hour west of Washington DC and I'd been watching the 3G creep west from DC as I make that trip often. But I didn't expect to see it out here for a good long while yet. Wasn't even hoping for it to be honest because we are hardly any kind of metro hub, although we do have some major interstates intersecting here.

So it was a pleasant and wholly unexpected surprise. I can't wait to get home tonight to see if my usually marginal signal there has improved any. That would be a significant quality-of-life upgrade right there, yessir!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I also got a huge 3G boost when I upgraded to 2.2. I don't know if AT&T had been working on the towers at exactly the same time or not, but I now have a strong 3G signal in my house where I had none before the upgrade. The 3G signal now keeps going up to ten or fifteen miles south of where I live, which is great.

Hmm -- maybe it was AT&T; I live a few miles southeast of Washington D.C.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Congrats on the signal! It must feel good being able to us ethe phone with it's true power. (or most of it depending on signal.)

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Awesome! When we got 3G here in West Texas, it was like night and day--now I have no idea how I lived with EDGE.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, I use wifi at home, but having 3G available all the way down to Waldorf, MD (where men are men and women are, too) is pretty handy when I go out to eat.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Well, I didn't quite get everything I wanted for xmas... All of Hagerstown has strong 3G now - I get a great signal at the gym where there was practically none before, and at work as I mentioned before. However I live south near the Potomac river and actually get my signal at home from a tower in West Virginia (I know, I feel dirty, lol j/k, kinda) so no luck there. They haven't been upgraded. Was hoping that if the signal was stronger maybe I could pick up something from Maryland now. Oh well I have wifi at home, but a stronger phone signal would be quite welcome. Does a power boost always go with the 3G switchover?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Me too. If it happens on my V1, though, that would truly be a shocker.
I used my v1 exclusively for about a week and a half. Each time I looked at it I wondered why I wasn't getting 3G when I would normally at those locations. I then remembered it was EDGE only.

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Same thing with recent 3g coverage here too. At work in Boston I have perfect 3g and Wireless. At home an hour north I had minimal Edge, and my whole city in general was edge. Woke up one morning and signal was stronger and also had the 3g symbol! I actually thought it was a bug from 2.2 at first but it definitely isn't.

One thing I will say though is talking on 3g blows. Coming from using wireless at home for downloading and taking calls on edge the comparison is ridiculous. I've never had so many dropped calls...yet I still don't care because the phone has already been well worth the $300 spent back in August!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Same thing with recent 3g coverage here too. At work in Boston I have perfect 3g and Wireless. At home an hour north I had minimal Edge, and my whole city in general was edge. Woke up one morning and signal was stronger and also had the 3g symbol! I actually thought it was a bug from 2.2 at first but it definitely isn't.

One thing I will say though is talking on 3g blows. Coming from using wireless at home for downloading and taking calls on edge the comparison is ridiculous. I've never had so many dropped calls...yet I still don't care because the phone has already been well worth the $300 spent back in August!
What town do you live in? I used to live in Billerica when I was stationed at Hanscom AFB back in the 90s.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I live near Copenhagen in Denmark...but no "3G surprise" for me yet....haven't tried my iPhone with 3G...only on EDGE...:eek:...it take some time loading heavy websites! I have 10GB of free use every month with Telia, so I looking forward to see the 3G signal showing up on my iPhone...

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
What town do you live in? I used to live in Billerica when I was stationed at Hanscom AFB back in the 90s.
Live in the Southern N.H. area off route 3. I drive through Billerica everyday going to and from work in the city. From Boston up through Manchester N.H. is now all 3g its awesome. Power went out last night cause of the icing...no worries though because i was still able to get all my traffic/weather video's by using 3g rather than wireless. Being woken up every half our to trees snapping all around my house however is a different story!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Live in the Southern N.H. area off route 3. I drive through Billerica everyday going to and from work in the city. From Boston up through Manchester N.H. is now all 3g its awesome. Power went out last night cause of the icing...no worries though because i was still able to get all my traffic/weather video's by using 3g rather than wireless. Being woken up every half our to trees snapping all around my house however is a different story!
I also lived a couple of years in Milford, NH...

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Since I first started this thread my 3G coverage has been very inconsistent. I probably actually have 3G maybe 40% of the time now. Otherwise it's back to Edge. I guess ATT must be turning it on and off for reasons best known to someone there. Reception isn't the issue since I can see the tower (well, could if I had a window) from my office. It usually varies by day. Some days they give me 3G, some days they don't. Today, no.

"Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed" once again proves to be a useful concept.