Switch from AT&T to Verizon for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Jdsmitty10, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I have been on AT&T since the Cingular days.. Never had a problem with signal, dropped calls etc.. Been happy with AT&T. Now looking at the coverage maps where I'm located/where my hometown is(moving back eventually) AT&T doesn't even have 4g let alone LTE.. Now looking at Verizon's maps and from seeing my parents verizon LTE coverage on their home network it seems like a no brainer to make the switch to Verizon.. Where I live now and my hometown both have LTE Verizon coverage.. Any reason why I shouldn't switch? I don't have unlimited AT&T or anything to keep me with them.. I do read that att has faster 3g and 4g but 4g isn't even in my area right now..Thoughts? Comments? Input? Pricing seems pretty much the same for share everything plans... Thanks!

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not all areas near me have AT&T LTE yet, but their 3g+ is pretty snappy and I really like the simultaneous voice and data. These were enough to keep me with AT&T.

3. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Forgot to include my current pricing in first post.

Right now on AT&T we have the family plan with 550 min w/ rollover(over 3000 rollover mins accumulated),200 texts per phone, and 200mb data per iPhone. 2 iPhones on plan. Total cost with fees with a 15% work discount is $105.. I definitely want to add to my data but my wife really wouldn't use much more so doesn't care to upgrade her data limits. So on AT&T I could upgrade for $15 more a month for 3gb all for myself.. Totaling about $120 on my bill. I used to have text overage problems before iMessage came about. Now I never go over texts. With 3k rollover we donthave to worry about minutes either. Now if I go to Verizon I would have to go with the share everything plans which would be nice to not have any min or text worries and probably share 2gb(to see how much we use at first) between 2 iPhones which would basically be for my iPhone since she really doesn't use that much data. Verizon's price before fees and bs would be $140(18% discount or work would take some off that but the fees would put it at I would guess 140ish.. So.. Save 20ish bucks a month, get 1gb more data, talk and surf, not have 4g or LTE on At&t for who knows how long in my area or pay an extra 20ish/month for unlimited talk, text, and 2gb shared data w/ 4g LTE coverage on Verizon? Lol decisions decisions.. How long is AT&T gonna take to catch up to Verizon?

4. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

My advice to you is to wait until after you move and see how things go. Apparently the iPhone 5 will work on both networks according to a Verizon customer service agent. Of there is even the slightest possibility that you could stay with AT&T, you should. I was in your boat and let me tell ya. I HAD to switch because I had zero bars where I moved. But Verizon sucks. I have signal, sure. But their customer service is deplorable! Makes my blood pressure skyrocket just thinking about em. I hate them! And I think I had a LOT more for my money with AT&T too.

5. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

By the way, since I had zero signal, AT&T waived my cancellation fee. Probably helped that I had been with them for 9 years. :)

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

My fam lives there on Verizon. I have lived and my inlaws are there on AT&T. There are some dead spots in the area but both AT&T and Verizon are equal on that aspect so signal isn't an issue. It's basically not Gettin the fastest speeds the 5 is capable of that I'm worried about on AT&T.. I really don't have any problem with AT&T in both areas I frequent and never had issues with them for any reason. It's all about the speed I guess. Is it worth about 20 bucks a month for 4g LTE? Wish I knew what AT&T s plans are as far as adding that to my areas..

7. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I spend most of my time on wifi. But I'm telling you. Verizon is horrible in the customer service department. AT&T will waive fees and charges willy nilly. Verizon will NOT and will be rude with you just for asking. And you will be on hold for ever. And if you start a new plan they force you to get the share everything unlisted talk and text plans with the iPhone. So with 2gb of data you would be paying 100 + taxes and fees a month for one line. When I was on AT&T I was paying 100 altogether every month and I was happy every time I called customer service.

8. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

I agree here completely. I had to switch back to AT&T after being with them for years before. I left Verizon had to pay the fee which is fine...whatever. BUT then they said I never paid it turned it in to my credit report not telling me or sending anything. I found it there called and had to dig up where I paid them and argue with the service dept. it was pure hell for weeks. I'm in a bad area where I live for signal, but mainly use wifi here anyway. No more changes here.

9. Olivia23

Olivia23 New Member

I've been with every carrier and to me personally AT&T was the worst in signal and customer service. I've had Verizon for 4 years now I have signal all the time now and every time I call I get excellent customer service so it's a matter of opinion who has better customer service.

I also had verizon waive my upgrade fee every time I upgrade. I just ask them lol.

10. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Don't switch. Do you want to lose voice and data at the same time (Only AT&T has this)? I use it all the time when on the phone, via Bluetooth.

I have a FAN government discount and the customer service has been the best. I get a live person every time and don't have to navigate through the phone tree like I did with a FAN with Verizon.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I agree. Mindi told me I'd miss simultaneous voice and data when I ordered my Verizon iPhone 5. I said, "Naw, I'll adjust."

Heheh. I guess I'm not as smart as I think I am. I'm happy I hadn't already ported my number; I stayed with AT&T.

12. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I have never talked on the phone and surfed on my 4.. I really don't talk on the phone in general. I dot think I will miss that feature. I think I am decided on goin to Verizon. Just makes sense to have the faster network for the faster phone.. Thanks or the input!

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Okay. :D

5S2rm.jpg

14. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I don't know anything about the speeds of AT&T or Verizon but I'm guessing your posting this because AT&T is faster LTE.. But that doesn't help me if AT&T doesn't even have 4g in my area let alone LTE.. 2 yrs from now for my next iPhone(6?) maybe I will go back to AT&T when they get more LTE

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Of course everyone's local speeds will differ. I posted that to show that I'm pretty happy with my AT&T speed in my area. :)

16. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

You'll regret it!

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Who? me? Not a chance. I've had AT&T for over five years and like it a lot. Never had a problem with them.

18. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

The person talking about making a change.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Ah.

20. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I hope I don't but I just can't stay with a network that doesn't offer the latest and greatest in my area.. Plus my family never complained of customer service probs with Verizon and they did deal with them while having some home network issues.. They seem to be quite happy with Verizon. As far as charges I plan on "chatting" on Verizon's website to get them to not Charge me the activation fees. If they won't then I will tell then I am stayin on AT&T. But as far as I know I thought I saw a coupon anyway for free activation when u order online..