Switching from PC to Mac...need help!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

oliegirl

Jul 6, 2007
So I have decided to take the plunge and replace my current laptop with a macbook, however after looking at the website I'm really confused. My main questions are:

1. Macbook or MacbookPro...for a casual user is the upgrade worth it?

2. Office for Mac...will my current windows docs and spreadsheets be able to convert to the mac office format or will I lose everything? If it will convert, is it a difficult process?

3. iLife 08...has anyone used it? Is it worth the purchase?

Any information would be really appreciated...I'm new to Apple, the iPod and iPhone have converted me though...

Thanks guys!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
So I have decided to take the plunge and replace my current laptop with a macbook, however after looking at the website I'm really confused. My main questions are:

1. Macbook or MacbookPro...for a casual user is the upgrade worth it?

2. Office for Mac...will my current windows docs and spreadsheets be able to convert to the mac office format or will I lose everything? If it will convert, is it a difficult process?

3. iLife 08...has anyone used it? Is it worth the purchase?

Any information would be really appreciated...I'm new to Apple, the iPod and iPhone have converted me though...

Thanks guys!
In order of your questions:
  1. MacBook is perfectly fine for the casual user. More than enough horsepower. I would recommend you tack on an additional cost for memory. Adding memory will make a big difference.
  2. There is no converting or "mac" format. Just open your Office docs as you would on your PC. Office does not come standard on your mac.
  3. Haven't used it, but I'm sure it's a nice incremental upgrade. It comes free with all new macs.