Switching from Dell to MacBook

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Roady

Aug 27, 2007
So my dell laptop seems like its nearing its last days. I'm thinking (mostly due to how much I love my iPhone) of finally making the switch to a mac. After using some friends' macbooks...I think this is the laptop I want. However I know the macbook is a couple of years old and was wondering if anybody knows when a new one is due to come out? I would hate to buy one (they're expensive!) only to have a new model come out a month later. If there is a new one coming out soon, what will make it better than the current one? I know that any answers would be speculation, but I would appreciate any insight nonetheless. Thanks!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So my dell laptop seems like its nearing its last days. I'm thinking (mostly due to how much I love my iPhone) of finally making the switch to a mac. After using some friends' macbooks...I think this is the laptop I want. However I know the macbook is a couple of years old and was wondering if anybody knows when a new one is due to come out? I would hate to buy one (they're expensive!) only to have a new model come out a month later. If there is a new one coming out soon, what will make it better than the current one? I know that any answers would be speculation, but I would appreciate any insight nonetheless. Thanks!
Hi, potential Mac user, welcome!

The Macbook has been upgraded a couple of times already. If I had to buy one, I'd get the black one. I've tried it twice, and it's solid and fast. There's no way to tell when Apple might upgrade them again or switch to a completely new line of laptops. Typically, it's always a fairly well kept secret. I think they've been too busy with iPhone and Leopard to be working hard on a new line. I think it's pretty safe to buy one soon and be fairly sure there will be nothing major coming out soon. Meanwhile, you may want to wait until they come loaded with Leopard (which should be by the end of October), so you don't have to spend an extra $129 to upgrade the System when it comes out. If something new came out, it wouldn't be until January. Apple announces its new line in January.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Glad you made the decision to switch to Macs.

Like everything you buy, there will always be a newer, better model made. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and buy the MacBookPro. It's really nice, and any updates, like security updates, new software, etc. can be downloaded to the Mac via Software Update. Any new OS that Apple puts out (Leopard) can be purchased from Apple and downloaded to your computer. So for the most part, things other than hardware on new Macs can be gotten on your Mac.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I have read strong rumors from digg.com links to typical Mac rumors sites that new MacBooks may be coming soon that are thinner and the brushed aluminum look of the new iMacs and perhaps some other upgrades to the chips etc. Sorry, don't have time to run down the links this morning.

But I also am in the market for one as my old iBook has seen its better days and rumors were strong enough to make me wait and see. I think the speculation was even perhaps coming with leopard or before Christmas

Here's one reference to it

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/21/slim-aluminum-macbooks-soon/

Slim Aluminum MacBooks Soon?
Friday September 21, 2007 08:53 AM EST
Posted by arn

9to5mac reports that Apple is readying MacBook updates in the near future which will see new enclosures.

The new enclosures have been seen in both Black and Silver aluminum variants and are "considerably slimmer" than the current MacBook and a bit slimmer than the current MacBook Pros. The enclosures are said to have a thinner border around the LCDs, and the keyboards resemble the new Bluetooth keyboard.

Cryptically, they claim that "there is something strange about the touchpad" but details are promised at a later date.

While they believe these represent the consumer MacBook revisions, they can't exclude that this may be the long rumored "thin" MacBook Pro. The MacBook was last updated on May 15, 2007.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I'm waiting to buy my next Mac until they update the MacBook. I have a MacBook now and it's great... but it could use a revamped keyboard and the white case kind of sucks for grime. I think the new ones will be a vast improvement over the current lot.

Just speculation though. Give it 6 months if you can wait.

i made the switch this year, buying a white macbook. it's the best thing i own (before the iPhone) and i'll never ever go back to windows.

this is not at all helpful, i'm sure, but in case you're even slightly hesitant: DO IT. just maybe wait for the next upgraded model if you're worried about that sorta thing.

Jul 2, 2007
Mt Brook, AL
Wait if you can

All the rumor sites point to an upgrade for the MacBook line at Mac World, at the latest. Unless you have to buy before January, I would wait. That being said, I LOVE my C2D BlackBook:cool: I replaced a much loved, and kind of missed, 12' PowerBook with the BlackBook and I am very happy. I recommend at least 2 Gb of RAM. They come with one, but two makes them fly. Since you have to share RAM with video, the more the merrier. By the after market RAM, you will save a ton. Kingston makes fully compatible RAM for Macs and I have had good experiences using it. Whatever you choose to do, welcome to the club! You can put one of the stickers that come with all new Macs on your car. Then all the other Mac users will smile and wave to you:cool: We are happy to have you join the club, and most Mac users will be happy to help you in any way they can. I have found when I have a question, all my Mac buddies are happy yo help me and if they don't have the answer, they most likely know someone who does. Enjoy.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Like the saying goes, "Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!"
But then again, if you miss the PC (some call it Piece of Crap), you could always install XP or Vista or Windows 2000 or DOS or whatever.....

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
On of the best reasons to make the switch that does not come up that much:

Go 84 days without re-booting a windows machine and see how it works out for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: