Switch carrier with new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by imutter, Aug 30, 2012.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am pretty certain I switch carrier (1st time ever)
    AT&T has done it! With the hotspot we pay separate and no face time etc.
    The deciding factor for me was: Earlier today I read Sprint has added 4G LTE.
    Guess what? Right at my house I am covered.
    Now of course I want to keep my numbers and have iPhones the day they come out.
    Did anyone switch at release date keeping the numbers?
    I do not need to cancel AT &T right away.
    Looks like Sprint has a switching promotion too .......I am off to the store !
    Hmm I may just take dummy phones first and have it all set before realease date ?

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Ok. here is the deal
    At my house I got 2 4G LTE towers. One is 1 mile away the other 4 miles.
    With AT&T I get 4G LTE and Voice only at certain spots at my house.
    Verizion has 4G LTE a few blocks from me.
    Sprint offers now 4G LTE all through Ellicott City and Baltimore
    Sprint offers unlimited data text for over $600 a year less and I keep my hotspot and facetime over 3G (by the way my coverage is awesome for 3G and 4g wimax).
    Sprint is working better on military installations. My hubby has no coverage at the moment on base!

So here is goes $350 cancelation fees for AT&T.
    No big deal Sprint has 2 promotions going on
    1st come to the store and get $400 for switching 3 lines getting a family everything plan and signing 2 years
    (may not be valid in time for iPhone release)
    2nd get $100 credit for each phone line connected (must have credit union) starting September 15th I believe.
    Both offers are in store only.

Now I have to have hubby sign up. He has a discount through work and we have to be at the store to sign up.
    Camping is out of the question so we may not have the new phones at release date but we save $$$ A LOT and get unlimited data/text and more minutes!

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Those sound like pretty great promos!
    I'm a Sprint user.
    I checked Sprint's coverage maps for my locations before switching @ 4S launch last year. It indicated I was in the "best" coverage area, so I thought I was good to go.
    I'm a nutshell, Sprint's 3G data is extremely slow, with many getting well below Sprint's advertised 600 Kbps minimum 3G speed. The 3G network is severely overloaded. They are working on installing fiber optics on towers to increase backhaul. Part of Sprint's "Network Vision", to be completed by the end of next year nationwide.
    If its the WinMax 4G that's enabled in your area, that is the old 4G service that they are replacing with 4G LTE. Not sue if that's going to work with the new iPhone's reported upgrade.

I'm still with Sprint, as I believe they will get it sorted.
    I have been well taken care of by their customer service, and get quarterly discounts for my "premium data fees" (10 dollars a line monthly) as I have an open "executive trouble ticket", initiated by on line FCC complaint.

For the most part, really have not been put off too much, since 80 percent of the time iPhone is used at home on WiFi. Also have never had any issues with cellular service or dropped calls

If 3G sevice is important to you at home,I would suggest getting someone with Sprint service in you area, have them come over to your house and test drive service with WiFi disabled so you can get 3G test results, chcking speeds with speedtest.net app.

Here are a few related links:

Network Vision

4G LTE Coverage

Hope that helps....

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Thanks ! I never switched because of the slow sprint speeds. I am wifi at home and mostly concerned about voice at my house. I am around and about in the area so and then I would like to have good data speeds. Waiting for sons class to let out etc. Why have a 4G LTE phone if you have no service.
    Sprint just this week added 4G LTE it for us.
    Question is how does it stack up compare to Virizion LTE and AT&T LTE ?
    Now I won't do anything before I know what the phone going to be.
    http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/29/sprint-4g-lte-network-available-now/

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You will get good cellular (voice) @ home with Sprint I believe. I never had issues with that.
    If as you say, Sprint has activated 4G LTE in your area, sounds like you are in good shape to switch....

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I think I will.
    I was in Baltimore and I was suppose to have best data coverage and it was terrible. I am not certain if it is overload or What but nothing was working. I could not even do any speed tests. In middle of the city!

that is voice moderate

#7 imutter, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm guessing the pin is your home? That looks like you are covered there!
    How does the Sprint 4G LTE look around your city?

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Looks good mostly! They just started this week adding LTE. They say everyday a new area will be added.
    I hope I find out if we move before I make this switch.

10. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Sprint was absolutely awful with their data speeds. I switched to Verizon and previously had AT&T. I must admit AT&T had by far the best data speeds, however, the voice coverage was lacking so that is why I made the switch.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I have been reading up on LTE and spectrum and LTE advance etc.
    I am switchingjust need to work out specifics on getting our new phones on release dates and adding the deal.
    What means having hubby and I waiting in line at a Sprint store.

12. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You should go into one of the local stores and scope it out.
    Let them know that u plan on signing up for service on launch day. Ask them what the line was like at 4S launch.
    Maybe try to find a store that is out of the way, less likely to have a big line. If its likely to be crowded, one of you camps out starting in the early AM, then the other shows up just before opening, with coffee and donuts of course:D
    Also might want to think about selling your current iPhones to help cover any costs for signing up with Sprint or to allow you to buy larger GB models than you were going to....

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I already did there are a bunch of stands in Mall and the one I went to well let's say I was not impressed.
    The stores are mostly in Baltimore or DC. There is a Store in Columbia and I did go there. Now I had a great guy helping me and I have his card. Funny his last name is APPLER LOL.
    But he already told me last year they had a long line and camping people and only got 10 to 20 of each model phone.
    I will go back I have few more questions. I also will ask if I can go there with a POA and a copie of hubbys ID to sign up under his name for the discount. If not oh well I guess I won't have the phone release day. Or I won't get the "In store deal" Anyway I decide after the announcement.

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sorry, meant to say have instead of should. U already did the research, of course u went to the stores! :D

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I guess just a little while until I have to decide.
    I just hope we know about the move by then.

16. Wademvp91

Wademvp91 Member
    Bronze

I'm sticking with Verizon. Excellent service and the most 4G LTE

17. Brandonhacks

Brandonhacks New Member

Being that i was on tmobile for years with an iPhone getting like 30 kbps i will be fine with the coverage sprint can give me. I live in fort worth which shows I'm covered as well for 4G, but my concern is if they will get the new iPhone 5 on launch.

18. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sprint will get the iPhone 5 on launch....

19. Brandonhacks

Brandonhacks New Member

Thanks! If I'm a new customer should I go in on the 12th to create an account and preorder? or just camp out the 21st for the new phone?

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Brandonhacks I prefer to order from Apple.
    But there are special for coming into the store and signing a new contract.
    The dates for presale and release date are not announced.
    I suggest go into the store (I like store better then a Mall stand)
    and ask all questions there .........they have a better tool to see exactly where the LTE towers are.
    I am going back this week sometime and see if I can get someone to work with me. Sprint employees are on comission and I add 3 lines. All I want is get 3 phones 1 16 GB and 2 3s GB
    I have no idea what I do. I hope I know by the 12th.