switching networks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

slgynn29

Bronze
May 23, 2007
iam currently a verizon customer but switching to AT&T the day iPhone comes out and was wondering if i am going to be able to keep my old cell number from verizon and put it on a AT&T phone...is that possible?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Yes.

Make sure if you're still under contract, you agree to whatever your current contract stipulates (such as an early termination fee, and possibily—but not likely lately—a phone number "porting" charge).

For more info, see the FTC number portability FAQ.

slgynn29

Bronze
May 23, 2007
my phone number is part of the family share plan and is done in january so we were just going to pay the 9.99 per month and keep my phone active... but since i am switching networks is that not possible becasue when it is all said and done? would i be paying verizon for the iPhone bill? i am a bit confused here...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You can probably get the number on your At&t plan, but you'll have to get another number for the remainder of the contract on Verizon. Look to pay a port charge for changing the number with Verizon (and probably a charge from At&t as well).

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Most likely you are obligated to finish your contract (or make due with an early termination fee) before Verizon will give up the number. You could always forward your calls to the iPhone in the mean time.

Again, it all depends on the contract.

wubagel

May 22, 2007
I'm also currently on verizon, switching when the iPhone comes out...does anyone know what the termination fee is? It's bad enough to be paying 600 bucks for the phone. But I'll pretty much pay anything.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I'm also currently on verizon, switching when the iPhone comes out...does anyone know what the termination fee is? It's bad enough to be paying 600 bucks for the phone. But I'll pretty much pay anything.
$175. Right, ouch.

As the above comments note, you can keep you number even with a different carrier. Verizon will tell you if you must terminate your contract to do it. I'm almost certain you wouldn't be able to move your number to AT&T and just pay $9.99/month to keep the account "active."

-K

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
i thought there was a law that u could keep your existing phone number with no extra charge (it might be different for early termination)

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
We are talking about two separate issues:

1) Your phone number
2) Terminating your service to switch to another carrier.

1) Keeping your phone number and moving it to a new carrier of your choice, is free. Period. It only takes a matter of minutes for your new carrier to assign it to your new iPhone or whatever type of phone you get from them.

2) ETF is what it's called. Early Termination Fee.
This is what all carriers charge to terminate your contract. I would encourage you to go to the web site of your carrier and read the terms regarding ETF. Some carriers charge a flat fee of $xx.xx (the amount will be listed on the contract and their web site), and some carriers pro-rate the charge. Meaning if you have a 2 year contract and you have only 1 year remaining then they only charge you 1/2 the ETF fee.

Hopefully this clarifies it for you....:)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Snipped from the Verizon Terms and Conditions:

Your Rights to Change or End Your Service; Termination Fees; Phone Number Portability
? Except as explicitly permitted by this agreement, you're agreeing to maintain service with us for your minimum term. (Periods of suspension of service don't count towards fulfillment of your minimum term.) After that, you'll become a month–to–month customer under this agreement. AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE WILL APPLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO END YOUR SERVICE BEFORE BECOMING A MONTH–TO–MONTH CUSTOMER, OR IF WE TERMINATE IT EARLY FOR GOOD CAUSE. FOR SERVICE ACTIVATED PRIOR TO 11/16/06, THE EARLY TERMINATION FEE IS $175 PER WIRELESS PHONE NUMBER. FOR SERVICE ACTIVATED ON OR AFTER 11/16/06, OR FOR LINES OF SERVICE WITH MINIMUM TERMS EXTENDED ON OR AFTER 11/16/06, THE EARLY TERMINATION FEE IS $175, WHICH WILL BE REDUCED BY $5 FOR EACH FULL MONTH TOWARD YOUR MINIMUM TERM THAT YOU COMPLETE. (The Early Termination Fee applies only to the extent permitted by law. If you buy your wireless phone from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check to see if they charge a separate termination fee.) If you terminate your service as of the end of your minimum term, you won't be responsible for any remaining part of your monthly billing cycle. Otherwise, all terminations by you during a monthly billing cycle become effective on the last day of that billing cycle. You'll remain responsible for all fees and charges incurred until then and won't be entitled to any partial month credits or refunds. You may be able to take, or "port," your current wireless phone number to another service provider. If you request your new service provider to port a number from us, and we receive your request from that new service provider, we'll treat it as notice from you to terminate our service for that number upon successful completion of porting. After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number. You'll remain responsible for any Early Termination Fee, and for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other termination. If you're porting a phone number to us from another company, we may not be able to provide you some services, such as 911 location services, immediately.

wubagel

May 22, 2007
Just another reason I hate verizon and can't wait to get my iPhone with AT&T! The 5 dollars off a month thing is good, they should have had it all along, I don't qualify for it of course...175 dollars is absurd if you've been a verizon customer for several years.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
..175 dollars is absurd if you've been a verizon customer for several years.
I could not agree more.

This is one of the unfortunate downsides to the wireless mobile phone companies. To charge a good customer an early termination fee of $175 is unacceptable, and yet we are all in the same boat. Hopefully at some point this will change.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm glad it's Cingular/At&t just because of the quality of GSM. If it weren't At&t, I would have been glad for it to have been T-Mobile. I've used their service before (back when it was PowerTel and then VoiceStream) and it was excellent as well. GSM RAWKS

May 31, 2007
Just another reason I hate verizon and can't wait to get my iPhone with AT&T! The 5 dollars off a month thing is good, they should have had it all along, I don't qualify for it of course...175 dollars is absurd if you've been a verizon customer for several years.

No doubt! Same here... a long time Verizon customer. Any chance other carriers will be able to service iPhone users after release? I know Treo users were limitied to a couple of carriers when it was first released as well.

I have heard from some "in the businesss" that there are ways to get your carrier to drop your contract... at that point there is no ETF. I will see if I can find that info and post it at a later date. Watch out Verizon for loyal members to jump ship!

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Any chance other carriers will be able to service iPhone users after release?
I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. Cingular has an exclusivity deal with Apple.
Watch out Verizon for loyal members to jump ship!
I'm one! I just found a buyer for my Verizon plan. On 6/29, when his T-mobile contract expires, he's taking over mine. Perfect timing, too. :cool:

-K