Switch carrier with new iPhone

Sep 4, 2012
Well it's been rumored that pre orders will be the same day as the event and if that's the case I guess I'll just go in and get a new line with the pre order. Thanks!

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
OK while on was at drum lessons I decided to walk into Radio SHack
I had some time and some questions
They must be breaking all rules
he took a pre order LOL someone else already was on the list for 1 iPhone5
I am 2nd in line with 3.
He took all my info and once they do pre orders he said I am ask to buy a $50 giftcard and I can use it at release date.
I have no clue what to even think about it but he basically guaranteed me the phones unless they have less then 4 iPhone pre orders allowed ? They also have the deal they can offer me. I really need the deal to offset the $360 disconnection from AT&T. They take trade in on the old phones as well.
It all sounds a bid fishy?

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Brandonhacks & imutter
I was in the exact same position last year @ 4S launch.
I was switching carriers from tmibile to Sprint, and wanted to start service in advance to avoid any difficulties the morning of launch. That was not really an option, as I would have been locked into a contract with whatever device I chose before launch.
At that time, Sprint was not even officially getting the 4S, so employees were not supposed to even talk about it. I had developed a relationship with on of the employees, partially by sharing what I had gleened here and online, and together we were confident that it would happen. He even eventually confirmed they were getting the iPhone, with a nudge and a wink of course, off the record.
I wound up starting the line at that store at 10 PM, so was first to go through the door in the morning.
Had my choice of devices, was able to get a great 20% discount on monthly service fees (via friends and family disc.) and all went smooth as glass, including the porting over of numbers from T-Mobile.
Brandonhacks, as has been said elsewhere in this thread, I would suggest finding a small out of the way store and striking up a relationship with someone that knows what's happening. Let them know your intentions and going from there.
Hope your experiences are as pleasant as mine were...

Edit:
1000th post!

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
OK while on was at drum lessons I decided to walk into Radio SHack
I had some time and some questions
They must be breaking all rules
he took a pre order LOL someone else already was on the list for 1 iPhone5
I am 2nd in line with 3.
He took all my info and once they do pre orders he said I am ask to buy a $50 giftcard and I can use it at release date.
I have no clue what to even think about it but he basically guaranteed me the phones unless they have less then 4 iPhone pre orders allowed ? They also have the deal they can offer me. I really need the deal to offset the $360 disconnection from AT&T. They take trade in on the old phones as well.
It all sounds a bid fishy?
Yep, sounds fishy...
I'd be leery of Radio Shack. I recall horror stories of pre order and launch day employee shenanigans.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
So here it comes the unforeseen problem.
Some **** at the Finance office screwed up and my hubby did not get his last paycheck (retiring from 26 years of service in the military). Well I had to pull all resources to pay my rent. So no $ upfront to pay for 3 phones and pay the ETF at AT&T. I am looking into how to still switch. I may just stay with AT&T and switch a bid later but by then I added a 2 year for the new phone. But I could sell that phone after unlocking it? Unless we get some other pay the Military still owes us we are left with AT&T .It stinks but I may just switch later when I just walk into the store get the phones and be done with it. Perhaps at Christmas they have deals again for switching? That way I can also try out AT&T LTE and perhaps get 14 day trail at Sprint to try LTE before I make the switch and regret it afterwards.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
So here it comes the unforeseen problem.
Some **** at the Finance office screwed up and my hubby did not get his last paycheck (retiring from 26 years of service in the military). Well I had to pull all resources to pay my rent. So no $ upfront to pay for 3 phones and pay the ETF at AT&T. I am looking into how to still switch. I may just stay with AT&T and switch a bid later but by then I added a 2 year for the new phone. But I could sell that phone after unlocking it? Unless we get some other pay the Military still owes us we are left with AT&T .It stinks but I may just switch later when I just walk into the store get the phones and be done with it. Perhaps at Christmas they have deals again for switching? That way I can also try out AT&T LTE and perhaps get 14 day trail at Sprint to try LTE before I make the switch and regret it afterwards.
imutter This sucks. I'm glad you got the $ for your rent. The iPhone situation is messed up too, but hopefuly you work that out. If you can't switch yet, it might not be the end of the world. Hopefully the AT&T service will be good wherever you end up moving and you can always swtich later. Main thing is, you get the new iPhones. I really hope that happens for you and your guys!

Military has to get that together a little better. They can't mess with the $ like that.

Bazini

Oct 21, 2011
If you are "grandfathered" in with AT&T unlimited data plan I am not sure why you would switch ?
Does not make much sense to me

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
I made up my mind I stick around with AT&T for now. Test out the LTE.
I may do a test run with Sprint later in the Year. They do have 14 days satisfaction guarantee.
I can always sell my AT&T phones later and make up for the disconnection fee.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011