Sync contacts from iPhone to Outlook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoubleD, Jun 23, 2008.

1. DoubleD

DoubleD Member
    Bronze

Hey guys I had a HD crap out on me and I lost all my Outlook contacts that were syncing to my phone. Is there a way to get the contacts on the phone to sync with Outlook 2007? I see an option to "put new contacts created on thie iPhone in to group (drop box) but it is grayed out on iTunes. Any help is appreciated as I'd really hate to have to retype all those contacts....
    Thanks
    Derek

2. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

The only way I know is there is some software out there that will take it off the phone. Other than that, I don't think there is a way. Do a google to find the software. I know it is out there, but don't know any specific one.

3. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

no. My outlook 2007 synchs fine. The trick is to go into iTunes and check the option that will synchs to/from new enteries entered either on the phone OR in outlook. It can be done unless I'm misunderstanding you.

4. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

Well $%*#. I am reading outlook and thinking music. Disregard me and the man behind the curtain.
    OJ should be right.

5. GADeputy

GADeputy Member
    Bronze

Just to make sure it does work I deleted ALL of my contacts in Outlook. Then I did a sync in iTunes with my iPhone and ALL of the contacts transfered back onto my computer. Works great.
    In iTunes just go into the "Info" tab and make sure you have a check mark on "Sync contacts with Outlook" and also select "All Contacts". I have nothing else selected.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yes, during your first sync with iTunes, it will give you an option to "merge" your contacts between your iPhone and computer.

7. DoubleD

DoubleD Member
    Bronze

many thanks guys! It worked like a charm! I was unsure about doing this earlier before I posted the question thinking that iTunes was going to sync my empty contacts to my phone.

8. marklynn70

marklynn70 New Member
    Bronze

Outlook will take all of your contacts from your iPhone, I have done this once already when I switched laptops.

9. justahsquirrel

Silver

this is good news for me, never knew that....but i hate outlook...any other programs that work?

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

windows mail... outlook express... that's about it.

11. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

i hate outlook too
    i use yahoo contacts

and yes, when i got my iPhone i actually typed all of them into my yahoo account since i only had them on the sim of my other phone

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

i wish i had been THAT smart. I just entered them all onto my iPhone.

i didn't mind at the time... i had an orgasm every time i touched it for about 3 days.

13. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

lol same here

but i was prepared because my friend had one and i knew i was getting one like 3 weeks before hand (iPhone that is...not orgasm lmao)

14. justahsquirrel

Silver

so wait...you guys are saying that if my outlook is empty with contacts I can use iTunes to sync contacts with my iPhone? and it wont make my iPhone empty? cause I'd hate to loose all my numbers that are just backed up with iTunes......

15. DoubleD

DoubleD Member
    Bronze

yep iTunes will sync the contacts on the phone with your empty contacts in outlook on the pc. Just follow the instructions on page one and "merge" the contacts when asked if thats what you want to do. Basically it copies the contacts on the phone into the contacts in Outlook.
    Works perfectly!

16. hinghanghong

hinghanghong New Member

Hi,
    My computer crashed and I had to reformat the entire system. I've lost all data, including previous iTunes library.
    I'm scared to plug in my iPhone 3G into iTunes, because I'm unsure what it might do to it!
    Here are my problem questions that I'd appreciate any help on:
    - Transferring all contacts from iPhone to the computer (outlook or windows address, anything is fine...so long as I have a back-up on my PC)
    - I'm confused about the term sync. Does it work both ways in transferring / backing up data when you plug in the iPhone?
    - When I do manage to transfer contacts from iPhone to PC, what happens to the rest of my iPhone data in the process - photos, music, videos, apps?

Please help!
    Thanks!

17. JanL

JanL Member
    Bronze

I use Yahoo and would like to sync contacts and calendar on both my iPhone and iPad. I needed this to be done wireless so will update without wired sync. Can this be done? Is so how? Thanks so much new to iPad and trying to get everything thing set up.

18. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I switched to mobileme and deleted my outlook contacts. I downloaded the mobileme addon for windows. I am unable to get my contacts back in outlook for some time now. This does not work. It basically feels like it is ignoring the sync. I think....back when I had it working....that I once somehow picked the outlook to sync to. I just don't see where to do that anymore.

19. hifly

hifly New Member

Which way does iTunes 11 sync with Outlook? I have the following situation: iPhone contains 360 contacts 30 or so of which were added over the course of last six months. I regularly sync to my home PC so Outlook there is up to date. The last time I synced to my work PC has been over a year.

Question: what will happen if/when I sync my iPhone with Outlook on my work PC?

20. Yann Stevenson

Yann Stevenson New Member

iTunes syncs both ways. The changes made last (regardless whether on the PC or on the iPhone) will be pushed to both the iPhone and the PC. So if you added 30 contacts to your iPhone over the past six months, these 30 contacts should be added to your Outlook on your work PC.