Switching computers. How do I move my iPhone setup to a new computer?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Craw

Nov 29, 2007
Hi,

My iPhone is currently set up on my work's iMac. I will be switching job positions soon and will need to move my iPhone setup to either: my new position's computer (not sure if it will be pc or mac), or to a mac laptop that I will purchase in the future.

How do I go about taking my iPhone setup off of my current iMac, and what will happen "in transition", where I am not sure which computer I will be setting up the iPhone?

Can I just move my whole iTunes folder to a portable hard drive?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

My iPhone is currently set up on my work's iMac. I will be switching job positions soon and will need to move my iPhone setup to either: my new position's computer (not sure if it will be pc or mac), or to a mac laptop that I will purchase in the future.

How do I go about taking my iPhone setup off of my current iMac, and what will happen "in transition", where I am not sure which computer I will be setting up the iPhone?

Can I just move my whole iTunes folder to a portable hard drive?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
I would back up the whole iTunes. File -> Back Up to Disk
(You should already have a backup!) and import that into your new machine.

Then plug the iPhone in. Easy - s'a Mac innit!

WiseMax

Oct 21, 2009
Very good reminder!...

OK, I know that this is 2 years old, but...

Now, that would be lovely that I'm taught how to move my iPhone sync from a Windows computer (\\systemdrive\usersfolders\myusername\music\iTunes - the user folder has a diferent path in windows xp, vista and 7) to my new Mac.

I am using a program/driver that "translates" WinNT file system to Mac file system, so my Mac "undestands" perfectly whatever is in the Windows NT type folders (read AND write).

So, could I just "copy" the thing over from the Windows networked computer?

Thanks in advance!