Sync vs Backup? Too Long

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Not sure if I am confused, but is there a difference in the Sync and backup in iTunes?

I plug my iPhone 3g in and there is a sync button at the bottom. If I click it, the phone says sync in progress (as does iTunes). Then iTunes switches to backup of XXXXX iPhone.

The backup takes well over an hour (yes I have read the threads on the uncheck of the "Send Apple info" and it had no decrease in the time of backup). I am using my phone all day and everytime a call comes in during the "backup/sync" it interrupts the process and starts all over again.

What is the best procedure to have iTunes load an update to an app, or a new song, or a tv show without having to go through a backup?

Personally, why does iTunes not show TWO buttons on the iPhone Summary Page BACKUP and SYNC

SYNC would just load new music, contacts, photos, podcasts, etc.

BACKUP would do exactly that! Backup your iPhone completely. We expect and know a backup takes a long time and we could then schedule it at night when the phone is not in use (and do not care how long it takes).

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well, when you click on sync, and it goes to back-up, if you want it to just sync, click on the x in the circle where it says backing up. If you do this, it'll cancel the back-up, and just sync the phone, but there are possibilities that it can corrupt your back-up files.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Not sure if I am confused, but is there a difference in the Sync and backup in iTunes?

I plug my iPhone 3g in and there is a sync button at the bottom. If I click it, the phone says sync in progress (as does iTunes). Then iTunes switches to backup of XXXXX iPhone.

The backup takes well over an hour (yes I have read the threads on the uncheck of the "Send Apple info" and it had no decrease in the time of backup). I am using my phone all day and everytime a call comes in during the "backup/sync" it interrupts the process and starts all over again.

What is the best procedure to have iTunes load an update to an app, or a new song, or a tv show without having to go through a backup?

Personally, why does iTunes not show TWO buttons on the iPhone Summary Page BACKUP and SYNC

SYNC would just load new music, contacts, photos, podcasts, etc.

BACKUP would do exactly that! Backup your iPhone completely. We expect and know a backup takes a long time and we could then schedule it at night when the phone is not in use (and do not care how long it takes).
If it is taking an hour to complete your backup then your backup file is obviously corrupt. You should delete the file and allow iTunes to create a new error free backup file.

Your backup should take between 3-5 minutes when it is just doing an incremental backup. However when you delete the corrupt file and allow it to create a new one it will definitely take close to an hour to complete because it is making a backup of every file on your phone. Once it has a good file to work from it only backups the changes you've made since the last sync.

As for getting phone calls when you're either backing up or syncing your phone, just put the phone in Airplane mode before you do the sync. When the back up process is cancelled for whatever reason whether it is to take a phone call or if you intentionally cancel it, the chances of getting a corrupt file rises greatly.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I am thinking my backup file is corrupt.

How do I delete the backup file and start over? Is my data safe deleting the file?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado

How do I delete the backup file and start over? Is my data safe deleting the file?
Yes it is absolutely safe and honestly probably much safer than with a corrupt backup file which is essentially useless.

If you're on a pc, open iTunes go to Edit > Preferences > Syncing
There you'll see your back up file. Select it and a new button will pop up that says Remove Back Up ... click that

Now be patient when you allow it to do a new backup... it will take a while so take the dog for a walk or go for a run. Allow it to complete it and I can almost guarantee you the backups following that will be done in 3-5 minutes.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
why not just do it nightly, it does charge while connected to the computer
Doing it nightly isn't always feasible because it forces a backup anytime you change something on your phone. You shouldn't have to wait until you go to bed to add a new application, video or album to your phone.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado

Don't forget to put it in Airplane mode before you start the process to ensure the file doesn't get corrupted should you get a call at the 55 minute mark.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
What does the Airplane mode do? Prevent the phone from ringing?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
What does the Airplane mode do? Prevent the phone from ringing?
Exactly. Otherwise, if your backup is near completion and you get a phone call it aborts the backup which in turn can potentially corrupt the file. You want to make certain your backup is completed without any interruption. Once the file becomes corrupt then you're dealing with hour+ future backups just to add anything new to your file system.

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
If you're on a pc, open iTunes go to Edit > Preferences > Syncing
There you'll see your back up file. Select it and a new button will pop up that says Remove Back Up ... click that

Now be patient when you allow it to do a new backup... it will take a while so take the dog for a walk or go for a run. Allow it to complete it and I can almost guarantee you the backups following that will be done in 3-5 minutes.
Don't have the "thanks" button yet, so I'll thank you the old-fashioned way. I discovered multiple backup files there, deleted them all, and now all works as you said. And apparently even with "send to Apple" active (since I couldn't find a way to turn that off).

So thanks!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Don't have the "thanks" button yet, so I'll thank you the old-fashioned way. I discovered multiple backup files there, deleted them all, and now all works as you said. And apparently even with "send to Apple" active (since I couldn't find a way to turn that off).

So thanks!
You're welcome! Glad it worked for you.

As I've said numerous times my backups complete in less than 5 minutes and I have never had to restore my phone. There's a lot ot be said about the corrupt backup files.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado

So thanks!
If you want to turn that feature off Wiggo do this:
Open iTunes
Plug your iPhone in
When iTunes recognizes your phone, on the left where your phone is listed (I think it's under devices but not looking at it right now) select your phone and Right Click
Choose Reset Warnings
Eject your iPhone
Reconnect iPhone
This time you'll get a pop up asking you if you want to send diagnostics to Apple, Choose NO and select Don't Ask Again!

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Just and update. I deleted all my former backups (assuming they were corrupt) and I reset everything so it does not send info to Apple and the sync history.

Completed a fresh backup (which took a while as expected (couple of hours).

Then I ejected and reconnected to do a another backup.

The backup is shorter, but not in the 3 -5 minute range. Much longer.

I have 10g free, so its not taking longer due to the data.

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
Open iTunes
Plug your iPhone in
When iTunes recognizes your phone, on the left where your phone is listed (I think it's under devices but not looking at it right now) select your phone and Right Click
Choose Reset Warnings
Eject your iPhone
Reconnect iPhone
This time you'll get a pop up asking you if you want to send diagnostics to Apple, Choose NO and select Don't Ask Again!
Thanks again. Worked like a charm, though didn't improve backup/synch times perceptibly (probably because deleting the corrupt files was so dramatic).

sprintrjm

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle
slllooow sync

My phone was syncing in 2-5 min before i had to do a full hard reset.

With my phone all freshened up, it takes about an hour to do a backup.

I have done all the regular things to fix this.

Deleted the old backups.

Reset the warnings

Stopped the data to Apple.

Tried a different usb port on my computer

soft reset my phone

rebooted my computer

pulled my hair out

pwned it again.

I still have the super slow backup.

The only other thing i can think of, is to delete iTunes off my computer and re-install it.

help

midooo

Dec 15, 2007
jeeeez, my backup also has been taking forever. I deleted the old ones and now it's been like 3 hous. I'm running 2.0.2 and 7.7.1 iTunes. what do you suggest?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
jeeeez, my backup also has been taking forever. I deleted the old ones and now it's been like 3 hous. I'm running 2.0.2 and 7.7.1 iTunes. what do you suggest?
The first backup after deleting the old one IS going to take a while. Don't give up hope yet. After this, the other backups should be at normal times.