Switching from Android to iPhone

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I test an Android phone once in a while (for around two weeks each). I might be tempted to switch one day if the OS satisfies me. It just hasn't so far. I'd like battery life to be better as well without having to hack into the thing. Maybe one day.

Sep 6, 2010
These phones and operating systems are all essentially the same, the same is true with the tablets (ipad vs xoom.)
We are at a point where the distinguishing things are non-existent.

The only thing is the Apple design and Apps. In those categories Apple is way ahead.
For the enthusiasts, they also care about the philosophy of Apple for Google. I don't trust open, I like my garden fenced in.
You forgot to mention the fact that Adroid is far more customizable right out of the box than Apples iPhone or iPad. Both of those require jailbreak to get true customization.

Sep 6, 2010
I test an Android phone once in a while (for around two weeks each). I might be tempted to switch one day if the OS satisfies me. It just hasn't so far. I'd like battery life to be better as well without having to hack into the thing. Maybe one day.
Naps, are you getting better battery life on your JB iPhone? I was seeing the same after after 3 full charges on the Inspire. Although, if you were talking about the EVO, that might be why. CDMA devices use a lot more battery power than GSM devices.

Sep 6, 2010
Here's one!

I owned an iPhone for 3 years and switched to an EVO (and about to be a Thunderbolt) last June and I'd NEVER go back to the iPhone! While it is a great phone its just to boring for me and the same ol thing (for the most part) it was when it came out. Everything in the OS still looks and operates the same, too closed down, no real multitasking, HATE the notification system, and is to small.

All in all...I'm just loving where Android is going...especially with HTC Sense and its getting more and more polished and elegant like the iPhone as the updates are released.

Maybe iOS will actually get a real update in the future that catches up with the times but until then...I have ZERO interest in owning an iPhone again!
Well said, Liberation. I recently used the HTC Inspire, and I couldn't believe that it came with stuff out of the box that I had to JB my iPhones for. Notification on a non-jailbroken iPhone fails in comparison to Android.... Also, Apples claims to having the most simplistic OS are almost over from what I got out of the Inspire. I picked up almost everything on the first day, without the need of a manual...... The Apps issue that Apple fans keep bragging about is getting old now. I was able to find every app that I use on my iPhone 4, except Talking Carl. And most of the Apps were either pre-installed, or I found them free in the Market Place.

AllenConder

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
Enjoy your bloatware, horrific battery, and themes widgets that slow down your phone...Android isn't for power users, or people who are not glued to a charger

Is iPhone perfect? No, but my last post (other then when I said no one I know picks Android over iPhone) is fact

Oh did i mention updates? Here is a funny story! The Samsung Moment, when released was a very nice phone...but wont get 2.2 (and got 2.1 months late) Why? Is it the specs? Well it can't because it has 800mhz and 256 ram (outdated yes) but 2.2 is on MANY phones with FAR less specs (ask metro pcs and t-mobile)

At least Apple honors the 2 years you sign with them, the moment got it's last update 6 months into shipment

Why sign a contract with an Android phone when the phone makers, carriers, and Android itself will release a new phone 1-2 months later and forget you

(And the rant goes on)

Tablets go the same way...makers of Android devices NEVER stand behind it's product when things go bad (or if things don't go great) look at the Galaxy Tab...I won't lie, I used one and liked it, but numbers weren't going great and now just months later are releasing 2 more tablets that make the other look old (just months later) and the Xoom after "meh" opening, motorola is lowering shipping with plans to stop producing all together by June, this is the same tab that Moto spent millions (including a superbowl ad) and proclaimed it the iPad killer

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
I'm actually kinda sick of hearing iPhone or iPad killers. And when they arrive they don't live up to their names.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
There's talking tom cat, but agree that the comic look of talking carl is better. Fortunately it's more an audio app.

---

I looked, that is sad about the Samsung Moment. It doesn't even have a dedicated forum on XDA, meaning paths via root are limited. I'd say though that the primary reason it got shafted is because Sprint locked it down and CDMA presents significant hurdles before the community can run independently.

Please remember though that for many phones, the carrier's role, for good or ill is significant. The iPhone itself spawned from a partnership with AT&T, though few give that much credit and exclusivity was often seen as a negative. Current threads like tether fees show how that carrier's interests continue to impact the product today.

---

Similarly, CDMA & large screens represent significant challenges to battery life. Maybe that's why the iPhone is a late comer to the former and non-existent to the latter. At least for those that prioritize or are chained to these features, there is more available than say Winmo or Nokia. As well, independent efforts to overcome such hurdles aren't lost to platform patches. Today, committed EVO users having doubled/tripled their battery life and CPU responsiveness are able to skip a round of hardware upgrades saying; large screen, screaming 4G - got that.

---

I agree the challenge to becoming the "one" iPhone killer device is elusive to say the least. Is there any other "one" device that will sell as many units. Fortunately, in tech, a lifetime is measured in months.

And any way, an iOS "killer" is on deck if you take a moment to sift through the myriad of offerings to find something well suited to your particular needs.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm actually kinda sick of hearing iPhone or iPad killers. And when they arrive they don't live up to their names.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app
KINDA?

Have you felt anything short of sick on hearing such claims, since your jaded conversion ;D

---

In respect to Apple, my earlier use of "killer" is intended as a jab at you. Last I heard though, you've blocked me. I'm fine with that, kind of like the idea of paper darts at your back if it means replies from you remain as they say, above you (said with a snide english accent).

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
It's actually funny, jailbreakers are doing a ton of things stock on Droid at the expense of their battery and the first thing I do after root, is look for a kernel that pushes my battery life and responsiveness.

Fortunately, both ends enjoy playing with the details and from the screen shots thread, both seem to be succeeding with their respective goals.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
It's also funny how often I have to look closely at someone's phone to tell that it's an iPhone, nowadays. Between the bumpers, wraps and boxes that's entombed the thing and the mods on the screen, it's no longer obvious. I'm quite sure your vanilla fanboy is feeling a little closeted.

I loved the pouch for my N1 allowing me to go naked save for the clear screen film. I'm looking for a similar hammock for this DHD.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
We have way too many Android vs iPhone threads. I started reading this thread and it started out discussing how to put Android os on the iPhone. Now it's off in left field. Back on track please. I get bored easily and I've grown bored with my phone. This is the longest I've ever kept the same phone so I wanna change it up a Lil bit. I think it would be cool to have the choice of two operating systems. Anyone figure it out yet?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
To (L), I'm thinking I may have confused you with someone else as being a former Droid covert to iOS. If so my bad.

AllenConder

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
Apple invented the modern phone, mp3 player, and mobile computer

Apple invents it, takes the risk, stands behind it, and when it succeeds....HERE COMES ANDROID, ready to rip off and claim to kill it

What/a/joke

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Apple invented the modern phone, mp3 player, and mobile computer

Apple invents it, takes the risk, stands behind it, and when it succeeds....HERE COMES ANDROID, ready to rip off and claim to kill it

What/a/joke
To be fair, the same has been said about Apple's iPhone in 2007, since they hadn't made a mobile device before. In some way or another, technology always borrows from existing technology, improving, innovating and pushing it forward. I daresay without the competitive push from Android, Apple wouldn't have even provided its consumers with the features that currently exist on the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 now.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
I am always amused at what appears to be anger in people's posts as they yell at one another across the great wall that separates Apple from Android.

Is it so hard to believe that not everyone wants the same phone? iPhones are great devices. Similarily, many Android phones are great devices as well. Each serve many of the same functions/needs and each serve things that work for those that crave them over their competitors. I find many things to like on both iPhones and Android phones alike. I don't consider either one superior to the other...they are similar and they are different...no better and no less. I like Ford but I don't feel the need to thump my chest and argue with those that drive Chevrolets or another manufacturer. That is simply their choice and it works for them as mine works for me.

Oh, and by the way, I recently switched from an iPhone 3G to an Inspire. I still love iPhones and think they are still the benchmark to which other phones are compared but I wanted something different and decided to take the plunge. I have had treos, blackberries, iPhone and now a droid. Each and every one of them were great phones for my needs at the time I used them. No matter what phone you use I hope it is exactly the phone you wanted and needed while you use it.

Now to quote Rodney King, "can't we all just get a long?"

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I am always amused at what appears to be anger in people's posts as they yell at one another across the great wall that separates Apple from Android.

Is it so hard to believe that not everyone wants the same phone? iPhones are great devices. Similarily, many Android phones are great devices as well. Each serve many of the same functions/needs and each serve things that work for those that crave them over their competitors. I find many things to like on both iPhones and Android phones alike. I don't consider either one superior to the other...they are similar and they are different...no better and no less. I like Ford but I don't feel the need to thump my chest and argue with those that drive Chevrolets or another manufacturer. That is simply their choice and it works for them as mine works for me.

Oh, and by the way, I recently switched from an iPhone 3G to an Inspire. I still love iPhones and think they are still the benchmark to which other phones are compared but I wanted something different and decided to take the plunge. I have had treos, blackberries, iPhone and now a droid. Each and every one of them were great phones for my needs at the time I used them. No matter what phone you use I hope it is exactly the phone you wanted and needed while you use it.

+1, great post.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY

I completely agree. Myself, I enjoy the variety. There is no perfect phone.

I think with phones (or operating systems), some people tend to create their own walled garden. I don't have to look any further than my Twitter accounts for the various sites. When I look in on a particular account, there is all kinds of anti-[insert name of competing OS] tweets and thoughts, most of which are misguided.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The Brick still remains the King of Cell Phones....

Last edited by a moderator:

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
The Brick still remains the King of Cell Phones....

True, but I'm having a heck of a time finding any decent apps for mine :(

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Last edited by a moderator: