Switching to EVO

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, after owning every iPhone since it's release I've decided to get the EVO instead of the iPhone 4. I really wanted to get the 4, but too many of my friends 4's are suffering from reception & dropped call issues. I've even noticed increased dropped calls on my Wife's & my 3GS's. After playing with a EVO over a weekend I just gotta have it. It's been a nice ride iPhone. Maybe I'll be back one day. But a new adventure awaits.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
got a friend at work who had an evo. he ranted and raved about how great it was, so much better than my iPhone. then returned it after having to reset it 20 times a day when it locked up when sending text messages.
no phone is perfect.
good luck

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Probably got a lemon. I used my Dad's EVO all weekend without any problems. On the flip side my coworker has a 4 that we put side by side with my 3GS & my 3GS was visibly faster launching every app we tried. I think he got a lemon.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Probably got a lemon. I used my Dad's EVO all weekend without any problems. On the flip side my coworker has a 4 that we put side by side with my 3GS & my 3GS was visibly faster launching every app we tried. I think he got a lemon.
Actually, from what I've been reading/hearing, your dad's EVO that works is the lemon.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
No need to get defensive. Like I said I've had an iPhone since iday 1 & have loved my iPhones. You'll find reports of bad phones everywhere if you look for it. I carefuly weighed the pros & cons for me & my Wife & just conclude that this time EVO suits our needs best. That is of course if we get a good set like my Dad's.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
The size of the EVO is too big for my taste. My GF had one for about 20 days and returned it for the iPhone 4. There just was a lot of problems it had and didn't operate very smooth it was fast when it was launching everything correctly and the customization features seemed endless. I think that the OS being so open is what the problem is.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The size of the EVO is too big for my taste. My GF had one for about 20 days and returned it for the iPhone 4. There just was a lot of problems it had and didn't operate very smooth it was fast when it was launching everything correctly and the customization features seemed endless. I think that the OS being so open is what the problem is.
My Wife & I really like the size. I guess it's personal preference, but the bigger screen is much easier to see with our eyes. I didn't run into any slowdown issues with my Dad's EVO, but I carefuly managed the apps running, which is something I don't mind doing. My Wife is really excited about the customization without having to JB, which is what we've done since day 1 with the iPhone.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
My Wife & I really like the size. I guess it's personal preference, but the bigger screen is much easier to see with our eyes. I didn't run into any slowdown issues with my Dad's EVO, but I carefuly managed the apps running, which is something I don't mind doing. My Wife is really excited about the customization without having to JB, which is what we've done since day 1 with the iPhone.
I had to sell my 3GS and go with a Droid Incredible because of reception issues with AT&T. As much as I like the iPhone I am loving my Incredible, especially for the customization. Don't let anyone make you feel bad. It's only a cell phone. I have an iPad for my apps, movies, etc.

Ps-I have several friends with Evo's and not one of them have had problems with their phone. They all love it. My husband actually wants one but most of our family are all on Verizon. So he's getting the Droid X.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had to sell my 3GS and go with a Droid Incredible because of reception issues with AT&T. As much as I like the iPhone I am loving my Incredible, especially for the customization. Don't let anyone make you feel bad. It's only a cell phone. I have an iPad for my apps, movies, etc.

Ps-I have several friends with Evo's and not one of them have had problems with their phone. They all love it. My husband actually wants one but most of our family are all on Verizon. So he's getting the Droid X.
One of the main reasons I love the iPhone is AT&T's simultaneous voice/data which I can't live without anymore. The EVO is the only phone/carrier combo that offers this. I would never have switched without it.

davesw

Bronze
Feb 7, 2010
Well, after owning every iPhone since it's release I've decided to get the EVO instead of the iPhone 4. I really wanted to get the 4, but too many of my friends 4's are suffering from reception & dropped call issues. I've even noticed increased dropped calls on my Wife's & my 3GS's. After playing with a EVO over a weekend I just gotta have it. It's been a nice ride iPhone. Maybe I'll be back one day. But a new adventure awaits.
I hope you enjoy having spyware on your new EVO.

Skyagent: potentially-rogue binary present on ALL HTC EVO 4G

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/skyagent-potentially-rogue-binary-present-on-all-htc-evo-4g.58702/

Last edited by a moderator:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I returned my EVO. The UI just feels unfinished, the browsing is lousy, and it spontaneously rebooted from time to time. Big, beautiful screen, but that was about it for me. My opinion, though.

Don't forget that this is an iPhone forum. If you want to see defensive, go into just about any Android forum and type the word "iPhone." The results can be quite entertaining. You'll never see the word "fanboy" appear so quickly and so many times.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I returned my EVO. The UI just feels unfinished, the browsing is lousy, and it spontaneously rebooted from time to time. Big, beautiful screen, but that was about it for me. My opinion, though.

Don't forget that this is an iPhone forum. If you want to see defensive, go into just about any Android forum and type the word "iPhone." The results can be quite entertaining. You'll never see the word "fanboy" appear so quickly and so many times.
Yeah, I totally agree with you on the iPhone forum point. I don't know what I was thinking, maybe trying to see what everyones opinions on my wanting to switch were, and I got them.

Still, I've got to try the EVO out for myself as an everyday device to see if what I'm doing is the right move. Atleast Sprint gives you 30 days.