Switching to T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GP1138, Dec 21, 2007.

1. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

So, I get a TON of dropped calls with AT&T... it seems to be in certain areas, and quite a few that I drive constantly. I was thinking of doing a small T-Mobile trial, just doing a pay-as-you-go trial for awhile and getting a plan if I was pleased with the results.

I pretty much understand the process of unlocking, and I've already jailbroken and everything, so all I really need to do is make sure all the services I use (maps, and internet, so EDGE) work with T-Mobile.

Those of you that use T-Mobile exclusively, especially in Ohio: do you find fewer dropped calls on T-Mobile's network? Is their coverage comparable? How about data plans, does the T-Zone plan work as unlimited on the iPhone, and can I set up any old calling plan on T-Mobile and have it work headache-free with the iPhone?

2. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

NOBODY has done this? I find that hard to believe.

3. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member
    Bronze

Gp I have. I switched over to tmo about 2 months ago from verizon. If u take a look at my sig you'll see my phone history. The iPhone is the best out as far as signal quality especially with tmo. It pulls in a signal like no other phone especially once u upgrade to 1.1.2 firmware. The 5.99 Internet does everything the 19.99 plan does minus the search feature in the youtube program. Other than that everything on the phone works extremely well with tmo and funny story right here in chicago yesterday I was at my friends house who is an AT&T iPhone user and guess who had the better signal the whole time I was there! Find out from others in your area who have tmo phones how their coverage is and go from there. If they're not complaining then remember you won't either. Oh by the way, I type 80% of my posts on this site from my iPhone to give u an idea and I do this just about everywhere I go u should see people who ouu and ahh just when I take it out and start typing

4. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

I don't live in Ohio but I'm on T-Mobile in Utah and I love it. I got plenty of dropped calls with AT&T but with T-Mobile I've had none. EDGE is even faster on T-Zones and it only costs $6 a month. Unlimited texting is only $15. You can also get 600 minutes for the same price AT&T charges for 450. Highly recommended.

5. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

Actually went out and purchased a T-Mobile prepaid SIM today, and went through about three AnySIM tries before it actually went through, and so far I'm very pleased. Sitting at two bars, it still makes the call without the annoying "CALL FAILED" loops I'm used to. I'm going to drive through the problem areas I've had today, and see if I get as many dropped calls and misses.

Only thing that'll suck now is firing AT&T. I'm not looking forward to hearing how much I'll have to fork over to get out of my contract. :(

6. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

Apparently Visual Voicemail is dead no matter what SIM I have inserted.. any way to fix this? I know it probably does not work with T-Mobile at all, but it'd be nice to have it on AT&T.

7. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

Also, apparently I can't reboot without it losing the unlock.. any reason for this?

8. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member
    Bronze

Gp...EXACTLY what steps did you take to unlock the phone? And go to settings, general, about and read to me what you see under: version, IMEI, and modem firmware...Also let us know what version firmware you either had before and after if you upgraded or if you didn't upgrade, what firmware you're using now.

9. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

I had the 4.01.13_G - Version is 1.1.1 - I simply used AnySIM, basically just that, I had already jailbroken the phone a long time ago, I just decided to go to T-Mobile today. After about the third time running AnySIM (with no SIM in the phone) it worked and I was able to make calls with the T-Mobile SIM. Then I needed to reboot the phone and it had no reception. I ran OneSIM and put my AT&T SIM back in and it ran fine.

10. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

So, I'm going to follow the 1.1.2 updating guide, since that appears to have made a lot of recurring problems better for some.

frack ME IN THE GOAT ASS.... 160MB?

11. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member
    Bronze

GP if you're really concerned, I would suggest you read the following tutorial and follow that to get your phone back up and running with a permanent unlock.

http://iPhone.ranova.org/111.shtml

Read the info on the bricked 1.1.1 and follow that guide. BAsically, you're downgrading to 1.0.2, virginizing and then upgrading back to 1.1.1. But don't skip a step or reinvent the wheel.

When 1.1.1 comes back up, jailbreak it, then finally do the unlock with the correct version of anysim for the win.

12. g35driver

g35driver New Member
    Bronze

Same, I am in Utah with Tmobile and I have no complaints. I just use Wifi and I am on a family plan with unlimited texting.

13. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

OK, new problem. I got the prepaid T-Mobile SIM to work in my phone.. I could make calls, etc. Problem is, I had to reboot the phone and the SIM stops working. Do I run OneSIM and then AnySIM again, and how do I make this permanent?

14. ehsan

ehsan New Member

GP. I exactly know where you at. basically what you are having is getting no service once phone is reset or shut down. If you run "anysim" again it works and then after reset it gets no service. Right?

If yes then what you have to do is reset to factory setting (restore firmware) and then unlock it with the new SIM you intend to use (basically a jailbreak with new SIM).

So you can try site: www.iPhone.unlock.no

1. First run "onesim" to get back to reflashing the modem firmware to factory default.
    2. Restore firmware 1.1.1 by downloading and following instructions on site. Once done jailbreak with following method on site and then run "anysim" again.

That will do it.

15. GP1138

GP1138 New Member
    Bronze

Ehsan, the only problem with that is I just restored the phone the other day. I basically got the phone jailbroken the other night, and ran AnySIM both with and without a T-Mobile SIM inside, and both times it gets no signal after a reset.

I appreciate the reply very much, let me know if you have any more insight.

16. ehsan

ehsan New Member

Do it again but this time update firmware with tmobile sim inside. Once firmware installed and you get error that incorrect sim is entered, jailbreak and then install Anysim again and reset.
    Good luck.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Here is what I am thinking.

My son used 9 GB over spring break (hotel's WIFI was broke)
    My bad I took the unlimited off.
    I called AT&T and tried to get it back for my sons line :(
    Any way I had no luck. AT&T so was nice enough to give me a credit for the next 3 month what is more then I really could ask for. I really do like them for their customer service.
    Nevertheless son has many lengthy Dr. appointments he is taking his phone to and summer break is coming soon. We will be traveling and using much more data. We are on a 10GB plan.
    So rather then up the plan for $40 more I may cancel sons line and go down on the AT&T plan
    I check out the coverage and go from there. I figured I can always add son back to AT&T if the service isn't any good since there is no contract.
    If we like what we see me may all end up at T-Mobile what would save us a bundle of $
    But I really rather wait and see when the next iPhone is released to see how T-Mobile will handle that.

T-Mobile has LTE available here (there was no map available when I went to the store)
    I am in Baltimore/DC area

Anyone else switching or thinking about it?
    Anyone using T-Mobil now having LTE ?

18. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

So I got myself a prepaid T-Mobile card
    I gotta say Edge is fast ........
    Yeah I got Edge at my house :( and mostly around here
    Some 4G here and there. The service is fast compare to AT&T when I get it.
    I have had a short LTE flash the other day driving.
    To bad I won't switch as of yet because of poor coverage perhaps when the merger with Metro goes through ?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

T-Mobile's 2G network is faster than AT&T's HSPA+ and LTE in DC and MD? That doesn't make sense. T-Mobile's Edge network should be turtle slow compared to them. AT&T was pretty fast when I've vacationed there. I'd be curious to see comparison screenshots.

20. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I'm in the NYC area and am in the process of switching from my AT&T mobile share plan to T-Mobile. For me the service and data speeds are comparable. T-Mobile's new plans really save you a bucket load of cash.

I had 5 smartphones on a 10gb mobile share plan with AT&T (funny thing, with 5 phones the 10gb costs the same as the 4gb plan). The cost per month without taxes was $270.00 (5 phones *30 =$150.00 + $120.00 for data = $270.00).

The same plan on T-Mobile was $160.00:
    Phone 1 = $50.00
    Phone 2 = $30.00
    Phones 3-5 =$30.00 ($10.00 *3)
    2gb data for 5 phones = $50.00 ($10 *5)

So right off the bat I saved $110.00. Then I realized that the only one who used near 2gb of data was me. Therefore I kept the other 4 lines at the 500mb limit and saved another $40.00, so my total is $120.00 per month. If the other lines happen to exceed 500mb, there is no charge, they are just reduced to Edge speed. Additionally, the activation fee on T-Mobile was only $10.00, vs $36.00 on AT&T.

So all in all I'll save $150.00 per month.....that's a big savings, especially since there are no contracts. I bought my wife the new iPhone 5 and brought over the other 3 iPhones. My family does not upgrade their phones very often, only me and I have the Nexus 4.

If T-mobile has good service where you are located, you can save money with there new plans, especially if you are on AT&T and can bring over your phones.

~S