Swapping phone numbers with a new added phone/line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L.I. Bruce Fan, Jul 13, 2012.

1. L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze

When the next iPhone comes out, I plan to upgrade to a family plan, add a line and give my wife my 4s.

Will I be able to swap phone numbers by simply changing out the SIM cards? AT&T is the carrier.

FWIW I will also need to port her number over from another carrier, just to add an another level of difficulty.

Anybody with past experience doing this?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You will have to have AT&T switch the actual number, I think. I used an upgrade on my second line that I have for my parents but wanted the actual phone to belong to my fiancé.
    Once the rep understood what I was wanting to do all it took was a few minutes for them to make the changes on their side and all was, and still is, well.

3. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I upgraded my spare line to 4s because mine wasn't eligible. Once I actuated it, I just swapped SIMM cards & all was right. But, porting the # is AT&T all the way.

4. L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze

Thanks all! But with all the talk of a nano-sim in the forthcoming iPhone 5, I may have no alternative but to go to AT&T for assistance. Maybe this is something they'll be able to take care of in the Apple Store (althoguh I was hoping to just be able to pre-order the next iPhone and sit home and just wait for it...oh well...

5. Robert Brickman

Robert Brickman New Member

All you need to do is put your SIM into your new iPhone, your wife's new SIM into your 4S that you're giving to her and it's all done. AT&T does not need to intervene or be involved in this process. The ONLY thing I would call AT&T for is to make sure the correct phone is attached to the correct number. I just like to do this for continuity and organizational reasons.