Switch from Sprint to Verizon ?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by snowtrooper1966, Sep 11, 2012.

1. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm really on the fence, having a hard time deciding.
    I posted this in another thread, but it was off topic (I know, big surprise coming from me :D) so am looking for some input....

Sprint's already taxed network has been severely crippled with the influx of data hungry iPhone users since launch last October.
    I did a minimal amount of research before initiating service @ 4S launch in October, erroneously just looking at the coverage maps they provide and taking them at face value, not looking for any real world user corroboration.
    I consistently get about 1/3 (200 mbps) of the Sprint advertised minimum of 600 for 3G data speeds.
    I have been able to get quarterly refunds for my premium "data service charges" on all lines for my family plan.up to this point, the customer service has been quite good, once you are able to side step the low level CSR's. I've been patiently waiting for the rollout of "network vision", and to see improvements in my area (San Diego, CA).
    Feeling confident the iPhone 5 will incorporate 4G LTE comparability, I've been researching that as well.
    In a nutshell, the ideal frequency for best LTE coverage is 800 mHz. It looks like Verizon and AT&T have wisely gobbled all that up, so as the latecomer after abandoning the failed WinMax 4G "experiment", Sprint was forced to buy chunks of 900mHz frequency. Still viable for LTE deployment, but not as efficient or far reaching, with a quicker decay leading to degraded signal performance.
    It looks like they are currently building out in my area, with a scheduled roll out in early February.
    Knowing this, I approached my contacts at Sprint to allow me an early upgrade this month for the iPhone 5, trying to leverage my my nearly 12 month long bad experience with current 3G data speeds as justification, with the thought that the forthcoming 4G improvement would make up for the trouble.
    To my surprise, the refused. They offered instead to let me out of my contract without any ETF.
    It blows me away they would offer to let me out of my 3 line contract penalty free as opposed to an early upgrade and new 2 year contract.

I'm actually considering jumping ship to VZ for the 5, but not stoked on the prospect of higher bills or capped data.
    I guess I have to decide what's more important:

Sprint's unlimited (still crippled) data speeds with a 160 per month bill for 3 lines on three 4S's
    VS
    Verizon's capped blazing fast 4GTE for +- 200 monthly on 3 iPhone 5's

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

$40 more for outstanding service and speed sound worth it to me. I would abandon ship with Sprint. Definitely respect Sprint for offering up the exit without the ETF. Do you use that much data that requires unlimited, if you do and the speed sucks is it worth it to have unlimited with Sprint?

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Good points, Alex.
    Just looking to the future as far as having unlimited plan. Currently not data hogs, but it would be nice to have that security.
    40 bucks does sound like a bargain, but family is on a fairly tight budget....

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

wow no ETF ? I wish I got that.
    You know I really want to switch to Sprint for the unlimited plan. I did the same research about spectrum etc.
    No ETF would make jump ship for certain.
    Why Sprint because the way I see it their vision for LTE also includes LTE advance (the next step up). They are building a whole new network and yes they have no 800 mHz spectrum.
    What sticks on my mind is where I read (I will find it and post it later )
    Sprint said something to the fact perhaps they don't have the top speed but reliable speeds.
    I encounter just that with At&t
    When I have awesome speed it's amazing but I I hardly get the top speeds ever.
    I rather have good speed at all times then top speeds sometimes.
    That said I live in Baltimore DC area
    I have LTE at my house from AT&T and Sprint and Verizon a few blocks down the road
    Sprint Vision is aready implemented here by LTE and improved 3g all through DC and around
    I would otherwise not even think about it !
    Even that no ETF ? WOW what does it mean ?

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sprints data speeds are not going to get any better any time soon. Fact.

6. monkeysrock0622

Gold

I do not currently have Verizon (I am still on AT&T) but I am planning on switching to them for the 5. I work at an Apple retail store and there are very few Sprint customers with iPhones compared to AT&T and Verizon. Every customer that currently has Verizon always tells me how much they love the customer service Verizon offers. Their prices are higher than Sprint but for what you get I think it is worth it. As a constant iPhone user, I really don't see the big deal with unlimited data anymore. I use my iPhone for communication and internet usage 24/7 and I rarely go over 2 gb. Everyone just assumes that they need to keep their grandfathered unlimited data plans (or switch to sprint for it) but the truth is that the majority of the public does not need it. If you are posting on this forum I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of the few that uses a lot, but your family most likely does not need it (unless they are as avid users as you are).

Basically, with the super fast speeds, great coverage, quality customer service, and now the ability to do conference calls and surf the web while on a call, I don't see why more people plan to switch to Verizon.

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I have to trust you I guess

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

You know me. I give it to y'all straight. I've never pulled a punch or held back with anyone here

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

yes, Im really pulling for the underdog Sprint, but....
    The fact that my contact in the Sprint Executive and Regulatory services department would rather "churn" (cut loose) me as a cutomer and let me out of my contract penalty free, when all I wanted was an early upgrade has me thinking she knows they may not be getting the iPhone 5 at launch, and that their LTE service will not be as competitive as VZN's.

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Part of that is that they make more money off of you leaving than staying. The thought process for all carriers is that you will come back eventually and that costs you.
    Sprint doesn't make money off of its cellular customers. They make money off of their cellular customers using other services provided by sprint. Sprint list 320 million dollars last year in refunding valid charges back to its customers. That is a lot of money. It's all because they had the whole "trust and adjust" attitude for years and now those customers still expect it. The new customers don't and can't say "in the past" or " you guys always have waived that"

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I just checked my family's data usage for the past 6 months, and to my surprise have not even exceeded 2GB in a single billing cycle, so as you say, perhaps I am overvaluing the "unlimited data" aspect of Sprint's service. On the other hand, if I had access to 4G LTE data at the speed users experience on VZN, would I be using more?
    More to ponder......

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Do you feel that you don't use more data due to the speeds? Or due to abundance of wifi?

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Since I've been out of work a few months, most of my recent iPhone data usage has been on a solid WiFi home network with respectable speeds.

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

So I use wifi a lot. I never stop what I'm doing and not do it because I am worried about using cellular data. I am on a 2gb plan per month with AT&T. The pic I will post shows my usage total for the last 22 months.
    Very small lol

On a side note. My place of businesss is at an IBM building working for sprint and Apple. We have no wifi available to us. Comical.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Forgot the pic
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1347428495.128942.jpg

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I used to have Verizon. For several years. I hated the billing. I hated how every month my bill was different.
    AT&T cust care is amazing IMO.

I think "to each their own" plays into this a lot.

18. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I probably use more since my device is struggling so hard to download on 3G :D

Honestly, in retrospect, it's more of a desire to mitigate the frustration of slow data speeds when in the wild VS what I experience on WiFi.
    The only thing that really changes when not on WiFi is the increased amount of time spent doing similar tasks, not what I'm doing.