Survey finds that iOS 6 maps and Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Europa, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/12/ios_6_maps_lightning_connector_have_no_effect_on_iphone_5_demand_survey_finds.html

I've used the iOS maps app quite a bit since I've had the iPhone 5 and I have I experienced zero problems with it. I absolutely love it. I'm considering deleting Navigon from my phone as I have no need for it anymore, other than occasional Street View.

I love how you can just use Siri to say, "Get directions to..." and be on your way after after just pressing one button to begin navigation. I also like how ETA and miles remaining can be easily seen. It uses very little data and it caches maps so it continues to show maps and route if you lose your signal. My only suggestion is to have a feature added so voice directions can be repeated at the tap of a button if needed.

What are your thoughts and experiences with iOS 6 maps?

2. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

I've used it about 5 times and have loved it every time.

I'll let you guys know when it doesn't work for me :)

I like the updates at the top of the phone when I have the app closed. Or when the phone is locked it displays it.

Pretty awesome

3. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Even for people experiencing problems, there are many alternatives on the App Store as far as maps go. You can even use the web version of Google Maps. As far as the connector, its just growing pains that we will all forget about by next year.

4. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I have used mine several times. It's really only been off once. I was heading to a Vet's office which was way out in the country. It said my destination was on the right, but it was a field full of cows. However I just went another mile down the road and my destination was on the right. I won't complain about that, I have been happy with it's performance.

5. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Maps is junk here in Southwestern Ontario.

I'm up to 53 reports of problems.

Not sure where everyone lives that's reporting its fine though. But here, it's a worthless joke.

Lets see... Can't find the address. Gives a completely wrong address. Can't even find the right town. I have to know the county to even have a remote chance of finding anything. And you better hope there's not 2 of the same streets in the same county. These are towns that range from 2000 to 18000 people. For example, in Wellington county, there are perhaps 12 towns. There are multiple same street names. I have the option of "do you ____, Wellington County?" There are as many listings as there are streets. So once, I got to choose 12 different main streets! But I want the one in Fergus! Nope, no listings there...

So for all the people that have great success with it, there are many more out there that find it excruciatingly horrible. I can't trust it to find my neighbors house. Probably because it has my house down the road. On a positive note, it only took 3 searches to find my correct town.

First photo. No results.
    2nd photo. Where maps says it is.
    3rd photo. Friends phone with old maps from google. The correct location of the town.
    4th photo. Wants me to buy a 4x4 to cut through people's places.

The connector shouldn't have any baring on sales.

Attached Files:

6. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

The problem is that no one cares about Canada.

:p I kid (sorta...)

7. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I have only had one problem where the pin took me to a road a block after where I was supposed to turn. I love the maps. If people would put more effort into helping the problem than blabbing about it, it would probably already be fixed. Ok maybe not, but quit your griping! Ha. I also love the new connector other than the fact that I can't have many extra cords like I used to have.

8. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

You
    One more thing. Looking at the pics, my battery dropped 5 %. 10% over the last 9 minutes. Great update....

Attached Files:

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

No problem here, but I'm not deleting Navigon, I love it too much and spent even more on it.

10. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Navigon rules!

11. Muckcityjustin

Gold

So many 3rd party map apps that I don't really seeing that being a sales issue. I've used the maps app without any issue but most of the time I use the free mapquest app. That has only steered me wrong 1 time and I have used it hundreds of times even to travel as far as 1000 miles. I'm sure Apple will also correct the map situation sometime soon.

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I like maps but I just wish it offered route avoidance options. I don't like paying tolls or running into ferries when traveling. lol

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Used maps a few times to check the route and in one instance I had no idea where the address was and I haven't encountered any issues.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've spend a lot on it as well, but there are some things I don't like about it. I have bought every add-on they have with the exception of C0ckpit, which seems gimmicky and unnecessary. My main gripes with Navigon are the awkward method of address input and how I have to download Maps, extras and files required so often - and how these files have to be downloaded on the phone itself with the app open rather than backgrounded. I swear I've downloaded all of these things more than ten times, and Panorama view is 700 MB. Because of this, I prefer the old Navigon that was updated on the computer and included all maps.

15. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

Really like the new maps. Use it all the time in the car. Haven't had an issue yet. I know that it's only gonna get better. As far as the lightning connector goes its a welcome change.

Sent from my white 32gb iPhone 5 using iCafe app

16. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

I've had no problems when I've entered an exact address. I have had problems, however, when I've asked maps to find the address for me.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

No problems with maps here in So. Cal as it's works pretty good in my opinion and I actually have grown to like the new cable!

18. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Man, I can't believe people are having the least bit of success with this junk.

Here's a pick. Made it to our destination is time, only to find out the map was wrong again. Took 10 minutes to find the correct spot.

I don't understand how come they haven't issued a fix yet. Sure, there some people here where it "works". But anyone I know that uses it, repeat how horrid it is.

Not to continue ranting, but I can't find 1 thing it even remotely does equal to the old maps let alone better.

Why word Tim Cooke offer an apology without actually fixing anything? Way too much lip service.

yes, blue spy is correct. Location spot is wrong, AGAIN!

61 reports and counting.. Disgusting!

Attached Files:

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My iOS Maps has worked flawlessly so far. The only thing I'd like is a bit more contrast between smaller roads and the background.

20. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I've had no issues with Maps. I love them, turn my turn is awesome. They beat the snot out of Google Maps. And if they get Illinois right, the land where everything is wrong and bad, then they can get everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app