Switch from Blackberry to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hdtrader, Mar 28, 2008.

1. hdtrader

hdtrader New Member

Hello everybody...my first post on this forum and in need of guidance. I just activated my 8G iPhone yesterday and finally got my email working today. Now this is my problem...on my BB Pearl I would receive email alerts whenever a message was delivered whether it was in my pocket or in the holster...however, it seems the iPhone does not have this feature...please tell me I'm wrong and don't have it set-up correctly. I really liked the email alert whenever I got mail on the Blackberry. Send help.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Huntsville AL

2. geordisjd

geordisjd Zealot
    Bronze

Sure, go to settings>sounds>new mail/voicemail...etc. You can choose an alert sound, and whether or not it vibrates.

3. jimmyjimmy64

jimmyjimmy64 New Member
    Bronze

the iPhone currently doesn't do push email. It only checks the server ever 15 mins, 30 mins, etc. based on the settings.

4. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

It is supposed to have Yahoo Push email capabilities, but we've all found that to be spotty at best.

5. hdtrader

hdtrader New Member

Thanks ColsTiger...jimmyjimmy64...georisjd for the replies. I guess the jury is still out on whether I keep this phone, trade for the AT&T Tilt, or possibly switch to the Verizon Voyager.

Thanks again
    randy

6. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

We've got a nice button to show appreciate for helpful replies.;)

7. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

Like the other posters have mentioned, you can set up the iPhone to either give a tone or vibration when a new message arrives. Your flexibility compared to the BB is very limited. On my BB 8703, I have the option to select any combination of tones/tone+vibrate/vibrate/no tone whether in the holster or out. The BB also had the option of lighting the LED (flashes red when a new message is received) so you didn't have to turn it on to see a new message has arrived. With the iPhone (at least un jailbroken), I don't believe you have these options.

8. hdtrader

hdtrader New Member

ColsTiger...found the button. Guess that explains why I have a hard time learning new technology...

9. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

Naaaaah. You'll fit in just fine around here.:)

10. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

push email is one of the main features coming out with the next software upgrade from my understanding in the summer. so if you can be patient, that crap is coming and will be better than ever.

11. i robot

i robot Member
    Silver

yeah true but if your with a firm you may have to wait a little while while they check the security and red tape surrounding the iPhones new push mail as its a different method than the one used by RIM on the BB. I know we are getting warning flags from our IT people.

12. lilpimpster316

lilpimpster316 New Member

i recently had a blackberry bold that broke due to water damage. My gf gave me her ipnone 2g and i was very thankful. i have a question though. My blackberry bold was an AT&T phone so when i switch the sim card to the iPhone should i jailbreak and unlock it or just jailbreak it?

13. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

If all you want to do is use the phone on AT&T, you don't need to do either. Just put your SIM card in and connect it to iTunes. If you wanted to actually jailbreak it as well, that's all you need to do. An unlock isn't necessary.

14. lilpimpster316

lilpimpster316 New Member

what if i already unlocked it?

15. thetonyclifton

thetonyclifton New Member
    Bronze

Wont matter - just means if you want to put a sim in from a different provider it will work.

If you what rid of the unlock anyway - you can just do a clean restore.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That will work fine as long as your SIM is not a 3G. It would work on a 3G or 3GS, but not in a V1 (2g). If that's the case, you'll need to get a new SIM at AT&T. Either way, you don't need to jailbreak or unlock.

17. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I got home today, and my White iPhone 4S was delivered...

I switched my account with AT&T from my BlackBerry BOLD 9900, to my iPhone 4S.
    Surprisingly doing this over the phone with an AT&T representative took 33 minutes. Seriously? I simply wish I could make the switch seamlessly online, versus calling Customer Service.

Yesterday, I had already done a backup of my iPhone 4. So today I merely did a restore to my iPhone 4S.

Weird how everything seems just the same as it was on my iPhone 4. I suppose I should play with Siri a bit.

So, now what?

18. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Check out the camera. It's pretty good. Also I've noticed this phone is much louder and clearer than previous ones.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

check the speed of safari, you can tell the difference right there. Take some pictures in low lighting. Siri will come REALLY handy when you drive, mostly. Don't let the same design and retina display fool you, this is as big of a jump as it was from the 3GS to the iPhone4.

20. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Also, you can "death grip" the hell out of it without any signal loss.