Switching from PC to MacBook

jjqb08

Oct 13, 2007
I have been working off of a pc laptop with my iPhone, and have a macbook on the way...

...is there anything difficult about syncing the iPhone with my new macbook?

I remember the early generation iPods couldnt go between pc and Mac

any and all information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Difficult? No way! Syncing between the iPhone and the Mac is as seamless as it gets. You'll love your new Mac.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I too am ready to jump on the mac bandwagon. I have been a PC user for about 15 years, but after getting the iPhone I am becomming an Apple fan. Just deciding between the macbook and Pro.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I just got a MacBook Pro. I was originally toying with the idea of the MacBook Air, but like the extra ports and accessories already available for the Pro, many of which don't work with the Air. I have found it to be easily as good a PC as I have ever used. It is fast, reliable, and very well built. If you can afford the extra $$, go for the Pro.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I just got a MacBook Pro. I was originally toying with the idea of the MacBook Air, but like the extra ports and accessories already available for the Pro, many of which don't work with the Air. I have found it to be easily as good a PC as I have ever used. It is fast, reliable, and very well built. If you can afford the extra $$, go for the Pro.
That's the direction I am leaning. Also I have never had a laptop, and think a 13" screen would be too small. The 15" would be much better I think. Don't really want to spent the $$ for a 17".

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Just a head's up, but there are many strong rumor reports of the MBP being upgraded in the immediate future. There are some other threads on here with links to the rumors, sorry but i don't have them at my finger tips.

Here's one good one - this site projects when new models are likely to come out. Right now it lists MBP as a "don't buy" since they believe it is so close to new model with new chip and the larger trackpad of the Air coming.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

However, I also am getting very antsy as have been waiting months to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Pro

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I have the macbook and when I compare it to a windows pc it's basically like comparing the iPhone to windows mobile6. The interface is much more colorful, vibrant and visually appealing. Also so much more fun and user friendly.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Well, its been just about a week since me and my MB became such close friends. I have to say that I cant imagine why I never had one long before now?

I think it boils down to being afraid to change. Its like being a Palm user and going to WM means you've entered the dark side; so to speak.

Personally, I think the MB is phenomenal. I'm also getting a kick out of the fact that its not bloated like Windows is. Antivirus software~ Whats that?

Currently 160GB is plenty; but knowing me, I'll more than likely upgrade the HDD & add expand to the 4GB of memory.

I love this thing! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Well, its been just about a week since me and my MB became such close friends. I have to say that I cant imagine why I never had one long before now?

I think it boils down to being afraid to change. Its like being a Palm user and going to WM means you've entered the dark side; so to speak.

Personally, I think the MB is phenomenal. I'm also getting a kick out of the fact that its not bloated like Windows is. Antivirus software~ Whats that?

Currently 160GB is plenty; but knowing me, I'll more than likely upgrade the HDD & add expand to the 4GB of memory.

I love this thing! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Exactly. Who wants to deal with/pay for Antivirus software and constantly worry whether or not your being spyed on or worse, your computer becoming compromised. The built in protection has been just fine on my macbook for like a year and a half now.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
That's the direction I am leaning. Also I have never had a laptop, and think a 13" screen would be too small. The 15" would be much better I think. Don't really want to spent the $$ for a 17".
I thought at first that the 13" would be too small, but for what I do with it, turns out, the size isn't bad at all. If I need to see anything large, I'll just wait until I'm at my PC at home...23" screen (Samsung HDTV/Monitor).

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I too am ready to jump on the mac bandwagon. I have been a PC user for about 15 years, but after getting the iPhone I am becomming an Apple fan. Just deciding between the macbook and Pro.
80GB iPod then 8GB iPhone~ its what propelled me to want a Mac even more; so like you, I somewhat feel like a "fan!" :p

I thought briefly about the MBA, but the minuses were just too much for me. There is no way that "thinness" would make me sacrifice some things I consider basic. What got me the most though, 1 USB port? I mean seriously, the MB at least has 2; neither of which I am using at the moment, but when I'm ready, both ports are right there- I'm not moved by all the "extras" one would have to purchase. Sure the MBA is thin as can be, but how heavy will my laptop bag become with all the peripherals?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I thought at first that the 13" would be too small, but for what I do with it, turns out, the size isn't bad at all. If I need to see anything large, I'll just wait until I'm at my PC at home...23" screen (Samsung HDTV/Monitor).
Something to think about. I do like the black MB. I am going to Apple store today to look around.:laugh2:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Something to think about. I do like the black MB. I am going to Apple store today to look around.:laugh2:
I was kinda like you before i bought my 13" MacBook. I thought surely the 13" was too small, but I really like it. I bought the MacBook with 160gb hd and 2gb ram and there just wasn't enough hardware difference between that and the lower level MB Pro to make me want to spend the extra money. I basically would have been doing it for the bigger screen.

I usually upgrade once a year anyways and with the new MB Pro's that are rumored, I can see myself getting one of those come this time next year.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I was kinda like you before i bought my 13" MacBook. I thought surely the 13" was too small, but I really like it. I bought the MacBook with 160gb hd and 2gb ram and there just wasn't enough hardware difference between that and the lower level MB Pro to make me want to spend the extra money. I basically would have been doing it for the bigger screen.

I usually upgrade once a year anyways and with the new MB Pro's that are rumored, I can see myself getting one of those come this time next year.
So Agg, are you finding that the 13" screen is more than sufficient?

I've just added a USB aircard to my arsenal (for those times when WiFi just aint there). Im sitting in the rear of my sisters car typing this reply. I love this thing!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

I've just added a USB aircard to my arsenal (for those times when WiFi just aint there). Im sitting in the rear of my sisters car typing this reply. I love this thing!
I came from a 15.4" screen on my hp laptop and I don't miss it a bit. 13" is plenty for me. I will probably buy me a screen from the Apple store if I ever need a bigger display. Maybe if I ever work with any autocad files away from the office.

I never realized how big and clunky my hp was till I got my MacBook. Best computer I've ever purchased. I will probably go next week and get me a USB connect card from AT&T to use when I'm hopping between my different jobs. I sure hate that 5gb limit they have on their "unlimited" plan though.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I came from a 15.4" screen on my hp laptop and I don't miss it a bit. 13" is plenty for me. I will probably buy me a screen from the Apple store if I ever need a bigger display. Maybe if I ever work with any autocad files away from the office.

I never realized how big and clunky my hp was till I got my MacBook. Best computer I've ever purchased. I will probably go next week and get me a USB connect card from AT&T to use when I'm hopping between my different jobs. I sure hate that 5gb limit they have on their "unlimited" plan though.
I feel you. Tonight I was doing some things on my sister's Toshiba and I kept thinking, damn, this thing is huge. I couldnt tell her that thou, considering she just brought it sometime today.

I got my aircard through Sprint.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I feel you. Tonight I was doing some things on my sister's Toshiba and I kept thinking, damn, this thing is huge. I couldnt tell her that thou, considering she just brought it sometime today.

I got my aircard through Sprint.
the toshiba's aren't too bad. If i bought another non mac laptop it'd either be toshiba or Dell. Never an HP again, don't know what it is but those things are monstrous.

For those times when there is no WiFi, do you realize that it is extremely easy to share that aircards internet with your iPhone via your MacBook?

I do this all the time with my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. I go to preferences on the Mac and click on the sharing tab. Click on the internet button. Find your aircard listed in the "share my internet connection from" drop down box and select it. In the "To Computers Using" box, select the Airport option. Click on the Airport Options button and give your WiFi a name and password. In the channels dropdown, you may have to experiment to get your iPhone to work, mine is set to channel 10. Click ok.

Now, click on the start button and now enable airport on the laptop. Enable the WiFi on the iPhone and in a few seconds, your newly created network will appear. Tap it and you will need to enter your password. You will now be connected to your computers WiFi on your iPhone and your speed will be just as good as 3G because well, it is.

If you have any questions, I can help you! I have had this working perfectly all over the western U.S., even in the middle of the desert in Nevada. Enjoy!
:cool:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
For those times when there is no WiFi, do you realize that it is extremely easy to share that aircards internet with your iPhone via your MacBook?

I do this all the time with my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. I go to preferences on the Mac and click on the sharing tab. Click on the internet button. Find your aircard listed in the "share my internet connection from" drop down box and select it. In the "To Computers Using" box, select the Airport option. Click on the Airport Options button and give your WiFi a name and password. In the channels dropdown, you may have to experiment to get your iPhone to work, mine is set to channel 10. Click ok.

Now, click on the start button and now enable airport on the laptop. Enable the WiFi on the iPhone and in a few seconds, your newly created network will appear. Tap it and you will need to enter your password. You will now be connected to your computers WiFi on your iPhone and your speed will be just as good as 3G because well, it is.

If you have any questions, I can help you! I have had this working perfectly all over the western U.S., even in the middle of the desert in Nevada. Enjoy!
i never thought of that. I'm gonna have to try that! thanks for the tip!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I would try this if I still had my iPhone, but I sold it last week.