Switch from AT&T to Verizon for iPhone 5?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I hope I don't but I just can't stay with a network that doesn't offer the latest and greatest in my area.. Plus my family never complained of customer service probs with Verizon and they did deal with them while having some home network issues.. They seem to be quite happy with Verizon. As far as charges I plan on "chatting" on Verizon's website to get them to not Charge me the activation fees. If they won't then I will tell then I am stayin on AT&T. But as far as I know I thought I saw a coupon anyway for free activation when u order online..
Verizon Wireless and Verizon Communications (for your home) are two different companies. They might have the same parent company but different customer service rep's. I have no problem with the Verizon FiOS customer service, but hate the Wireless division.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
When you had something but you never used it, you will want to use it and it now won't be there. Good luck with your switch to Verizon Wireless.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
Verizon Wireless and Verizon Communications (for your home) are two different companies. They might have the same parent company but different customer service rep's. I have no problem with the Verizon FiOS customer service, but hate the Wireless division.
Is it separate even if they are on a wireless LTE plan? They are in the boonies with no cable option and other than dish Internet they had I get wireless through Verizon. A lot of Verizon haters lol..

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
Well I went to te mall to both AT&T and Verizon to look at iPhone 5's to try to figure out what color I want. After seeing how scratched the black was I am def getting white. But one thing I noticed was the Verizon iPhone was showing 3G. Walked across the mall and the AT&T one was showing 4g. I asked Verizon about it they said they were testing towers. But what's up with that? According to maps there is no 4g AT&T in my area but it had it in the store and there is supposedly 4g Verizon and there wasn't any in te store.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well I went to te mall to both AT&T and Verizon to look at iPhone 5's to try to figure out what color I want. After seeing how scratched the black was I am def getting white. But one thing I noticed was the Verizon iPhone was showing 3G. Walked across the mall and the AT&T one was showing 4g. I asked Verizon about it they said they were testing towers. But what's up with that? According to maps there is no 4g AT&T in my area but it had it in the store and there is supposedly 4g Verizon and there wasn't any in te store.
It sounds like LTE service isn't available on either carrier in your area, or at least not in that mall.
I'm simplifying it, but AT&T's 3G network is faster than Verizon's and it is fast enough that they were able to relabel/rename it 4G (HSPA+) last year. But the network on both carriers will say LTE if true 4G is available. I don't think the black scratches as easily as many people think/say it does, if that's your only reason for going with white.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
It sounds like LTE service isn't available on either carrier in your area, or at least not in that mall.
I'm simplifying it, but AT&T's 3G network is faster than Verizon's and it is fast enough that they were able to relabel/rename it 4G (HSPA+) last year. But the network on both carriers will say LTE if true 4G is available. I don't think the black scratches as easily as many people think/say it does, if that's your only reason for going with white.
I see. This black one looked terrible. Edges of bevel were bare aluminum and a few areas where it was flaking off.. I don't use a case so probably for resale down the road white is the way to go for me..as much as I hate to say it..

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Why not add a line to your parents Verizon account and try out the iP5 on both AT&T and Verizon for 14 days. Prior to the end of the 14 day period return the one you do not want to use.

~S

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
Don't switch. Do you want to lose voice and data at the same time (Only AT&T has this)? I use it all the time when on the phone, via Bluetooth.

I have a FAN government discount and the customer service has been the best. I get a live person every time and don't have to navigate through the phone tree like I did with a FAN with Verizon.
correction att is not the only one that can do talk and data at the same time. you can also do both with sprints wimax. if you have wimax in your area that would be the better choice plus you would get unlimited data, somthing that att no longer offers unless you don't mind jumping through hoops to get. but i must admit wimax is in very limited areas:(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
correction att is not the only one that can do talk and data at the same time. you can also do both with sprints wimax. if you have wimax in your area that would be the better choice plus you would get unlimited data, somthing that att no longer offers unless you don't mind jumping through hoops to get. but i must admit wimax is in very limited areas:(
Simultaneous voice and data doesn't work on the Sprint iPhone 5. This is because the iPhone 5 doesn't have a third antenna and it doesn't support Wimax. The only iPhones that do simultaneous voice and data in the US are AT&T iPhones. Also, Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data to new customers, either.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
There are no hoops to jump through to get unlimited with AT&T. It's just not available. PERIOD!

Sprint is on CDMA, an old technology that doesn't allow it. AT&T is on GSM. T-mobile is on GSM.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
There are no hoops to jump through to get unlimited with AT&T. It's just not available. PERIOD!

Sprint is on CDMA, an old technology that doesn't allow it. AT&T is on GSM. T-mobile is on GSM.
humm the last time i checked which was approx 4 months ago. the loop hole was still open. but i take it you don't know about the loop hole. that's ok not very many folks do. only upper mgmnt from att really know about and the ones that do know about it. ain't gonna tell you. but just to make sure i will double check this weekend. with my sources.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
Why not add a line to your parents Verizon account and try out the iP5 on both AT&T and Verizon for 14 days. Prior to the end of the 14 day period return the one you do not want to use.

~S
That's an idea but probably more of a PIA than its worth being we live 2hrs away at the moment.. I know they get 4g LTE in their area.. In my area I was just surprised to not see it on the Verizon phone I looked at but did on the AT&T one when I expected the opposite...

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
humm the last time i checked which was approx 4 months ago. the loop hole was still open. but i take it you don't know about the loop hole. that's ok not very many folks do. only upper mgmnt from att really know about and the ones that do know about it. ain't gonna tell you. but just to make sure i will double check this weekend. with my sources.
It won't affect me as I still have the unlimited plan and will not give it up ever, unless AT&T makes me. :p