Sync bookmarks for iPhone from firefox?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rollerbones

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Ohio
I use firefox on my Macbook Pro and I am sure the iPhone will sync bookmarks from the Safari browser or your .mac account...So is there a way to auto sync your firefox bookmarks over to Safari or .Mac?

I am trying to get everything cleaned up so when this phone comes I can be ready...I have already went into my iTunes library and cleaned all the names up with iEatBrains program and then I have all the covers added... Now I am working on bookmarks.

Thanks
T

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Maybe the new iTunes will have a feature that will allow you to import favorites from your I.E or FF browser.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I agree with ColsTiger that I probably don't want every one of my bookmarks on the iPhone. I use Firefox as my primary browser on my MBP. I plan on adding only the bookmarks I want on the iPhone to Safari. That way the iPhone will sync with Safari and those bookmarks will also be backed up on my .Mac account.

If you do want all of your bookmarks and the iPhone will not sync with Firefox, you can always export your bookmarks and then import them into Safari. I know this isn't an ideal solution since the bookmarks in Safari will not keep up to date with the ones in Firefox, but it gives you a starting point.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Bookmarks are saved in the same .htlm file format so I don't see any reason why you couldnt use your firefox ones. Worst care you have to export them from firefox, then do a import on Safari.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Take a look at this...

Syncing FireFox Bookmarks

Basically .mac uses webdav for syncing... which opens up a bunch of possibilities. The extension referenced in the article also works on Windows so you could sync boomarks from a Windows machine (eg at work) as well. I haven't tried this yet... but it looks like an interesting solution. Even if you don't have dot mac it's like the poor man's bookmarking sync (since you could setup a webserver pretty easily).

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
Take a look at this...

Syncing FireFox Bookmarks

Basically .mac uses webdav for syncing... which opens up a bunch of possibilities. The extension referenced in the article also works on Windows so you could sync boomarks from a Windows machine (eg at work) as well. I haven't tried this yet... but it looks like an interesting solution. Even if you don't have dot mac it's like the poor man's bookmarking sync (since you could setup a webserver pretty easily).
He is correct but if iPhone only works with Safari (which we do not know yet) you will need to go to File/Import Bookmarks in Safari and import them. Being an Apple technician and knowing how they make their stuff I am pretty sure that you will be able to sync with just about any popular browser. I hope this helps.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
He is correct but if iPhone only works with Safari (which we do not know yet) you will need to go to File/Import Bookmarks in Safari and import them. Being an Apple technician and knowing how they make their stuff I am pretty sure that you will be able to sync with just about any popular browser. I hope this helps.
That's good news especially for this PC user.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
That's good news especially for this PC user.
LOL! Sorry but it was a Mac question. I am a tech for a college where I do both Peecees and Macs. I have no idea why anyone would still be using a PC. I saw Vista once in a day long demo. Its basically a glitchy OS X that gets viruses and spyware.

Oct 28, 2008
I just synched my bookmarks with Safari on XP. Safari XP transferred the bookmarks fine onto my iPhone, but in the process, it deleted ALL my iPhone bookmarks!

zonex

Apr 4, 2010
This is easy, just follow: Sync iPhone Bookmwarks with Firefox, chrome
I use firefox on my Macbook Pro and I am sure the iPhone will sync bookmarks from the Safari browser or your .mac account...So is there a way to auto sync your firefox bookmarks over to Safari or .Mac?

I am trying to get everything cleaned up so when this phone comes I can be ready...I have already went into my iTunes library and cleaned all the names up with iEatBrains program and then I have all the covers added... Now I am working on bookmarks.

Thanks
T

Oct 28, 2008
zonex. thanks for the help and the very detailed step by step instructions you have provided to ensure your bookmarks won't be deleted on the iPhone. Kudos for providing OS specific instructions. Great first post!