Switched from Mac to PC, iPhone disconnects?

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
Okay originaly my Phone was formatted from a Mac laptop, now I got a new windows Vista computer and when I connect my iPhone to it it always disconnects after about 5mins? why is this happening is it because my phone is still in Mac format and windows doesn't him Mac?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
That has nothing to do with it being Mac or Windows formatted. Do you get a pop-up message requesting that you take some type of action (e.g., open files, play video, do nothing, etc.) Do you have administrative rights under iTunes? That is one of the new security features of Vista. You may be logged in as an administrator, but you still need to go into preferences (right click on icon) and select run as administrator. You may also want to think about running iTunes in XP mode.

There are also patches that Apple has released for iTunes. You may want to check to see if you are current.

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
That has nothing to do with it being Mac or Windows formatted. Do you get a pop-up message requesting that you take some type of action (e.g., open files, play video, do nothing, etc.) Do you have administrative rights under iTunes? That is one of the new security features of Vista. You may be logged in as an administrator, but you still need to go into preferences (right click on icon) and select run as administrator. You may also want to think about running iTunes in XP mode.

There are also patches that Apple has released for iTunes. You may want to check to see if you are current.

I kinda lost on trying to make iTune run as administrator?

H

Hayesimus

FYI, I LOVE your new avatar Eragon! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Okay originaly my Phone was formatted from a Mac laptop, now I got a new windows Vista computer and when I connect my iPhone to it it always disconnects after about 5mins? why is this happening is it because my phone is still in Mac format and windows doesn't him Mac?
Is your new computer a laptop? Is the 5 minute disconnect a power saving feature? Does it happen when your laptop is plugged in or when operating off of battery?

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
My new computer is a Pavilion Elite its a desk top that runs 32bit processor.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Are you able to sync with the computer while it is still connected? After it disconnects, does your iPhone still get power via the USB connection?

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
Are you able to sync with the computer while it is still connected? After it disconnects, does your iPhone still get power via the USB connection?

well when it disconnects it completely loses its power to the computer it doesn't even charge anymore but then after a few seconds the computer sees the iPhone again and connects it again. (this goes on as a loop).

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
This is a tough nut to crack, my friend. The iPhone worked normally on your Mac laptop. It is not working properly on your new desktop. Is there another PC you can use to confirm that the problem is not your iPhone?

I found a thread in the Apple discussions forum where voltage sensitivities due to a failing fan motor in the desktop were enough to cause the iPod (in that case) to disconnect.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6886265

Because it is easy to do, try a reset (home button/sleep button) and re-sync. You need to rule out hardware issues on either device.

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
damn... and sometimes this msg pops up right when I connect my phone into the computer. "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone" because an invalid response was received from the device.