Switching from Retina iPad to the iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by iPhone Addict, Jan 2, 2013.

1. iPhone Addict

iPhone Addict New Member

I have a unopened iPad mini, and I have the iPad third generation with retina display. To anyone who has switched from a Retina iPad to a mini, how have you found it? Does the more compact and lighter design make up for a mediocre resolution?

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I had an iPad 3 and switched to the mini.. The 1st few days I did notice the lack of retina but have since adjusted just fine.

I don't miss the retina at all anymore but that's probably because I only use the mini now and my eyes have corrected.

I also had an iPad 2 and the mini does look crisper and cleaner than the resolution on the 2..

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes, the smaller form factor helps but the lower resolution is still a flaw to be corrected on the next gen (hopefully)

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I sold my iPad 3 to get an iPad mini. I'm very happy with the decision. Retina means a lot less to me than size, weight and ease of use.

5. iPhone Addict

iPhone Addict New Member

Is there any noticeable performance difference?

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not that I've noticed. However, the iPad 3 does have a faster processor, so the benchmarks are higher and apps will open a little faster etc.

7. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I picked up the Mini around the middle of Dec. with the intention of returning it it by Jan 7th if I didn't like it. I have the iPad3 and love it. I have old eyes and the retina display was very important to me. Well it is some where in my study and I am responding to this post on the Mini. The weight and size just make it far more convenient to use. The 3 seems like a brick after using the Mini.

8. iPhone Addict

iPhone Addict New Member

After using the ipad Mini for the day the the non retina display didn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would, no regrets on getting rid of my ipad 3

Sent using iCafe app

9. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

I bought a mini the first day it came out with the intention of selling my iPad 3. I still have both.

I can deal a bit with the the loss of the retina display but what got me was the small text size on the mini. There are many apps and websites that you can not zoom the text and the default size is too small for me.

However I think the mini makes a great ebook reader, especially with the Kindle App. The lite weight and good screen is great while reading a book in bed, on the couch etc.

So it has replaced my kindle and has become my main book reader, and I keep it on the bed side table.

The iPad 3 still is my main tablet and travels to work with me everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD