Swype for iPhone

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
One of the reason I love Android is the swype keyboard. Is there anyway to get swype for iPhone?

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
There are tons of rumors and finger pointing on this like "Swype went to Apple before Android and Apple wanted exclusivity" or that its an API issue, etc...

Bottom line is that there is no Swype for iPhone right now.

kyleplusitunes

Silver
Jun 25, 2010
Swype is also in beta, doubt Apple is going to put anything beta on their phone, Android allows it, but everything about google is a perpetual bets

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Swype came stock on my Samsung Fascinate and I was so use to it that I still find myself trying to swype on my iPhone. I loved it and miss it a lot, there use to be a jailbreak app that allowed you to do it but I don't think it's available anymore, at least I can't find it. I wish there could be an app for that.

Coney718

Nov 11, 2010
I know im probably in the minority on this but I didn't like Swype at all. I had it on my Evo and tried to get used to it but couldnt. I type much faster the old fashion way. I think its a gimmick IMO

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
I know im probably in the minority on this but I didn't like Swype at all. I had it on my Evo and tried to get used to it but couldnt. I type much faster the old fashion way. I think its a gimmick IMO
I have used Swype before but honestly I can type faster with fewer mistakes using the iPhone keypad.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I loved swype on my EVO, and thats the only thing I miss.

They did have a similar app in the app store for a bit ( can't remember the name now) but Apple will not let you change input methods for text.
So for example, if you wanted to use "swype" you had to open the app, type in your message and then copy/paste into the native iPhone messaging app...

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
Shapewriter Pro. The only thing is, as mentioned, it does not work with the native keyboard. You would have to launch the app -> type up your text -> copy it ->close app-> launch messagin -> paste text -> send.

In the end, any edge you would get from typing faster would be cancelled out by how many steps you would need to take to send a text.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Shapewriter Pro. The only thing is, as mentioned, it does not work with the native keyboard. You would have to launch the app -> type up your text -> copy it ->close app-> launch messagin -> paste text -> send.

In the end, any edge you would get from typing faster would be cancelled out by how many steps you would need to take to send a text.
Discussion of pirated apps is forbidden on this forum.

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
Correction then: Shapewriter was available in the app store. I still ahve the original one I had downloaded legally.

mookster

Aug 4, 2010
Swype rocks. Right now I've got a Dinc and I'm locked into a contract till next year with big red. Hopefully by then either swype or something comparable will be out for the iPhone.