sync Outlook at work; songs at home?

Jan 16, 2008
NY
I just got my iPhone and was planning to sync with iTunes at home for music/videos/pics and sync with iTunes at work for Outlook contacts and appointments. I did the music at home first and come to work and did the contacts.

iTunes at work informed me that my iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes. I figured that since I had unchecked syncing with songs and only checked syncing with Outlook that it would leave the songs already present on the iPhone alone. Alas, no: the sync wiped off everything except the contacts and scheduler data that it was syncing.

So how do I accomplish my dual mission of syncing with iTunes at home for music/videos/pics and syncing with iTunes (or any other conduit) at work for Outlook contacts and appointments?

Any help from those that have successfuly done this will be appreciated.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It is not possible, but here is what some else did:

OK- after thinking about it for a minute (and with the knowledge that I had a Time Machine backup), I did the following:
1- quit iTunes on the PowerBook
2- deleted the iTunes Library file from the PowerBook
3- copied the Library file from the iTunes folder of the iMac to the iTunes folder of the PowerBook
4- opened iTunes on the PB, got the message that it couldn't find it's Library, pointed iTunes to the file I had just copied.
5- Since the iMac has a much larger library than the PB, there were a lot of files in the library that were not actually on the PB. I double-clicked on one and got the "can't find file, do you want to manually find it" message. Said "no"
6- I selected the entire contents of the library, and hit "delete". Got the message asking me if I wanted to move the files to the trash. I said "No". Result: a completely empty library, but with all my playlists from the iMac still in the left column.
7- went to the iTunes folder on the PB, and dragged all the music back to the Library. Once it was all copied over checked to see that the smart playlists were populated (they were)
8- connected iPhone... it now allows me to use the PB to manually manage the music in the same way as I use the iMac.

I'll have to clean up the PB library (delete some playlists that don't have any music in them and so on), but this allows me to do what I want to do- If I'm traveling with the PB and want to add or delete music from the iPhone without completely wiping it I can do it. This is something that not everyone would want to do- I can see issues with losing data about number of times the song has been played recently and so on, but that's not a concern of mine. I don't rate my music (If I didn't like it, it wouldn't be on my computer). I'm happy.
I copied ONLY the library file (NOT the .xml file). I think we've figured out why it worked for the two of us for whom it DID work- we inadvertently tricked our iPhones into thinking that two computers were in fact the SAME computer. Of course, now that we know how it was done, we can do it intentionally.
"the only difference in the recipe you gave is that after i copied the iTunes music library file from my imac to my windows laptop, i gave it the .itl suffix."

Since I was working with two Macs, the suffix wasn't an issue, but I guess the .itl suffix is something the Windows machine would need. I'm glad it worked for you.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I just got my iPhone and was planning to sync with iTunes at home for music/videos/pics and sync with iTunes at work for Outlook contacts and appointments. I did the music at home first and come to work and did the contacts.

iTunes at work informed me that my iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes. I figured that since I had unchecked syncing with songs and only checked syncing with Outlook that it would leave the songs already present on the iPhone alone. Alas, no: the sync wiped off everything except the contacts and scheduler data that it was syncing.

So how do I accomplish my dual mission of syncing with iTunes at home for music/videos/pics and syncing with iTunes (or any other conduit) at work for Outlook contacts and appointments?

Any help from those that have successfuly done this will be appreciated.
This is exactly what I do and it works perfectly. You have your iTunes set to manually sync, not automatically?

Jan 16, 2008
NY
This is exactly what I do and it works perfectly. You have your iTunes set to manually sync, not automatically?

I had it set to automatic, but I had unchecked all types other than Outlook (contacts/schedule).

petalmom, do you have both home/work set to manual? If so, does that mean you can selectively sync parts: contacts at work and music at home? If you would, please, describe your process in both places.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I had it set to automatic, but I had unchecked all types other than Outlook (contacts/schedule).

petalmom, do you have both home/work set to manual? If so, does that mean you can selectively sync parts: contacts at work and music at home? If you would, please, describe your process in both places.
Yes that's correct, they are both set to manual. I sync my calendar and photos from my work PC and my music on my home PC.

Jan 16, 2008
NY
half way there

Yes that's correct, they are both set to manual. I sync my calendar and photos from my work PC and my music on my home PC.

I'm half way there: I manually added my tunes to the iPhone and the contacts/calendar from work did not get wiped out. Tomorrow I'll try to "sync" contacts at work and hopefully the tunes will stay.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It should work fine. Be sure that you have the correct calendar selected on the info tab and nothing checked in the other tabs.

I only sync'd my contacts from my work (Outlook) address books on the very first time I sync'd. Since then I've manually added personal contacts. I'm thinking that if you sync your work contacts it might wipe out any manually added contacts. I sync my calendar daily but never my contacts so I can't confirm either way, just keep it in mind.

Drop back tomorrow and let me know how it works out. Good luck!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It should work fine. Be sure that you have the correct calendar selected on the info tab and nothing checked in the other tabs.

I only sync'd my contacts from my work (Outlook) address books on the very first time I sync'd. Since then I've manually added personal contacts. I'm thinking that if you sync your work contacts it might wipe out any manually added contacts. I sync my calendar daily but never my contacts so I can't confirm either way, just keep it in mind.
You can sync contacts just fine on another PC, I've done it since July. And it's a true sync so any contacts added on the iPhone, or changes to existing contacts, are of course propagated to the computer. Ditto for calendar.

I also didn't didn't need to leave it on manual sync, only to set it up initially (otherwise it would start syncing before I could make the proper changes). That said I actually prefer manual syncing (usually).

--
Mike

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You can sync contacts just fine on another PC, I've done it since July. And it's a true sync so any contacts added on the iPhone, or changes to existing contacts, are of course propagated to the computer. Ditto for calendar.

I also didn't didn't need to leave it on manual sync, only to set it up initially (otherwise it would start syncing before I could make the proper changes). That said I actually prefer manual syncing (usually).

--
Mike
Thanks! That's good to know! I knew it worked that way for my calendar entries but was not 100% sure about contacts (although it makes sense!) I just didn't want to mess the OP up :)

I'm glad there are people smarter than me around here! :)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Thanks! That's good to know! I knew it worked that way for my calendar entries but was not 100% sure about contacts (although it makes sense!) I just didn't want to mess the OP up :)

I'm glad there are people smarter than me around here! :)
Just make sure you have unchecked the calendar and contacts at home and unchecked the music and such at work. I've been doing it since I got my iPhone and it works great. I keep my calendar in outlook at work and my music is all managed from home.

Jan 16, 2008
NY
It didn't work!

Drop back tomorrow and let me know how it works out. Good luck!

I just got to work and the sync totally wiped the iPhone except for contacts/calendar.

I checked the "manually manage music and videos" button and verified that the only items to be syncd were contacts and calendar. I got the message again about how an iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes; I agreed to "erase and sync". When I was at home last night I also agreed to "erase and sync" but the contacts and calendars remained, hence my lack of hesitation today.

I have a theory: when I unchecked "manually manage music and videos", it caused the "sync music" check box to get checked under the music tab, despite my earlier unchecking. Since my local iTunes has no music, it wiped everything. Grrf.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I do something very similar in that I sync music, movies, and photos from my home laptop, and then my calendar and contacts from my work PC. On both, I have all three boxes under the Summary iPhone page of iTunes Options area unchecked on both machines, and then selectively choose what playlists and such to sync on each tab (Info for Contacts and Calendar, selected Ringtones, selected playlists for Music, Photos, Podcasts, Videos) with the caveat that you cannot sync any category on BOTH, it is either one or the other. I also have to click on the Sync button to start a sync on each PC.

Uncheck the Manually manage music and videos box as that is really only designed to sync selected songs and videos and not music playlists.

This has worked for me since iDay.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I just got to work and the sync totally wiped the iPhone except for contacts/calendar.

I checked the "manually manage music and videos" button and verified that the only items to be syncd were contacts and calendar. I got the message again about how an iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes; I agreed to "erase and sync". When I was at home last night I also agreed to "erase and sync" but the contacts and calendars remained, hence my lack of hesitation today.

I have a theory: when I unchecked "manually manage music and videos", it caused the "sync music" check box to get checked under the music tab, despite my earlier unchecking. Since my local iTunes has no music, it wiped everything. Grrf.

Pooey. You'll get it right, I'm sure of it!

Jan 16, 2008
NY
thanks for the vote of confidence

Pooey. You'll get it right, I'm sure of it!
Yep, after carefuly checking and rechecking that no checkboxes where checked, everything worked fine.

Man I love this thing: I keep discovering little things that makes the engineer in me want to go to Cupertino to cheer for the designers.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So just to reiterate (because I need this ability badly), there is no way to manually sync music from two locations, correct?

i.e. I can't manually add songs at home, go to work, manually drop a mix to my phone, bring it home and add it to my library.... right?

Even if I couldn't bring it back to my library, adding ANYthing at work will wipe out ANYthing I've added at home... right? (we're talking music only here)

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Sorry, I don't know of any way to sync music from two computers. There may be some sort of software you can buy or hack you can do to your phone that would accomplish it but with iTunes and a stock phone, no, there is no way.

Somebody else may be able to tell you more, sorry.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You can use SwapTunes to sync two different sets of music to an iPhone but they aren't active at the same time. Not sure about manually managing music as I don't use that don't use that feature.

--
Mike