Symlinks and memory space.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Well, with the help of 666 I created some symlinks from /var/root/..... to var/mobile/..... to get summerboard and customize themes, NES games, etc. from installer to properly display. But then i thought, why not just directly symlink. So i deleted everything in /var/root/Library and then symlinked /var/root to /var/mobile and rebooted. The "connect to iTunes" screen came up, so i did and it activated. And it worked perfectly.

My question, however, is:

Will this direct linking create two of every file i download and double the amount of space taken up by third party software?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Naw, that symlink is just like a detour sign for your data. You're not actually doubling up.

The only reason I didn't blanket the entire folder like you did was to keep things on the safe side in case I had to track down any problems later on for some reason. I'm just turning on what I need basically.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Well, with the help of 666 I created some symlinks from /var/root/..... to var/mobile/..... to get summerboard and customize themes, NES games, etc. from installer to properly display. But then i thought, why not just directly symlink. So i deleted everything in /var/root/Library and then symlinked /var/root to /var/mobile and rebooted. The "connect to iTunes" screen came up, so i did and it activated. And it worked perfectly.

My question, however, is:

Will this direct linking create two of every file i download and double the amount of space taken up by third party software?
can you tell me how to create a symlink so i can get some of my various programs to work also... please step by step....thanks..