SwirlyMMS is available now!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll get excited when I hear reports that it actually works...

Thanks for the heads up though, as always yer on top of it!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Where do I get the info such as MMSC, Proxy, APN, Username & Password for the app to work?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Where do I get the info such as MMSC, Proxy, APN, Username & Password for the app to work?

http://www.swirlyspace.com/iPhone/apps/mms/settings.html

Now, if you're on AT&T, you need to call them and have them activate MMS in order for it to work. Judging by the "reference" link on that page where the AT&T settings are, that's how you get it to work.

A few say to put your SIM in another phone and have call up AT&T and tell them you want MMS activated and you understand the MMS is 25 cents a message.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It seems that swirley has old info for setting up mms for AT&T. I found this:

MMSC: mmsc.mobile.attwireless.net
Proxy: 10.250.250.100

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Ok I called up AT&T and they said that I could not get MMS activated on my account because I have the "Unlimited Messaging Feature" and it conflicts. She also acted like I couldn't get it anyway because I had an iPhone. I told her I switch phones sometimes though. I don't even think the setttings are working properly for the program though. I've input the correct MMSC and Proxy but I still get errors.

EDIT: After using your setting ZR Yancy it gave me a different error...but it looks to be a better error than before (make sense?) Now it's just saying that it can't connect to the proxy so maybe I need to have MMS enabled before I can send.

EDIT2: Also ZR, I believe the MMS messages wouldn't cost us a thing because we have an unlimited data plan, you would just have to tell them you understand because you would be getting charged if you weren't on the unlimited iPhone plan.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Ok I called up AT&T and they said that I could not get MMS activated on my account because I have the "Unlimited Messaging Feature" and it conflicts. She also acted like I couldn't get it anyway because I had an iPhone. I told her I switch phones sometimes though. I don't even think the setttings are working properly for the program though. I've input the correct MMSC and Proxy but I still get errors.

EDIT: After using your setting ZR Yancy it gave me a different error...but it looks to be a better error than before (make sense?) Now it's just saying that it can't connect to the proxy so maybe I need to have MMS enabled before I can send.

EDIT2: Also ZR, I believe the MMS messages wouldn't cost us a thing because we have an unlimited data plan, you would just have to tell them you understand because you would be getting charged if you weren't on the unlimited iPhone plan.

I read some people tried at least 3 different reps before they finally got them to do it. I'm gonna see a friend that works in one of the stores and see if she can activate it.

Like Kev said, i don't think you would be charged the 0.25 because of the unlimited data plan. but I could be wrong. :-|

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
I got it activated on my account. Still won't work though, and after some research, I don't think it will for us AT&T users. Seems that some users over at MMI are saying that AT&T blocks MMS traffic completely. I can't figure this out on my own so I'm going to wait for Swirly, or some more educated users to give us the word.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I tried to tell the rep I use another phone to send messages & he refused because he said the iPhone sim won't work on a regular phone.

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
I tried to tell the rep I use another phone to send messages & he refused because he said the iPhone sim won't work on a regular phone.
:confused: Amazing that people working for the company don't even know anything about the product. Keep calling, you'll get someone who can help you.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I tried several times & even spoke with a supervisor. They all told me in order to add MMS, they have to switch the IMEI to non iPhone. They said that it is not possible for their system to have an iPhone service with a non iPhone service at the same time.

THEHNIC

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
CA
Yeah AT&T sucks when trying to get mms working on you iPhone.

Took me three weeks to get it right on my wifes phone.

I use T-Mobile and everything works great.

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
Yeah AT&T sucks when trying to get mms working on you iPhone.

Took me three weeks to get it right on my wifes phone.

I use T-Mobile and everything works great.

what settings are you using?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
So after doing some research, it looks like there is no real (at least legit) way to get MMS to work properly on AT&T. I finally got over to a friend at one of the stores. She said AT&T has the MMS service blocked. So even if you do have them active it, it'll eventually get blocked again.

After reading through the Swirly forums. The way people are getting it work on previous firmware versions, is by using ZiPhone's jailbreak (meh) and changing the IMEI.

Another way i've read (and you lose visual voicemail by doing it) is putting your SIM in another phone. Calling up AT&T and confirm you're on a different phone. Then switch your service to Mediamax unlimited data and mms.

So really it's not worth all the trouble. If you think it's really worth it to have MMS, by all means go for it. This is a great app IMO. It's just getting it to work on AT&T is another thing.

D-Wade

Bronze
Aug 26, 2008
Singapore
I know we can get it for free
just for two weeks?
no way to extend? =)