Switching from WiFi to EDGE at Apple Stores

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 27, 2007
I just visited my local Apple store in Long Island, NY.

I wanted to see how the iPhone works on the EDGE network instead of Apple's Wifi in the store.

So, I went to an iPhone that wasn't in use and did a little testing of my own.

Personally, I don't own an iPhone and have been debating on whether to buy one now, or wait for the 2nd generation iPhone rumored to come out in late 2007.

I have done a lot of research on the iPhone. The positives and negatives.

My main concern was AT&T's network (EDGE). I have heard it really sucks, but I wanted to see it in action.

So, the iPhones in the stores are all set to Wifi, so if you walk up to one, try to surf a few pages and sites, you are totally amazed!

However, you don't always get a wifi signal on the street or in a store (or wherever you go).

So I tested a few pages using Wifi and then switching to EDGE. Of course, Wifi is the best so that is no surprise. but how does it compare to EDGE

Here are my results:

www.yahoo.com - Surprisingly not bad. It loaded faster than I thought (under a minute)

www.cnn.com - Really slow. It might have to do with some of the graphics or ads that are on the cnn website. (it took about 3 minutes to fully download)

www.appleinsider.com - Pretty slow too. Not as long as CNN's site, but when compared to Wifi, it was at least a 1 minute difference in download time.

Seeing how this wasn't an AT&T store (where they can boost their signal strength *isn't that the urban legend? of cellphone stores having booster signals in their basement or back office?) I figure I was getting a true representation of having my iPhone in a real world setting.

After that, I proceeded to change as many iPhones in the store from Wifi to EDGE to give other potential customers what they should really expect!

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
After that, I proceeded to change as many iPhones in the store from Wifi to EDGE to give other potential customers what they should really expect!
I'm VERY seriously thinking of an iPhone purchase tomorrow at an Apple store. I've played with one VERY briefly at an AT&T store (2 minutes maybe). How do you turn off WiFi (I'm assuming somewhere in "Settings")?

Jul 27, 2007
I'm VERY seriously thinking of an iPhone purchase tomorrow at an Apple store. I've played with one VERY briefly at an AT&T store (2 minutes maybe). How do you turn off WiFi (I'm assuming somewhere in "Settings")?
Yeah, go to 'Settings' and like the second option down should be Wifi or something to that affect.

The first option is Airplane mode which I think automatically turns off Wifi.

After you're done, go back 'Home' and you should see the wireless symbol change to an 'E'.

Play around with it for awhile to really see if you want the phone.

Jul 27, 2007
Thanks! I'm curious more than anything. It won't be a deal breaker for me. I have Treo 700p now .... and spend MAYBE 15 minutes a month online with it.
Yeah, overall, I was quite surprised how 'fast' EDGE was all things considered from all the bad things I heard how slow it is.

I am still teetering on whether to buy it, but in the long run, the 'safe' policy is wait for the next generation of a new product to come out.

While I can't see Apple make any external changes to a beautiful product, I would wait until I see what Apple does with their internal applications and updates.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
While I can't see Apple make any external changes to a beautiful product, I would wait until I see what Apple does with their internal applications and updates.
I guess the $64,000 question is going to be if the current owners will enjoy all the updates and new internal applications

Thatguy

Jul 20, 2007
Thanks! I'm curious more than anything. It won't be a deal breaker for me. I have Treo 700p now .... and spend MAYBE 15 minutes a month online with it.
I didn't think I would spend too much time on the Internet in my iPhone either when I first got it, but I've found that I use it constantly, even though I rarely have access to wifi

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I did the same thing before I bought mine. In fact, one of the Apple folks was demoing it that way and even pointed out it was on Edge. I expected Edge to be dog slow based on what I had read. I was pleasantly surprised. I've had the phone for a little under a week now and don't have any complaints about Edge performance. In fact, I don't have any complaints at all. I got my Outlook calendar to sync fine. I find the volume to be on par with the Samsung i500. I enjoy having my music collection with me at all times (this is my first iPod). I love watching movies on it when I'm killing time waiting for my wife.

I really don't think a v2 will be out before the end of the year. That wouldn't help to inspire any loyalty for the early adopters. I expect a year minimum.

Jul 27, 2007
I did the same thing before I bought mine. In fact, one of the Apple folks was demoing it that way and even pointed out it was on Edge. I expected Edge to be dog slow based on what I had read. I was pleasantly surprised. I've had the phone for a little under a week now and don't have any complaints about Edge performance. In fact, I don't have any complaints at all. I got my Outlook calendar to sync fine. I find the volume to be on par with the Samsung i500. I enjoy having my music collection with me at all times (this is my first iPod). I love watching movies on it when I'm killing time waiting for my wife.

I really don't think a v2 will be out before the end of the year. That wouldn't help to inspire any loyalty for the early adopters. I expect a year minimum.
Yeah, I think wishing for a 2nd generation phone before the end of the year is wishful thinking, but if it's true the 2nd generation is going to be watered down version of the iPhone (phone/ipod/no internet), then I will probably be until 2008 until the 'real' 2nd generation iPhone (with internet browsing) will be introduced.

All in all, not bad since my current Verizon contract ends in March 2008. I am really waiting to see if the next gen iPhone will be 3G.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
just to chime in on edge speeds... I just completely loaded cnn.com in 1 minute 31 seconds. In my house, but near a window(don't know if that makes a diff). I only use edge on this side of the house because my wifi doesn't reach.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There seems to be a lot of complaining about the slow speed that Edge offers. Personally, I think it's all a matter of perspective.
AT&T's Edge is faster and more effectively implemented than anything else I've had on a cell phone. Of course, I haven't owned any other smart phones before the iPhone. So, while I would like Edge to be faster, it is sufficient - for me. I get email. I can look up web sites, although I may have to wait for them to load.
If you have to have lightning fast internet speeds while walking down the street, wait for 3G. Otherwise, enjoy wifi and tolerate Edge.
That's my 2¢.:cool: