Switching from Android to iPhone

awesomo

Feb 26, 2011
hi guys. im an Apple newbie. in fact i've never owned an Apple product let alone an ipod. i am interested in getting a new iPhone, however i have some reservations. i am currently using an Android phone and i love the fact that i can just plug it into my laptop or pc and create folders and drag and drop files in there. it is important for me because i need to sometimes email attachment files for work. can i do this with the iPhone or do i need to do some tweaking or install an app for it. i know Apple has their own system and standards. although the Android has pretty much everything i need because i can careless about iTunes and music. however i do want to give the iPhone a try. oh also can i charge it by plugging it into a pc like my Android? thanks for your help!

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
Isn't it funny how most Android users hate on iPhone? But yet a bunch are switching to iPhone. This girl I know swore she'd never get an iPhone because Android was so much better than iPhone 4. I read her Facebook page today because she said she broke her phone which was an Android phone then she said she finally upgraded to iPhone 4. Which made no sense to me because she said before that the iPhone was a downgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

Mar 8, 2011
I just switched from the Motorola Droid 855. I will tell you the truth I loved my droid and having flash ruled. But guess what made up my mind? Netfix that's right I can watch movie right on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
my droid 855 was destroyed...long story... n I upgraded to an iPhone 4 haven't regretted it one bit...I did love my droid tho

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I loved my Android too and definitely miss having Flash too and all the customizing. I do love the iPhone too though and already had a lot of apps. The iPhone is a bit more user friendly, the Android you really have to get use to all it can do and then it's great, just not as simple as the iPhone. Both have their plus and minuses. I honestly love them both.

PS-That goes for Web OS too. There are things about it I absolutely love, but the app market hasn't caught up to Apple and Android.
I guess I am just a tech geek at heart.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
There are things about it I absolutely love, but the app market hasn't caught up to Apple and Android.
I guess I am just a tech geek at heart.
Which makes me wonder if the Android App Market ever will catch up to the App Store. I just don't think the incentive is there for developers like it is with the App Store - they have a much wider audience and a better return on their efforts, I think.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Which makes me wonder if the Android App Market ever will catch up to the App Store. I just don't think the incentive is there for developers like it is with the App Store - they have a much wider audience and a better return on their efforts, I think.
No, I liked the Android Market, to me it was great, the market I was talking about was the WedOS for Palm/HP, I loved the Palm OS just not the market. The Android market had a lot of the apps you find in the iPhone or similar. I was very happy with it and I think developers know it's a big money maker too. I think for Android users it's not a matter of catching up because for the most part it suits.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
In my family an circle of friends there is a mix. Right now I'm with a bunch of my family down in our place in South Florida. My aunt has the Motorola Droid (the latest one). The screen is very, very clear (not as sharp as the iPhone 4) but as far as user friendliness, I give that reward to the iPhone. It's much more intuitive.

Sundevil75

Bronze
Feb 22, 2011
I just switched from the Motorola Droid 855. I will tell you the truth I loved my droid and having flash ruled. But guess what made up my mind? Netfix that's right I can watch movie right on my phone.

Uhh both my brothers and a few friends have droids and they all watch Netflix on their phones...it's not just an iPhone thing

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
The only thing I am envious of is the bigger screen. I was checking out my sister in laws Droid X this weekend and the screen is fantastic. I would trade my clearer retina for it.

My notifications with "Lockscreen" are much better.

And I was saddened to find that she has no clue how to do anything but email...what a waste!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Uhh both my brothers and a few friends have droids and they all watch Netflix on their phones...it's not just an iPhone thing

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/Android_owners_netflix_has_good_news_and_bad_news.php

If you already own an Android device, Netflix likely won't work on your device. As a matter of fact, it will only work on new devices and possibly not all of those. We're placing a bet right now that "Netflix included!" is the tagline of the next successful generation of Android phones.

Netflix first arrived on smartphones last August, landing on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Next, the service hit the Windows 7 platform. Android, however, has been elusive. According to a post on the company's blog last November, the big problem with Netflix on Android is Digital Rights Management (DRM).

Although we don't have a common platform security mechanism and DRM, we are able to work with individual handset manufacturers to add content protection to their devices. Unfortunately, this is a much slower approach and leads to a fragmented experience on Android, in which some handsets will have access to Netflix and others won't. This clearly is not the preferred solution, and we regret the confusion it might create for consumers. However, we believe that providing the service for some Android device owners is better than denying it to everyone.

This week, the first of those DRM-compliant devices began to surface. Laptop Magazine has posted demonstrations from Qualcomm and Texas Instruments, which show a beta version of Netflix streaming video on Android devices. Take a look at Laptop Magazine's article if you want the real nitty-gritty on processors and security protocols, but the long and short of it is, we're likely to begin seeing stickers boasting "Now with Netflix!" on new Android phones.

So where does this leave you? If you own an Android phone or tablet today, it sounds like you won't be able to run the Netflix Watch Instantly app. And if you buy a brand new Android phone or tablet later this year, your device may or may not have the appropriate DRM libraries to run the application, even if you know what processor it has in it. Talk about fragmentation!

Mar 8, 2011
I'm really trying here to like this phone. Having Netflix and not having to have my iPod with me all the time is nice but boy do I miss my droid. I think if I had to do it over I would go with the droid x.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'm really trying here to like this phone. Having Netflix and not having to have my iPod with me all the time is nice but boy do I miss my droid. I think if I had to do it over I would go with the droid x.

Care to elaborate on what you're missing? Are you over the 14 day trial period. If not, return it and get the Droid X.